ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai: Tripoli will not give in to the spiral of sectarian violence
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - The city of Tripoli should not become "a victim of political conflicts", and its inhabitants do not have to follow "the path of violence, which has never led to positive results". This is what the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites Boutros Bechara Rai said about the sectarian violence that is devastating the coastal city of northern Lebanon, to a delegation of residents from Tripoli who were received in audience by the Head of the Maronite Church on Thursday morning, January 23.
The new series of bloody clashes between Alawites and Sunnis in Lebanon's second largest city started on Friday, January 17, and has already caused at least 7 deaths and 60 wounded. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 23/01/2014)
- 2014-04-11 - Neither Geagea, nor Aoun. For Patriarch Rai the new President must be a "figure of consensus"
- 2014-04-10 - The president of Caritas Lebanon: the international community has to open refugee camps in Syria
- 2014-03-26 - Patriarch Rai intervenes on the election of the new President
- 2014-03-18 - Patriarch Rai at the Mass for Caritas: the war of attrition in the Country must stop
- 2014-03-11 - Maronite Church: to encourage organ donation
- 2014-02-15 - The reduction of lands belonging to Christians continues
- 2014-02-10 - Feast of St. Maron, the Lebanese reflect on the "Bkerké Charter"
- 2014-02-05 - The victims of the Armenian Genocide will be canonized
- 2014-02-01 - Maronite priest Paul Karam new President of Caritas Lebanon
- 2014-01-23 - Patriarch Rai: Tripoli will not give in to the spiral of sectarian violence