AMERICA/MEXICO - The important role of the media in promoting peace in the Tierra Caliente
Apatzingán (Agenzia Fides) - Because of the difficult situation that the region of Tierra Caliente is experiencing, the Bishop of the Diocese of Apatzingán, His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Velazquez Patiño, speaking to reporters, stressed that it is naive to think that the problem of violence will be resolved soon, although there is still hope in all sectors of society. In the note sent to Fides by a local source, the Bishop wanted to refer to the document of the Episcopal Conference and to the situation in the area, which is very complex even for the Catholic Church, called to bring the message of peace among its faithful, who find themselves divided in two territories: one under the control of the army or of self-defense groups ("Communitario") and the other in the hands of criminal gangs ("Templari").
"Our parishes and our people - said the Bishop - are in the two areas, some in the Communitario territory and others in the Templari territory, therefore, it is not easy to find a conciliation, which should be done in a way for some, and in another way for others".
Precisely for this reason, he insisted, all sectors need to promote peace, and in this task the media have an important role, because they have to promote this effort without putting in opposition institutions or groups, because, concluded Mgr. Velazquez Patiño "it is very dangerous at the moment". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/01/2014)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement