ASIA/IRAQ - President of the Iraqi Parliament Najafi delivers Obama a letter on the plight of Iraqi Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Iraqi Parliament Osama Najafi, during his meeting on Wednesday, January 22 in Washington with Barack Obama, delivered two letters to the U.S. President, one of which is dedicated specifically to the problematic conditions experienced in this historic moment by Christian communities in Iraq. The statement was issued by Najafi’s office, sent to Fides Agency. In the second letter – the statement affirmed - "the main obstacles to the advancement of the political process in Iraq" and proposals which could cause actual roots of the democratic system in the country were outlined. The U.S. President - the statement said - confirmed the availability of the United States to cooperate with Iraq, by providing aid. During the same meeting the question of the possible recruitment of Sunni tribal militias in the Iraqi army was faced.
Sunni politician Osama Najafi, was born in Mosul, in 2008 he had intervened on the violence perpetrated against Christians in his hometown assigning the array to the Kurdish armed groups, determined to cause the flight of Christians to change to their advantage the demographic balance of the area. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014)
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"
- 2014-07-23 - The jihadists of the "Caliphate" attack Tilkif, rejected by Kurdish Peshmerga
- 2014-07-22 - Last exodus from Mosul: nearly three thousand Christians
- 2014-07-21 - ASIA/IRAQ – The Syrian Monastery of Mar Behnam in the hands of the militia of the "Islamic Caliphate"
- 2014-07-18 - The last Christian families leave Mosul
- 2014-07-16 - In Mosul, the Islamic Caliphate orders: no aid to Christians and Shiites, while their homes are being expropriated