ASIA/IRAQ - President of the Iraqi Parliament Najafi delivers Obama a letter on the plight of Iraqi Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Iraqi Parliament Osama Najafi, during his meeting on Wednesday, January 22 in Washington with Barack Obama, delivered two letters to the U.S. President, one of which is dedicated specifically to the problematic conditions experienced in this historic moment by Christian communities in Iraq. The statement was issued by Najafi’s office, sent to Fides Agency. In the second letter – the statement affirmed - "the main obstacles to the advancement of the political process in Iraq" and proposals which could cause actual roots of the democratic system in the country were outlined. The U.S. President - the statement said - confirmed the availability of the United States to cooperate with Iraq, by providing aid. During the same meeting the question of the possible recruitment of Sunni tribal militias in the Iraqi army was faced.
Sunni politician Osama Najafi, was born in Mosul, in 2008 he had intervened on the violence perpetrated against Christians in his hometown assigning the array to the Kurdish armed groups, determined to cause the flight of Christians to change to their advantage the demographic balance of the area. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014)
- 2015-10-10 - Christians in Erbil protest against corruption, "our neighborhoods are being filled with infamous clubs"
- 2015-10-09 - Two Iraqi sisters go and live among the Christian refugees camped in Erbil
- 2015-10-06 - Iraqi Ministry of Justice: Christian property will be protected
- 2015-10-01 - The Synod of the Chaldean Church convened in Rome at the end of October
- 2015-09-28 - The New Assyrian Patriarch during the inauguration ceremony: religious language must be put at the service of peace
- 2015-09-21 - New Assyrian Patriarch elected. And the patriarchal seat could return to Iraq
- 2015-09-14 - Nineveh Plain, Christians in Alqosh in procession for the feast of the Holy Cross
- 2015-09-10 - Inauguaration of the Diocesan Museum in Bassora
- 2015-08-31 - Chaldean Patriarchate delivers a dossier on the abuses suffered by Christians in Baghdad to the authorities
- 2015-08-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to Iraqi political leaders: integrate the voluntary militias in the army