AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - At least 26 people were killed in an attack against a Catholic church in the village of Waga Chakawa, in the Adamawa State in northern Nigeria. According to testimonies collected by the Nigerian newspaper "The Guardian" the attack was conducted by a group of armed men, suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect, during Sunday Mass, on January 26.
In the attack which lasted from 10 am to 2 pm, in addition to the church, several homes were attacked. The commandos had used firearms and explosive devices.
Fr. Raymond Danbouye, Director of Communications of the Diocese of Yola, confirmed the attack against the church, but reserved the right to provide further details. Communications in the area are difficult because the authorities blocked telephone and mobile lines. The State of Adamawa is one of the three northern states of Nigeria (the others are Borno and Yobe) where in May a state of emergency was declared to allow the army to conduct a vast offensive against Boko Haram.
Also on Sunday, January 26, fifty members of Boko Haram attacked the villages of Kauwuri and Wala, killing at least 54 people. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2015-04-14 - Mgr. Kaigama: "It is worrying that we do not know anything about the Chibok girls one year after their kidnapping"
- 2015-04-14 - The Bishops in Ibadan: "We are concerned about the violation regarding the sanctity of life"
- 2015-04-08 - "Do not give in to the temptation of revenge", says the Bishop of Maiduguri to the displaced persons who have returned to their destroyed homes
- 2015-04-01 - Muhammadu Buhari elected President; Bishops invite to respect the result
- 2015-03-30 - "Boko Haram failed to prevent the holding of elections", says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-03-28 - Caritas: "There is hope of allowing refugees to return to their homes, but destruction is enormous"
- 2015-03-27 - On the eve of the vote 90% of the areas freed from Boko Haram; "Why was it not done before?"
- 2015-03-25 - "Elections can be held in Maiduguri" says the Bishop
- 2015-03-23 - Cardinal Onaiyekan: "We need a change in policy, people are tired"
- 2015-03-18 - No trace of the schoolgirls abducted in areas reconquered by the army