AMERICA/PERU - Dispute between Peru and Chile: an example of how to resolve differences in a peaceful manner
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - Peru and Chile are an example to the world of how to resolve their differences in a peaceful manner, resorting to the International Court of Justice in The Hague to resolve the dispute over maritime borders (see Fides 09/01/2014; 21/01/2014 ): This is what was said by the President of the Peruvian Episcopal Conference (CEP), His Exc. Mgr. Salvador Pineiro, Archbishop of Ayacucho. The judgment of the International Court redraws the maritime border between Peru and Chile, giving more than half of about forty thousand square kilometers (object of the dispute) to Lima, and leaving the bulk of the rich fishing areas to Santiago. The judgment should lead to an improvement in relations between the two Countries. Now it is up to Peru and Chile to establish the boundaries in detail, since they are committed to respecting the verdict of the United Nations court.
"It is the first time that we look for solutions without weapons, without protest, but through dialogue, reflection and responsibility", the Archbishop said, pointing out that both the governments of Peru and Chile have pledged to respecting the ruling and recognizing the efforts made by the authorities of Peru and Chile in promoting brotherhood. "If it had been easy, we would not have gone to court.
The note sent to Fides concludes with the wish of Mgr. Pineiro: "The people of Peru and Chile are interested in further strengthening bilateral relations, because they both love freedom, they believe in democracy and justice". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need