ASIA/IRAQ - President of the Iraqi Parliament Najafi delivers Obama a letter on the plight of Iraqi Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Iraqi Parliament Osama Najafi, during his meeting on Wednesday, January 22 in Washington with Barack Obama, delivered two letters to the U.S. President, one of which is dedicated specifically to the problematic conditions experienced in this historic moment by Christian communities in Iraq. The statement was issued by Najafi’s office, sent to Fides Agency. In the second letter – the statement affirmed - "the main obstacles to the advancement of the political process in Iraq" and proposals which could cause actual roots of the democratic system in the country were outlined. The U.S. President - the statement said - confirmed the availability of the United States to cooperate with Iraq, by providing aid. During the same meeting the question of the possible recruitment of Sunni tribal militias in the Iraqi army was faced.
Sunni politician Osama Najafi, was born in Mosul, in 2008 he had intervened on the violence perpetrated against Christians in his hometown assigning the array to the Kurdish armed groups, determined to cause the flight of Christians to change to their advantage the demographic balance of the area. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014)
- 2015-07-23 - Also in Kirkuk expropriation of Christian homes
- 2015-07-22 - The government orders the transfer of the military of the Nineveh Plain to Baghdad; Christian politicians protest
- 2015-07-14 - The Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Mosul transformed into a mosque
- 2015-07-10 - In Baghdad, Christians kidnapped and killed despite the payment of ransom
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"