AMERICA/MEXICO - Annual pilgrimage of young people: more than 32 thousand pray for peace
Guanajuato (Agenzia Fides) - "Brotherhood and prayer are the antidotes against social evils that destroy lives, families and businesses", said His Exc. Mgr. Christophe Pierre, Apostolic Nuncio in Mexico, in front of about 32 thousand people, almost all young people, who gathered for the XXXI National Youth Pilgrimage to Mount Cristo Rey, in Guanajuato, on Saturday, January 25.
"Give, O Lord, peace to your people", said Mgr. Pierre, who presided over the Mass concelebrated by 3 Bishops (from León, Querétaro and Nezahualcoyotl), and 25 priests from different parts of the country. The Nuncio urged pilgrims not to be indifferent to the social reality and to deal with problems such as organized crime, money laundering, prostitution, human trafficking and violence, with Christian values.
During Mass the young John Bosco and Cesar Fernando, killed in 1975 during a pilgrimage to Cerro del Cubilete, and Cardinal Juan Jesus Posadas Ocampo, who was killed in Guadalajara, Jalisco, in 1993 were remembered.
Solidarity was also expressed to the Bishop of Apatzingán in Michoacan, His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Patiño Velázquez, who publicly denounced the violence that affects the population because of criminal organizations (see Fides 17/01/2014) .
The pilgrimage involves young people from different states of the country, who walk on foot for more than 14 kilometers to the place where there is the statue of Christ the King (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/01/2014)
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature
- 2015-07-27 - Mariachi Zombie: amusing animated television series discredits bad zombie myth
- 2015-07-22 - Truth, justice, forgiveness and reconciliation: the pillars of peace promoted by the Church
- 2015-07-20 - Young Chiapas form an orchestra with pre-Hispanic instruments
- 2015-07-14 - Bishops on the escape of El Chapo, "we are not naive, we must eradicate corruption"
- 2015-07-13 - "Corruption spreads when transparency remains only good intentions": the Catholic voice before the scandals
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend