AMERICA/PERU - Dispute between Peru and Chile: an example of how to resolve differences in a peaceful manner
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - Peru and Chile are an example to the world of how to resolve their differences in a peaceful manner, resorting to the International Court of Justice in The Hague to resolve the dispute over maritime borders (see Fides 09/01/2014; 21/01/2014 ): This is what was said by the President of the Peruvian Episcopal Conference (CEP), His Exc. Mgr. Salvador Pineiro, Archbishop of Ayacucho. The judgment of the International Court redraws the maritime border between Peru and Chile, giving more than half of about forty thousand square kilometers (object of the dispute) to Lima, and leaving the bulk of the rich fishing areas to Santiago. The judgment should lead to an improvement in relations between the two Countries. Now it is up to Peru and Chile to establish the boundaries in detail, since they are committed to respecting the verdict of the United Nations court.
"It is the first time that we look for solutions without weapons, without protest, but through dialogue, reflection and responsibility", the Archbishop said, pointing out that both the governments of Peru and Chile have pledged to respecting the ruling and recognizing the efforts made by the authorities of Peru and Chile in promoting brotherhood. "If it had been easy, we would not have gone to court.
The note sent to Fides concludes with the wish of Mgr. Pineiro: "The people of Peru and Chile are interested in further strengthening bilateral relations, because they both love freedom, they believe in democracy and justice". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2014-09-10 - “Young people without frontiers”: witnesses and proclaimers of the faith to the world of today
- 2014-09-05 - Elections: Bishops concerned about serious signs of corruption and distrust in politics
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"