ASIA/SYRIA - Masses and vigils for father Dall'Oglio six months after his abduction
Raqqa (Agenzia Fides) - On 29 July 2013, the Roman Jesuit Paolo Dall'Oglio was kidnapped in Raqqa, Syria's largest city controlled by Islamist militias of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). Since then, we have not had any news regarding the Italian religious. Masses and prayer vigils to ask the Lord for the gift of his release, along with that of others who have been kidnapped in the Arab Country torn apart by the conflict, have been announced in different cities around the world.
On Wednesday, March 29, in Milan, at the Jesuit church of San Fedele in Piazza San Fedele, a Mass will be celebrated at 7:30 pm.
At the same time in Rome a Mass for Father Paolo will be celebrated in St. Joseph church, in Via Francesco Redi 1.
Similar initiatives will also take place in Beirut, Berlin, Brussels, Doha, Dubai, Geneva, Grenoble, Montreal, Paris, London and many other cities around the world. The network of liturgies and vigils for the release of Fr. Dall'Oglio was promoted by his friends of the monastic community of Khalil – set up by the Roman Jesuit in the Syrian monastery of Deir Mar Musa. "We are like one of those many Iraqi or Syrian families who suffer from the absence of a loved one", write the monks and nuns of the Community in a message sent to Fides Agency, where they say: "we will read excerpts from Fr. Dall’Oglio’s texts, and share the hope of seeing him again soon with us. The spirit of the event is human and spiritual rather than political". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2015-05-28 - Appeal of the Marists of Aleppo to the Pope: if you want Christians to remain, the war must be stopped
- 2015-05-27 - Assyrian hostages: jihadists release two women
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus