AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Democracy and respect for the human person: the Church encourages us to prepare for the vote
Cúcuta (Agenzia Fides) - In a statement entitled "Pastoral Guidelines in the context of the Congress and the Andean Parliament elections in 2014", the Bishop of Cúcuta, His Exc. Mgr. Julio Cesar Vidal Ortiz, said that the exercise of democracy in the upcoming election is based on equality, respect for the human person and the common good. He also urged all the baptized "to exercise their right to vote and to learn about the different proposals and Government programs of the candidates", as stated in the note sent to Fides by the Colombian Episcopal Conference.
The Bishop urged to "conscientiously choose the most suitable candidates to carry out such public office", and, recalling the role of the Catholic Church in relation to politics, stressed: "For our pastoral and evangelical identity, the Diocese of Cúcuta does not have, nor does it endorse any candidate or political party". Finally, with the words of Pope Francis, he concluded: I beg the Lord to grant us more politicians able to enter into authentic dialogue that is oriented to effectively heal the deep roots and not the appearance of the evils of our world!" (Gaudium Evangelii 205).
The presidential elections in Colombia will be held on May 25, 2014, after the elections for the Senate and the House of Representatives. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014)
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"