AMERICA/MEXICO - The important role of the media in promoting peace in the Tierra Caliente
Apatzingán (Agenzia Fides) - Because of the difficult situation that the region of Tierra Caliente is experiencing, the Bishop of the Diocese of Apatzingán, His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Velazquez Patiño, speaking to reporters, stressed that it is naive to think that the problem of violence will be resolved soon, although there is still hope in all sectors of society. In the note sent to Fides by a local source, the Bishop wanted to refer to the document of the Episcopal Conference and to the situation in the area, which is very complex even for the Catholic Church, called to bring the message of peace among its faithful, who find themselves divided in two territories: one under the control of the army or of self-defense groups ("Communitario") and the other in the hands of criminal gangs ("Templari").
"Our parishes and our people - said the Bishop - are in the two areas, some in the Communitario territory and others in the Templari territory, therefore, it is not easy to find a conciliation, which should be done in a way for some, and in another way for others".
Precisely for this reason, he insisted, all sectors need to promote peace, and in this task the media have an important role, because they have to promote this effort without putting in opposition institutions or groups, because, concluded Mgr. Velazquez Patiño "it is very dangerous at the moment". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/01/2014)
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?
- 2015-05-11 - Mgr. Armendáriz to candidates: "We want proposals rather than promises"
- 2015-05-06 - The monumental image of the "Cristo de las Noas" will be donated to the diocese of Torreon
- 2015-04-30 - Toys, sweets, clothes, shoes: collection in favor of the more vulnerable indigenous children
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States