ASIA/IRAQ - President of the Iraqi Parliament Najafi delivers Obama a letter on the plight of Iraqi Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Iraqi Parliament Osama Najafi, during his meeting on Wednesday, January 22 in Washington with Barack Obama, delivered two letters to the U.S. President, one of which is dedicated specifically to the problematic conditions experienced in this historic moment by Christian communities in Iraq. The statement was issued by Najafi’s office, sent to Fides Agency. In the second letter – the statement affirmed - "the main obstacles to the advancement of the political process in Iraq" and proposals which could cause actual roots of the democratic system in the country were outlined. The U.S. President - the statement said - confirmed the availability of the United States to cooperate with Iraq, by providing aid. During the same meeting the question of the possible recruitment of Sunni tribal militias in the Iraqi army was faced.
Sunni politician Osama Najafi, was born in Mosul, in 2008 he had intervened on the violence perpetrated against Christians in his hometown assigning the array to the Kurdish armed groups, determined to cause the flight of Christians to change to their advantage the demographic balance of the area. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014)
- 2014-03-10 ASIA/IRAQ - The Chaldean Church in aid of displaced people of Fallujah and Ramadi
- 2014-03-03 ASIA/IRAQ - Political leader denounces: the lands of Christians who emigrated plundered with the complicity of corrupt officials
- 2014-02-26 ASIA/IRAQ – Iraq’s Catholic Bishops insist: we must react to the violence destroying our nation
- 2014-02-24 ASIA/IRAQ - Patriarch Sako: A Lenten Season of fasting and prayer that Christians in Iraq will not emigrate
- 2014-02-21 ASIA/IRAQ – Decision to include Syriac and Christian religious education in 152 schools
- 2014-02-14 ASIA/IRAQ - Patriarch Sako: we need a "Chaldean League"
- 2014-02-14 ASIA/IRAQ - Campaign against the gifts between people in love on Valentine's Day. The Islamists: "it is a Christian feast"
- 2014-02-07 ASIA/IRAQ - Christian candidates in random order in the next national elections
- 2014-01-31 ASIA/IRAQ - The Leaders of Christian Churches: every adult citizen has to be free to choose his own religion
- 2014-01-30 ASIA/IRAQ – A Christian killed for his refusal to build silencers for firearms