AMERICA/UNITED STATES - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
Washington (Agenzia Fides - President Obama declared independence from Congress on Tuesday as he vowed to tackle economic disparity with a series of limited initiatives on jobs, wages and retirement that he will enact without legislative approval, a move that will probably inflame the already tense relations between the democratic President and Republicans. Obama as well as raising the minimum wage announced a turning point regarding immigration policy: it is urgent to reform the system permanently.
The Catholic Church had highlighted on many occasions the importance of resolving the problem of "undocumented" persons.
"If we are serious about economic growth, it is time to finally reform our immigration system" Obama said.
The mention of an immigration reform, even though it was short, sparked a standing ovation from the entire Congress. Obama, the Democrat, on other occasions had insisted that perhaps "it is pointless" to change the current system if there is no way for millions of undocumented immigrants to obtain citizenship. However, yesterday in his speech, he avoided mentioning the controversial issue. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/01/2014)
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: not only diplomatic relations with Cuba, but also cooperation in various fields
- 2014-11-21 - The Church on the measures for immigrants: "We have a long history of welcoming..."
- 2014-11-20 - 2 and a half million children live in shelters, on the streets or in cars
- 2014-11-18 - Letter of the Bishops of Texas and Ciudad Juarez: "We invite the Pope to come and visit the border area"
- 2014-11-14 - New version of the Catechism of the Catholic Church online, in English and Spanish
- 2014-11-13 - Students attending Catholic schools increase
- 2014-10-24 - Millions of children and young people feel unsafe in their families
- 2014-09-22 - Waiting for the reform, migrant families continue to be divided
- 2014-09-11 - In few days 25 thousand Iraqi Chaldeans have registered in the lists to apply for a USA visa
- 2014-07-26 - "Looking for a lawyer to represent undocumented children"