AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - At least 26 people were killed in an attack against a Catholic church in the village of Waga Chakawa, in the Adamawa State in northern Nigeria. According to testimonies collected by the Nigerian newspaper "The Guardian" the attack was conducted by a group of armed men, suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect, during Sunday Mass, on January 26.
In the attack which lasted from 10 am to 2 pm, in addition to the church, several homes were attacked. The commandos had used firearms and explosive devices.
Fr. Raymond Danbouye, Director of Communications of the Diocese of Yola, confirmed the attack against the church, but reserved the right to provide further details. Communications in the area are difficult because the authorities blocked telephone and mobile lines. The State of Adamawa is one of the three northern states of Nigeria (the others are Borno and Yobe) where in May a state of emergency was declared to allow the army to conduct a vast offensive against Boko Haram.
Also on Sunday, January 26, fifty members of Boko Haram attacked the villages of Kauwuri and Wala, killing at least 54 people. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2014-12-17 - The parishes of Maiduguri cares for more than 5,000 displaced people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-12-01 - Boko Haram: assault on the capital of Yobe, new victims over the weekend
- 2014-11-29 - Mgr. Kaigama: "Boko Haram attacks Muslims who do not think like them"
- 2014-11-27 - Boko Haram plans attacks with suicide women bombers disguised as nuns
- 2014-11-19 - File: the damage inflicted by Boko Haram to the diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-19 - More than 100,000 Catholics scattered because of Boko Haram, "but we remain to bear witness with our presence", said a priest of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-18 - The President of the Episcopal Conference warns: "The 2015 elections will create a political situation that will be explosive"
- 2014-11-10 - Archbishop Kaigama: "Politicians must abandon the electoral struggle and unite to fight Boko Haram"
- 2014-11-06 - National Prayer Vigil for peace in the nation
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram