ASIA/SYRIA - Masses and vigils for father Dall'Oglio six months after his abduction
Raqqa (Agenzia Fides) - On 29 July 2013, the Roman Jesuit Paolo Dall'Oglio was kidnapped in Raqqa, Syria's largest city controlled by Islamist militias of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). Since then, we have not had any news regarding the Italian religious. Masses and prayer vigils to ask the Lord for the gift of his release, along with that of others who have been kidnapped in the Arab Country torn apart by the conflict, have been announced in different cities around the world.
On Wednesday, March 29, in Milan, at the Jesuit church of San Fedele in Piazza San Fedele, a Mass will be celebrated at 7:30 pm.
At the same time in Rome a Mass for Father Paolo will be celebrated in St. Joseph church, in Via Francesco Redi 1.
Similar initiatives will also take place in Beirut, Berlin, Brussels, Doha, Dubai, Geneva, Grenoble, Montreal, Paris, London and many other cities around the world. The network of liturgies and vigils for the release of Fr. Dall'Oglio was promoted by his friends of the monastic community of Khalil – set up by the Roman Jesuit in the Syrian monastery of Deir Mar Musa. "We are like one of those many Iraqi or Syrian families who suffer from the absence of a loved one", write the monks and nuns of the Community in a message sent to Fides Agency, where they say: "we will read excerpts from Fr. Dall’Oglio’s texts, and share the hope of seeing him again soon with us. The spirit of the event is human and spiritual rather than political". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2014-12-05 - Melkite Patriarch Grégoire III: al Azhar Conference “fundamental event”. Islamist ideology harms both Christians and Muslims
- 2014-12-01 - Civil war is causing the loss of a generation of children
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers