AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Democracy and respect for the human person: the Church encourages us to prepare for the vote
Cúcuta (Agenzia Fides) - In a statement entitled "Pastoral Guidelines in the context of the Congress and the Andean Parliament elections in 2014", the Bishop of Cúcuta, His Exc. Mgr. Julio Cesar Vidal Ortiz, said that the exercise of democracy in the upcoming election is based on equality, respect for the human person and the common good. He also urged all the baptized "to exercise their right to vote and to learn about the different proposals and Government programs of the candidates", as stated in the note sent to Fides by the Colombian Episcopal Conference.
The Bishop urged to "conscientiously choose the most suitable candidates to carry out such public office", and, recalling the role of the Catholic Church in relation to politics, stressed: "For our pastoral and evangelical identity, the Diocese of Cúcuta does not have, nor does it endorse any candidate or political party". Finally, with the words of Pope Francis, he concluded: I beg the Lord to grant us more politicians able to enter into authentic dialogue that is oriented to effectively heal the deep roots and not the appearance of the evils of our world!" (Gaudium Evangelii 205).
The presidential elections in Colombia will be held on May 25, 2014, after the elections for the Senate and the House of Representatives. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014)
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"