AMERICA/MEXICO - Annual pilgrimage of young people: more than 32 thousand pray for peace
Guanajuato (Agenzia Fides) - "Brotherhood and prayer are the antidotes against social evils that destroy lives, families and businesses", said His Exc. Mgr. Christophe Pierre, Apostolic Nuncio in Mexico, in front of about 32 thousand people, almost all young people, who gathered for the XXXI National Youth Pilgrimage to Mount Cristo Rey, in Guanajuato, on Saturday, January 25.
"Give, O Lord, peace to your people", said Mgr. Pierre, who presided over the Mass concelebrated by 3 Bishops (from León, Querétaro and Nezahualcoyotl), and 25 priests from different parts of the country. The Nuncio urged pilgrims not to be indifferent to the social reality and to deal with problems such as organized crime, money laundering, prostitution, human trafficking and violence, with Christian values.
During Mass the young John Bosco and Cesar Fernando, killed in 1975 during a pilgrimage to Cerro del Cubilete, and Cardinal Juan Jesus Posadas Ocampo, who was killed in Guadalajara, Jalisco, in 1993 were remembered.
Solidarity was also expressed to the Bishop of Apatzingán in Michoacan, His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Patiño Velázquez, who publicly denounced the violence that affects the population because of criminal organizations (see Fides 17/01/2014) .
The pilgrimage involves young people from different states of the country, who walk on foot for more than 14 kilometers to the place where there is the statue of Christ the King (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/01/2014)
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime