ASIA/SYRIA - Masses and vigils for father Dall'Oglio six months after his abduction
Raqqa (Agenzia Fides) - On 29 July 2013, the Roman Jesuit Paolo Dall'Oglio was kidnapped in Raqqa, Syria's largest city controlled by Islamist militias of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). Since then, we have not had any news regarding the Italian religious. Masses and prayer vigils to ask the Lord for the gift of his release, along with that of others who have been kidnapped in the Arab Country torn apart by the conflict, have been announced in different cities around the world.
On Wednesday, March 29, in Milan, at the Jesuit church of San Fedele in Piazza San Fedele, a Mass will be celebrated at 7:30 pm.
At the same time in Rome a Mass for Father Paolo will be celebrated in St. Joseph church, in Via Francesco Redi 1.
Similar initiatives will also take place in Beirut, Berlin, Brussels, Doha, Dubai, Geneva, Grenoble, Montreal, Paris, London and many other cities around the world. The network of liturgies and vigils for the release of Fr. Dall'Oglio was promoted by his friends of the monastic community of Khalil – set up by the Roman Jesuit in the Syrian monastery of Deir Mar Musa. "We are like one of those many Iraqi or Syrian families who suffer from the absence of a loved one", write the monks and nuns of the Community in a message sent to Fides Agency, where they say: "we will read excerpts from Fr. Dall’Oglio’s texts, and share the hope of seeing him again soon with us. The spirit of the event is human and spiritual rather than political". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed
- 2015-04-09 - Caritas operator dies in the bombing in Aleppo
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"