AMERICA/UNITED STATES - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
Washington (Agenzia Fides - President Obama declared independence from Congress on Tuesday as he vowed to tackle economic disparity with a series of limited initiatives on jobs, wages and retirement that he will enact without legislative approval, a move that will probably inflame the already tense relations between the democratic President and Republicans. Obama as well as raising the minimum wage announced a turning point regarding immigration policy: it is urgent to reform the system permanently.
The Catholic Church had highlighted on many occasions the importance of resolving the problem of "undocumented" persons.
"If we are serious about economic growth, it is time to finally reform our immigration system" Obama said.
The mention of an immigration reform, even though it was short, sparked a standing ovation from the entire Congress. Obama, the Democrat, on other occasions had insisted that perhaps "it is pointless" to change the current system if there is no way for millions of undocumented immigrants to obtain citizenship. However, yesterday in his speech, he avoided mentioning the controversial issue. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/01/2014)
- 2015-10-24 - Bishop says: “repatriation for minors is sometimes a death sentence
- 2015-10-23 - “We still have a humanitarian crisis on our hands”: testimony of El Paso Bishop
- 2015-09-07 - New health center for basic assistance and nutrition for women and children
- 2015-08-20 - Over 50 thousand Hispanics waiting for the Pope in Washington
- 2015-08-06 - Mgr. Farrell remembers Catholics the duty to welcome foreigners
- 2015-08-05 - Bishops praise Obama's plan to cutt carbon dioxide emissions
- 2015-07-29 - Local Catholic Church applauds order to release detained Central American families
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"