ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai: Tripoli will not give in to the spiral of sectarian violence
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - The city of Tripoli should not become "a victim of political conflicts", and its inhabitants do not have to follow "the path of violence, which has never led to positive results". This is what the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites Boutros Bechara Rai said about the sectarian violence that is devastating the coastal city of northern Lebanon, to a delegation of residents from Tripoli who were received in audience by the Head of the Maronite Church on Thursday morning, January 23.
The new series of bloody clashes between Alawites and Sunnis in Lebanon's second largest city started on Friday, January 17, and has already caused at least 7 deaths and 60 wounded. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 23/01/2014)
- 2015-01-28 - The Patriarchs of Antioch: in order to stop the conflict, arms trafficking must be stopped
- 2015-01-19 - Patriarch Rai: also poverty destabilizes the Middle East
- 2015-01-15 - Maronite League: a UN resolution against the attacks on religions is needed
- 2015-01-14 - Frost and snow: first victims due to frostbite among the Syrian refugees
- 2015-01-08 - Maronite Bishops to MPs: elect the new President as soon as possible
- 2014-12-30 - Hypothesis of a meeting Aoun-Geagea to overcome divisions among political Christian forces
- 2014-12-19 - Appeal of the Chaldean Bishop of Beirut for displaced Iraqi Christians
- 2014-12-11 - The Syro-Catholic Bishops: let us apply the principles of the "Declaration of al-Azhar"
- 2014-12-10 - Patriarch Ignace Yussif III at the Synod of the Syro- Catholic Church: let us help to grasp the "signs of the times"
- 2014-12-04 - Maronite Bishops: they are turning the country into an oligarchy, at the expense of the Constitution, the people and the institutions