AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - At least 26 people were killed in an attack against a Catholic church in the village of Waga Chakawa, in the Adamawa State in northern Nigeria. According to testimonies collected by the Nigerian newspaper "The Guardian" the attack was conducted by a group of armed men, suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect, during Sunday Mass, on January 26.
In the attack which lasted from 10 am to 2 pm, in addition to the church, several homes were attacked. The commandos had used firearms and explosive devices.
Fr. Raymond Danbouye, Director of Communications of the Diocese of Yola, confirmed the attack against the church, but reserved the right to provide further details. Communications in the area are difficult because the authorities blocked telephone and mobile lines. The State of Adamawa is one of the three northern states of Nigeria (the others are Borno and Yobe) where in May a state of emergency was declared to allow the army to conduct a vast offensive against Boko Haram.
Also on Sunday, January 26, fifty members of Boko Haram attacked the villages of Kauwuri and Wala, killing at least 54 people. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops support President Buhari's campaign against corruption
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"
- 2015-07-15 - Boko Haram strikes again, but no longer controls whole territories
- 2015-07-10 - sex marriages in the western world
- 2015-07-06 - New attacks of Boko Haram: a mosque and a Protestant Church
- 2015-07-03 - "Boko Haram wants to punish Muslims who rebel against their violence", says a priest from Abuja
- 2015-07-01 - "Precarious security and non-existent infrastructure in the areas liberated by Boko Haram" reports the Bishop of Yola
- 2015-06-24 - "Despite the latest attacks, we hope that Boko Haram will be soon defeated" says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-06-22 - Priest kidnapped on June 8 has been released, no ransom was paid