AMERICA/UNITED STATES - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
Washington (Agenzia Fides - President Obama declared independence from Congress on Tuesday as he vowed to tackle economic disparity with a series of limited initiatives on jobs, wages and retirement that he will enact without legislative approval, a move that will probably inflame the already tense relations between the democratic President and Republicans. Obama as well as raising the minimum wage announced a turning point regarding immigration policy: it is urgent to reform the system permanently.
The Catholic Church had highlighted on many occasions the importance of resolving the problem of "undocumented" persons.
"If we are serious about economic growth, it is time to finally reform our immigration system" Obama said.
The mention of an immigration reform, even though it was short, sparked a standing ovation from the entire Congress. Obama, the Democrat, on other occasions had insisted that perhaps "it is pointless" to change the current system if there is no way for millions of undocumented immigrants to obtain citizenship. However, yesterday in his speech, he avoided mentioning the controversial issue. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/01/2014)
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop of Baltimore: "truth will heal the wounds"
- 2015-04-10 - New appeal to the President to finally solve the problems of immigrant families
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"