AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Democracy and respect for the human person: the Church encourages us to prepare for the vote
Cúcuta (Agenzia Fides) - In a statement entitled "Pastoral Guidelines in the context of the Congress and the Andean Parliament elections in 2014", the Bishop of Cúcuta, His Exc. Mgr. Julio Cesar Vidal Ortiz, said that the exercise of democracy in the upcoming election is based on equality, respect for the human person and the common good. He also urged all the baptized "to exercise their right to vote and to learn about the different proposals and Government programs of the candidates", as stated in the note sent to Fides by the Colombian Episcopal Conference.
The Bishop urged to "conscientiously choose the most suitable candidates to carry out such public office", and, recalling the role of the Catholic Church in relation to politics, stressed: "For our pastoral and evangelical identity, the Diocese of Cúcuta does not have, nor does it endorse any candidate or political party". Finally, with the words of Pope Francis, he concluded: I beg the Lord to grant us more politicians able to enter into authentic dialogue that is oriented to effectively heal the deep roots and not the appearance of the evils of our world!" (Gaudium Evangelii 205).
The presidential elections in Colombia will be held on May 25, 2014, after the elections for the Senate and the House of Representatives. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014)
- 2014-04-12 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA –"Schools of reconciliation" are born: initiative of the Church for young people
- 2014-04-09 - Respect for human rights for the victims of landmines
- 2014-04-03 - Indigenous children continue to die of hunger and chronic malnutrition
- 2014-03-31 - First study on hidden child victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-03-31 - Peace talks: conclusion of the 22nd session
- 2014-02-27 - We Colombians cannot be indifferent to the suffering experienced by our brothers and sisters in Venezuela
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Dialogue between two parties on equal terms, not between weak and powerful
- 2014-02-24 - Colombians deported from Venezuela: Catholic Bishops in border area dioceses work to provide assistance and promote peace
- 2014-02-21 - The army must be armored against corruption
- 2014-02-20 - The children of the Aboriginal community Wayuu continue to die of hunger