ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai: Tripoli will not give in to the spiral of sectarian violence
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - The city of Tripoli should not become "a victim of political conflicts", and its inhabitants do not have to follow "the path of violence, which has never led to positive results". This is what the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites Boutros Bechara Rai said about the sectarian violence that is devastating the coastal city of northern Lebanon, to a delegation of residents from Tripoli who were received in audience by the Head of the Maronite Church on Thursday morning, January 23.
The new series of bloody clashes between Alawites and Sunnis in Lebanon's second largest city started on Friday, January 17, and has already caused at least 7 deaths and 60 wounded. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 23/01/2014)
- 2014-07-28 - Patriarch Rai: The new President should not be linked to the two "blocks"
- 2014-07-10 - Patriarch Rai to Lebanese missionaries: the Arab world needs the Gospel
- 2014-07-07 - Patriarch Rai: the existence of Lebanon at risk
- 2014-06-20 - The Maronite Bishops: who boycots Parliament sessions to elect a new president places the Country at risk
- 2014-06-12 - The annual Synod of the Maronite Church has begun. Patriarch Rai: let us pray so that a new President is elected
- 2014-06-03 - Orthodox Patriarch Yohanna X announces the Conference of the Church of Antioch
- 2014-05-14 - Grand Mufti Qabbani proposes a new "pact" between Muslims and Christians in the Middle East
- 2014-05-12 - Patriarch Rai on the presidential elections: a power vacuum would erase the role of Christians
- 2014-04-11 - Neither Geagea, nor Aoun. For Patriarch Rai the new President must be a "figure of consensus"
- 2014-04-10 - The president of Caritas Lebanon: the international community has to open refugee camps in Syria