AMERICA/UNITED STATES - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
Washington (Agenzia Fides - President Obama declared independence from Congress on Tuesday as he vowed to tackle economic disparity with a series of limited initiatives on jobs, wages and retirement that he will enact without legislative approval, a move that will probably inflame the already tense relations between the democratic President and Republicans. Obama as well as raising the minimum wage announced a turning point regarding immigration policy: it is urgent to reform the system permanently.
The Catholic Church had highlighted on many occasions the importance of resolving the problem of "undocumented" persons.
"If we are serious about economic growth, it is time to finally reform our immigration system" Obama said.
The mention of an immigration reform, even though it was short, sparked a standing ovation from the entire Congress. Obama, the Democrat, on other occasions had insisted that perhaps "it is pointless" to change the current system if there is no way for millions of undocumented immigrants to obtain citizenship. However, yesterday in his speech, he avoided mentioning the controversial issue. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/01/2014)
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops on the crisis in Ukraine: "We raise our voice in defense of religious liberty"
- 2014-02-25 AMERICA/ UNITED STATES – The Church should never forget her duty to accompany immigrants towards integration
- 2014-02-13 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - American Indians: neglected and marginalized, but have great capacities
- 2014-01-29 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
- 2014-01-15 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
- 2014-01-14 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "They take care of our children and build our homes, but they have no rights": for a more humane approach towards immigrants
- 2014-01-13 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water
- 2013-10-14 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Education cannot wait": due to conflicts about 29 million children lack education
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Millions of Americans struggle to live": Bishops urgent request to the government