AMERICA/COSTA RICA – The Bishops' appeal before the vote on February 2: Choose the deputies with attention
Alajuela (Agenzia Fides) - The representatives of the Catholic Church in Costa Rica have asked the faithful to pay close attention to the choice of the deputies rather than the President, in the upcoming election on February 2. "The most important thing is not the president. For us it is the legislature.
According to the note sent to Fides, the recommendation had already appeared in the Bishops' document entitled "Re-instate politics", in which the Catholic Bishops' Conference established the criteria with which "to illuminate" the electoral choice. In some dioceses, such as that of Carthage, in the months of December and January all parish groups were convened to discuss the document in weekly or biweekly meetings (see Fides 20/11/2013).
Among the eight criteria highlighted by the Bishops to assess various political proposals, in first place there is the respect for life, which also includes the right to life before birth. "No one can dispose of their own life or that of others. Defending this law is the basis for a truly democratic society", says the document of the Episcopal Conference. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/01/2014)
- 2014-04-07 - Presidential elections: the Bishops urge unity for peace, solidarity, justice and holiness
- 2014-02-15 - Bishops to MPs: "only wear the shirt of Costa Rica"
- 2014-01-27 - AMERICA/COSTA RICA – The Bishops' appeal before the vote on February 2: Choose the deputies with attention
- 2014-01-08 - The new Bishop of El General calls on Costa Ricans to vote on February 2
- 2013-11-20 - From December, all the parishes will reflect on the Bishops’ document in view of elections
- 2013-11-19 - Alert concerning dengue cases among children under 4 years of age: since 2013 1,500 have been infected
- 2013-11-14 - Appeal rejected: the Bishops' document on the election does not favor any party
- 2013-10-28 - " It is time to act!": Families in defense of life, the first human right
- 2013-10-01 - Poverty rate remains constant and alarming
- 2013-10-01 - The Church offers criteria to elect the next President: a document is being prepared