AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Appeal after the murder of two people in a Church: "They want to kill hope"
Cali (Agenzia Fides) - A heartfelt appeal to the State and to armed groups regarding the violence and desecration of the church of St. Cecilia, in Cali, where two people were killed, was launched by the Archbishop of Cali, His Exc. Mgr. Darío de Jesús Monsalve Mejía. "We call on the State and groups of armed violence, to react in an immediate and concrete manner to the events which occured on Friday evening, January 24", said the statement sent to Fides, entitled "They want to kill hope". The Archbishop condemns the desecration of the parish church, where criminals killed a man who had fled to avoid being robbed and a woman, reached by bullets while she was praying, who died the next day.
"The doors of a temple, consecrated and dedicated to the encounter with God and with our brothers and sisters in faith, cannot be subject to acts of violence of any kind", writes the Archbishop. The Archbishop therefore calls on the Colombian government to "immediately begin the disarmament of citizens in order to restore, morally and politically, security", while the Catholic community, along with its Archbishop, prayed and expressed their commitment to peace and rejection of violence. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/01/2014)
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors
- 2015-04-16 - Eleven soldiers killed, the Church asks for a definitive cease-fire
- 2015-04-01 - Special care for children infected with chikungunya
- 2015-03-30 - Joy in the suffering: Sincelejo welcomes the new Bishop remembering the pastor killed
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue