ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai: Tripoli will not give in to the spiral of sectarian violence
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - The city of Tripoli should not become "a victim of political conflicts", and its inhabitants do not have to follow "the path of violence, which has never led to positive results". This is what the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites Boutros Bechara Rai said about the sectarian violence that is devastating the coastal city of northern Lebanon, to a delegation of residents from Tripoli who were received in audience by the Head of the Maronite Church on Thursday morning, January 23.
The new series of bloody clashes between Alawites and Sunnis in Lebanon's second largest city started on Friday, January 17, and has already caused at least 7 deaths and 60 wounded. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 23/01/2014)
- 2015-11-13 - The President of Caritas Lebanon after the bombing in Beirut: our country is at risk
- 2015-11-06 - The Maronite Bishops: no to the division of Syria
- 2015-10-27 - Metropolitan Georges Khodr: who said Lebanon’s president must be Maronite?
- 2015-10-22 - ASIA/LEBANON – Leading members of Maronite Foundation stress necessity of recovery of nationality law for expatriate Lebanese
- 2015-10-21 - The Maronite diocese of Zahlé supports the breast cancer awareness campaign
- 2015-09-10 - Lebanese crisis, a delegation of Hezbollah meets with Maronite Patriarch
- 2015-09-01 - The Heads of Churches: the protests risk being "infiltrated"
- 2015-08-31 - Islamic-Christian summit postponed, while protests against politicians continue
- 2015-08-29 - A Muslim-Christian summit on the agenda to overcome the institutional crisis
- 2015-08-25 - Syriac Catholic Bishop Flavianus Michael Melki, martyr of the "Assyrian Genocide" will be beatified next Saturday