AMERICA/MEXICO - Annual pilgrimage of young people: more than 32 thousand pray for peace
Guanajuato (Agenzia Fides) - "Brotherhood and prayer are the antidotes against social evils that destroy lives, families and businesses", said His Exc. Mgr. Christophe Pierre, Apostolic Nuncio in Mexico, in front of about 32 thousand people, almost all young people, who gathered for the XXXI National Youth Pilgrimage to Mount Cristo Rey, in Guanajuato, on Saturday, January 25.
"Give, O Lord, peace to your people", said Mgr. Pierre, who presided over the Mass concelebrated by 3 Bishops (from León, Querétaro and Nezahualcoyotl), and 25 priests from different parts of the country. The Nuncio urged pilgrims not to be indifferent to the social reality and to deal with problems such as organized crime, money laundering, prostitution, human trafficking and violence, with Christian values.
During Mass the young John Bosco and Cesar Fernando, killed in 1975 during a pilgrimage to Cerro del Cubilete, and Cardinal Juan Jesus Posadas Ocampo, who was killed in Guadalajara, Jalisco, in 1993 were remembered.
Solidarity was also expressed to the Bishop of Apatzingán in Michoacan, His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Patiño Velázquez, who publicly denounced the violence that affects the population because of criminal organizations (see Fides 17/01/2014) .
The pilgrimage involves young people from different states of the country, who walk on foot for more than 14 kilometers to the place where there is the statue of Christ the King (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/01/2014)
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace