AMERICA/PERU - Dispute between Peru and Chile: an example of how to resolve differences in a peaceful manner
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - Peru and Chile are an example to the world of how to resolve their differences in a peaceful manner, resorting to the International Court of Justice in The Hague to resolve the dispute over maritime borders (see Fides 09/01/2014; 21/01/2014 ): This is what was said by the President of the Peruvian Episcopal Conference (CEP), His Exc. Mgr. Salvador Pineiro, Archbishop of Ayacucho. The judgment of the International Court redraws the maritime border between Peru and Chile, giving more than half of about forty thousand square kilometers (object of the dispute) to Lima, and leaving the bulk of the rich fishing areas to Santiago. The judgment should lead to an improvement in relations between the two Countries. Now it is up to Peru and Chile to establish the boundaries in detail, since they are committed to respecting the verdict of the United Nations court.
"It is the first time that we look for solutions without weapons, without protest, but through dialogue, reflection and responsibility", the Archbishop said, pointing out that both the governments of Peru and Chile have pledged to respecting the ruling and recognizing the efforts made by the authorities of Peru and Chile in promoting brotherhood. "If it had been easy, we would not have gone to court.
The note sent to Fides concludes with the wish of Mgr. Pineiro: "The people of Peru and Chile are interested in further strengthening bilateral relations, because they both love freedom, they believe in democracy and justice". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation
- 2014-11-15 - "Network for a Culture of meeting", also Cusco present at the XIII Meeting of RIIAL
- 2014-11-05 - The Bishops are always close to the 3 and a half million Peruvians away from home
- 2014-10-31 - Thousands of young people on pilgrimage instead of the "Feast of Hallowen"
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth
- 2014-09-23 - "Gold fever" increases human trafficking and sexual exploitation