AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - At least 26 people were killed in an attack against a Catholic church in the village of Waga Chakawa, in the Adamawa State in northern Nigeria. According to testimonies collected by the Nigerian newspaper "The Guardian" the attack was conducted by a group of armed men, suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect, during Sunday Mass, on January 26.
In the attack which lasted from 10 am to 2 pm, in addition to the church, several homes were attacked. The commandos had used firearms and explosive devices.
Fr. Raymond Danbouye, Director of Communications of the Diocese of Yola, confirmed the attack against the church, but reserved the right to provide further details. Communications in the area are difficult because the authorities blocked telephone and mobile lines. The State of Adamawa is one of the three northern states of Nigeria (the others are Borno and Yobe) where in May a state of emergency was declared to allow the army to conduct a vast offensive against Boko Haram.
Also on Sunday, January 26, fifty members of Boko Haram attacked the villages of Kauwuri and Wala, killing at least 54 people. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/NIGERIA - “Move army command to epicentre of Boko Haram violence” Nigerian Senate orders
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The latest massacre of civilians unfortunately does not surprise me" says the Archbishop of Jos to Fides
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "No imposition of secular values in Africa," said the Archbishop of Jos
- 2014-02-05 AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
- 2014-01-29 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "military response alone does not solve anything", says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-01-28 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"