AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Church and government: together for life and for peace
Margarita (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Margarita (Venezuela), Mgr. Jorge Anibal Quintero Chacón, told the local press that the Church expects to be called to establish a joint project with authorities and work together in the Movement for Peace and Life.
The Movement for Peace and Life is a government initiative , launched on April 14, 2013, to preserve the life of Venezuelans in favor of promoting a culture of peaceful coexistence and solidarity.
"This movement is an invitation to Venezuelans to carry out a leading role in participating in the construction of alternatives solutions to the problem of violence and insecurity, demystifying the idea that this unique task belongs to the State police".
"We have finished and presented the diocesan pastoral plan that promotes respect and love towards others. Movement for Peace and Life, presents initiatives similar to ours, so we hope they call us" said the Bishop of Margarita in a press conference yesterday. The Archbishop stressed that the Church has always worked to promote peace and harmony of nations based on mutual respect.
"80 percent of the population in this area is Catholic" - the Bishop writes in the note sent to Fides. "So the Church's participation in a plan for citizen disarmament or for the resolution of conflicts, should be a priority for State authorities".
Venezuela in recent years has seen an increase in the number of crimes in different cities of the country while a part of the common criminals are giving rise to organized gangs further fueling the cycle of violence . (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/01/2014)
- 2014-04-16 - "The situation of the country does not depend only on a political issue", said Mgr. Parra Sandoval
- 2014-04-14 - Cardinal Urosa invites to find every possible path to solve the serious problems in the country, due to general discomfort
- 2014-04-11 - Pope Francis writes to Venezuelan leaders and opposition ahead of key talks
- 2014-04-08 - Growing concerns about insecurity, while today Maduro meets the opposition
- 2014-04-03 - The Bishops alarm after two months of violence: "Venezuela government seeks 'totalitarian' regime"
- 2014-03-29 - The Holy See "willing and eager" to help Venezuela
- 2014-03-25 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue is "necessary" to stop violence
- 2014-03-21 - Bishops, missionaries, believers from all over the country: we want peace!
- 2014-03-15 - The Church: stop to the violence in Venezuela
- 2014-03-11 - One cannot stop violence with violence