ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai: Tripoli will not give in to the spiral of sectarian violence
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - The city of Tripoli should not become "a victim of political conflicts", and its inhabitants do not have to follow "the path of violence, which has never led to positive results". This is what the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites Boutros Bechara Rai said about the sectarian violence that is devastating the coastal city of northern Lebanon, to a delegation of residents from Tripoli who were received in audience by the Head of the Maronite Church on Thursday morning, January 23.
The new series of bloody clashes between Alawites and Sunnis in Lebanon's second largest city started on Friday, January 17, and has already caused at least 7 deaths and 60 wounded. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 23/01/2014)
- 2015-09-10 - Lebanese crisis, a delegation of Hezbollah meets with Maronite Patriarch
- 2015-09-01 - The Heads of Churches: the protests risk being "infiltrated"
- 2015-08-31 - Islamic-Christian summit postponed, while protests against politicians continue
- 2015-08-29 - A Muslim-Christian summit on the agenda to overcome the institutional crisis
- 2015-08-25 - Syriac Catholic Bishop Flavianus Michael Melki, martyr of the "Assyrian Genocide" will be beatified next Saturday
- 2015-07-09 - The Maronite Patriarch: the deadlock on the election of the President is caused by outside interference
- 2015-07-06 - The Maronite Patriarch: the storm will pass, and Christians will remain in the Middle East
- 2015-06-25 - Armenian Catholic Patriarch Nerses Bedros XIX dies in Lebanon
- 2015-06-17 - Prayers to the Virgin of Fatima to invoke the election of a new President
- 2015-06-16 - Maronite and Greek-Melkite Synods have begun. Patriarch Grégoire: 60% of the Lebanese think of emigrating