AMERICA/PERU - Dispute between Peru and Chile: an example of how to resolve differences in a peaceful manner
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - Peru and Chile are an example to the world of how to resolve their differences in a peaceful manner, resorting to the International Court of Justice in The Hague to resolve the dispute over maritime borders (see Fides 09/01/2014; 21/01/2014 ): This is what was said by the President of the Peruvian Episcopal Conference (CEP), His Exc. Mgr. Salvador Pineiro, Archbishop of Ayacucho. The judgment of the International Court redraws the maritime border between Peru and Chile, giving more than half of about forty thousand square kilometers (object of the dispute) to Lima, and leaving the bulk of the rich fishing areas to Santiago. The judgment should lead to an improvement in relations between the two Countries. Now it is up to Peru and Chile to establish the boundaries in detail, since they are committed to respecting the verdict of the United Nations court.
"It is the first time that we look for solutions without weapons, without protest, but through dialogue, reflection and responsibility", the Archbishop said, pointing out that both the governments of Peru and Chile have pledged to respecting the ruling and recognizing the efforts made by the authorities of Peru and Chile in promoting brotherhood. "If it had been easy, we would not have gone to court.
The note sent to Fides concludes with the wish of Mgr. Pineiro: "The people of Peru and Chile are interested in further strengthening bilateral relations, because they both love freedom, they believe in democracy and justice". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2014-03-07 AMERICA/PERU - The Church denounces the alarming pollution of the Peruvian forest
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/PERU’ - “Ninos de plomo” Children of Lead: education programme for mineral contaminated minors
- 2014-02-19 AMERICA/PERU - "For a participated and technical debate": the Bishops on the university law
- 2014-01-28 AMERICA/PERU - Dispute between Peru and Chile: an example of how to resolve differences in a peaceful manner
- 2014-01-21 AMERICA/PERU - In prayer for harmony among the peoples, pending the judgment of the Hague
- 2014-01-20 AMERICA/PERU - The Bishops gathered in Plenary Assembly
- 2014-01-14 AMERICA/PERU - "Without communication, there are no rights"
- 2013-12-21 AMERICA/PERU - Christmas in the sign of solidarity and respect for the rights of all
- 2013-12-18 AMERICA/PERU – A religious woman receives the award for Human Rights
- 2013-12-17 AMERICA/PERU - The social and economic pressure is so strong that it makes us forget the Child Jesus