AMERICA/MEXICO - The important role of the media in promoting peace in the Tierra Caliente
Apatzingán (Agenzia Fides) - Because of the difficult situation that the region of Tierra Caliente is experiencing, the Bishop of the Diocese of Apatzingán, His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Velazquez Patiño, speaking to reporters, stressed that it is naive to think that the problem of violence will be resolved soon, although there is still hope in all sectors of society. In the note sent to Fides by a local source, the Bishop wanted to refer to the document of the Episcopal Conference and to the situation in the area, which is very complex even for the Catholic Church, called to bring the message of peace among its faithful, who find themselves divided in two territories: one under the control of the army or of self-defense groups ("Communitario") and the other in the hands of criminal gangs ("Templari").
"Our parishes and our people - said the Bishop - are in the two areas, some in the Communitario territory and others in the Templari territory, therefore, it is not easy to find a conciliation, which should be done in a way for some, and in another way for others".
Precisely for this reason, he insisted, all sectors need to promote peace, and in this task the media have an important role, because they have to promote this effort without putting in opposition institutions or groups, because, concluded Mgr. Velazquez Patiño "it is very dangerous at the moment". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/01/2014)
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend
- 2015-06-13 - A card to distinguish true priests from false priests
- 2015-06-11 - The Bishops invite the winners of the elections to fulfil the promises made
- 2015-05-28 - The churches of Piedras Negras become centers of aid to people affected by the tornado
- 2015-05-27 - Tornado among the strongest recorded in the country affects Ciudad Acuña: 14 deaths and massive damage
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination