AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - At least 26 people were killed in an attack against a Catholic church in the village of Waga Chakawa, in the Adamawa State in northern Nigeria. According to testimonies collected by the Nigerian newspaper "The Guardian" the attack was conducted by a group of armed men, suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect, during Sunday Mass, on January 26.
In the attack which lasted from 10 am to 2 pm, in addition to the church, several homes were attacked. The commandos had used firearms and explosive devices.
Fr. Raymond Danbouye, Director of Communications of the Diocese of Yola, confirmed the attack against the church, but reserved the right to provide further details. Communications in the area are difficult because the authorities blocked telephone and mobile lines. The State of Adamawa is one of the three northern states of Nigeria (the others are Borno and Yobe) where in May a state of emergency was declared to allow the army to conduct a vast offensive against Boko Haram.
Also on Sunday, January 26, fifty members of Boko Haram attacked the villages of Kauwuri and Wala, killing at least 54 people. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2014-09-26 - "I have never uttered those sentences on the CAN President", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2014-09-24 - The Bishops’ warning: "In the face of Boko Haram, the nation is in danger"
- 2014-09-19 - There are 25 cities in the hands of Boko Haram: the complaint of the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2014-09-16 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – Death sentence for military: insecurity symptom among troops combatting Boko Haram
- 2014-09-15 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – At least 2,500 Catholics killed in violence by Boko Haram, Bishop of Maiduguri reports
- 2014-09-13 - "There is no fighting in Maiduguri, but the army patrols the churches"
- 2014-09-10 - Not even its Nigerian sponsors can control Boko Haram, now an international organisation
- 2014-09-06 - “Christians, but also Muslims, flee from Boko Haram” say local Church sources
- 2014-09-04 - “What is happening in the north of Nigeria is similar to what happened in Iraq” says a priest in Abuja
- 2014-08-22 - More than 11,000 people fleeing due to the conquest of their city by Boko Haram