AMERICA/MEXICO - Annual pilgrimage of young people: more than 32 thousand pray for peace
Guanajuato (Agenzia Fides) - "Brotherhood and prayer are the antidotes against social evils that destroy lives, families and businesses", said His Exc. Mgr. Christophe Pierre, Apostolic Nuncio in Mexico, in front of about 32 thousand people, almost all young people, who gathered for the XXXI National Youth Pilgrimage to Mount Cristo Rey, in Guanajuato, on Saturday, January 25.
"Give, O Lord, peace to your people", said Mgr. Pierre, who presided over the Mass concelebrated by 3 Bishops (from León, Querétaro and Nezahualcoyotl), and 25 priests from different parts of the country. The Nuncio urged pilgrims not to be indifferent to the social reality and to deal with problems such as organized crime, money laundering, prostitution, human trafficking and violence, with Christian values.
During Mass the young John Bosco and Cesar Fernando, killed in 1975 during a pilgrimage to Cerro del Cubilete, and Cardinal Juan Jesus Posadas Ocampo, who was killed in Guadalajara, Jalisco, in 1993 were remembered.
Solidarity was also expressed to the Bishop of Apatzingán in Michoacan, His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Patiño Velázquez, who publicly denounced the violence that affects the population because of criminal organizations (see Fides 17/01/2014) .
The pilgrimage involves young people from different states of the country, who walk on foot for more than 14 kilometers to the place where there is the statue of Christ the King (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/01/2014)
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement
- 2014-03-03 AMERICA/MEXICO - Five thousand people with the Bishop to march for peace and the family
- 2014-02-24 AMERICA/MEXICO - “We must be all involved to stop the violence” says the Bishop of Zacatecas
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/MEXICO - Prevention is not enough: Church, state and society must work together to combat human trafficking
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Society based on the family": opening of the Year of the Family in the Diocese of Orizaba
- 2014-02-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - Authorities have to talk less and be more effective in terms of safety
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Solidarity with the nuns assaulted and request to solve the problem of land
- 2014-02-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church concerned about the influenza that kills
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - "The use of drugs cannot be fought with drugs", the Archdiocese against the bill