AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Democracy and respect for the human person: the Church encourages us to prepare for the vote
Cúcuta (Agenzia Fides) - In a statement entitled "Pastoral Guidelines in the context of the Congress and the Andean Parliament elections in 2014", the Bishop of Cúcuta, His Exc. Mgr. Julio Cesar Vidal Ortiz, said that the exercise of democracy in the upcoming election is based on equality, respect for the human person and the common good. He also urged all the baptized "to exercise their right to vote and to learn about the different proposals and Government programs of the candidates", as stated in the note sent to Fides by the Colombian Episcopal Conference.
The Bishop urged to "conscientiously choose the most suitable candidates to carry out such public office", and, recalling the role of the Catholic Church in relation to politics, stressed: "For our pastoral and evangelical identity, the Diocese of Cúcuta does not have, nor does it endorse any candidate or political party". Finally, with the words of Pope Francis, he concluded: I beg the Lord to grant us more politicians able to enter into authentic dialogue that is oriented to effectively heal the deep roots and not the appearance of the evils of our world!" (Gaudium Evangelii 205).
The presidential elections in Colombia will be held on May 25, 2014, after the elections for the Senate and the House of Representatives. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014)
- 2015-01-29 - Nearly 50 000 children victims of homicide because of armed conflict
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza
- 2014-12-22 - Even from pain comes the hope of peace, the process continues
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices
- 2014-11-29 - Observatory for Reconciliation and Peace is created
- 2014-11-27 - Hunger and chronic malnutrition cause the death of a child every 33 hours