AMERICA/MEXICO - Annual pilgrimage of young people: more than 32 thousand pray for peace
Guanajuato (Agenzia Fides) - "Brotherhood and prayer are the antidotes against social evils that destroy lives, families and businesses", said His Exc. Mgr. Christophe Pierre, Apostolic Nuncio in Mexico, in front of about 32 thousand people, almost all young people, who gathered for the XXXI National Youth Pilgrimage to Mount Cristo Rey, in Guanajuato, on Saturday, January 25.
"Give, O Lord, peace to your people", said Mgr. Pierre, who presided over the Mass concelebrated by 3 Bishops (from León, Querétaro and Nezahualcoyotl), and 25 priests from different parts of the country. The Nuncio urged pilgrims not to be indifferent to the social reality and to deal with problems such as organized crime, money laundering, prostitution, human trafficking and violence, with Christian values.
During Mass the young John Bosco and Cesar Fernando, killed in 1975 during a pilgrimage to Cerro del Cubilete, and Cardinal Juan Jesus Posadas Ocampo, who was killed in Guadalajara, Jalisco, in 1993 were remembered.
Solidarity was also expressed to the Bishop of Apatzingán in Michoacan, His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Patiño Velázquez, who publicly denounced the violence that affects the population because of criminal organizations (see Fides 17/01/2014) .
The pilgrimage involves young people from different states of the country, who walk on foot for more than 14 kilometers to the place where there is the statue of Christ the King (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/01/2014)
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children