ASIA/SYRIA - Masses and vigils for father Dall'Oglio six months after his abduction
Raqqa (Agenzia Fides) - On 29 July 2013, the Roman Jesuit Paolo Dall'Oglio was kidnapped in Raqqa, Syria's largest city controlled by Islamist militias of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). Since then, we have not had any news regarding the Italian religious. Masses and prayer vigils to ask the Lord for the gift of his release, along with that of others who have been kidnapped in the Arab Country torn apart by the conflict, have been announced in different cities around the world.
On Wednesday, March 29, in Milan, at the Jesuit church of San Fedele in Piazza San Fedele, a Mass will be celebrated at 7:30 pm.
At the same time in Rome a Mass for Father Paolo will be celebrated in St. Joseph church, in Via Francesco Redi 1.
Similar initiatives will also take place in Beirut, Berlin, Brussels, Doha, Dubai, Geneva, Grenoble, Montreal, Paris, London and many other cities around the world. The network of liturgies and vigils for the release of Fr. Dall'Oglio was promoted by his friends of the monastic community of Khalil – set up by the Roman Jesuit in the Syrian monastery of Deir Mar Musa. "We are like one of those many Iraqi or Syrian families who suffer from the absence of a loved one", write the monks and nuns of the Community in a message sent to Fides Agency, where they say: "we will read excerpts from Fr. Dall’Oglio’s texts, and share the hope of seeing him again soon with us. The spirit of the event is human and spiritual rather than political". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus
- 2015-06-12 - President Assad meets the Patriarch and the Synod of Syrian-Orthodox Bishops
- 2015-06-11 - Jihadist militants of al Nusra Front massacre dozens of Druze civilians in Idlib
- 2015-06-09 - The five Patriarchs of Antioch in Damascus: no to the disintegration of Syria
- 2015-06-01 - Muslim leaders for the release of father Murad, but the kidnappers are foreign to the social fabric
- 2015-05-30 - Bishop of Aleppo: unreliable rumors on a jihadist beheaded by an Assyrian soldier. Christians never justify revenge with religious issues