AMERICA/MEXICO - The important role of the media in promoting peace in the Tierra Caliente
Apatzingán (Agenzia Fides) - Because of the difficult situation that the region of Tierra Caliente is experiencing, the Bishop of the Diocese of Apatzingán, His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Velazquez Patiño, speaking to reporters, stressed that it is naive to think that the problem of violence will be resolved soon, although there is still hope in all sectors of society. In the note sent to Fides by a local source, the Bishop wanted to refer to the document of the Episcopal Conference and to the situation in the area, which is very complex even for the Catholic Church, called to bring the message of peace among its faithful, who find themselves divided in two territories: one under the control of the army or of self-defense groups ("Communitario") and the other in the hands of criminal gangs ("Templari").
"Our parishes and our people - said the Bishop - are in the two areas, some in the Communitario territory and others in the Templari territory, therefore, it is not easy to find a conciliation, which should be done in a way for some, and in another way for others".
Precisely for this reason, he insisted, all sectors need to promote peace, and in this task the media have an important role, because they have to promote this effort without putting in opposition institutions or groups, because, concluded Mgr. Velazquez Patiño "it is very dangerous at the moment". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/01/2014)
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children
- 2015-01-26 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The Bishops of Central America discuss the issue regarding assistance to migrants
- 2015-01-19 - Bishop of Zacatecas: The closure of mines is everyone’s problem