AFRICA/EGYPT - The Bishops express their appreciation for the new Constitution
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The new Egyptian Constitution, which was approved with a majority of 98 % of the vote in the referendum held on 14 and 15 January, was greeted with satisfaction by the Coptic Catholic Bishops .
According to a report by Aid to the Church in Need sent to Fides Agency, based on interviews with Bishops Kyrillos William Samaan, Coptic Catholic Bishop of Assiut, Antonios Aziz Mina, Bishop of Guizeh ( Giza ) and Joannes Zakaria, Bishop of Luxor, the Bishops expressed their appreciation for the fact that the new Constitution guarantees the fundamental rights of all Egyptians, regardless of race, religion, gender and age.
In particular, it emphasizes that the Constitution, unlike that of 2012, provides rights for women, children and the disabled. The Bishops also confirmed that the rights of Christians were well represented in the new Constitution.
Bishops Samaan and Zakaria underline that the Constitution requires Parliament to rapidly draft a new law that regulates the building of new churches, which until now has been very slow,.
The Preamble of the Constitution states that the Egyptian people "greets the Virgin Mary and her Infant protecting them during their pilgrimage in Egypt, expressing respect and appreciation for the Christian religion".
Article 50 recognizes the Egyptian civilization in its various components, making reference to Ancient Egyptians, Coptic and Islamic, as a "national and human wealth that the State is committed to preserve and maintain". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2015-04-16 - The Coptic Patriarch will participate in the commemorations of the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, to be held in Yerevan
- 2015-04-01 - Laying of the foundation stone of the church dedicated to the "Martyrs of Libya"
- 2015-03-31 - The Coptic Orthodox Church invites President al-Sisi to Easter Mass
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope
- 2015-03-23 - The conviction for the Salafist leader who tore up a copy of the Bible confirmed
- 2015-03-20 - Hospitals in Al Azhar open their doors to Christian doctors
- 2015-03-17 - The Egyptian government reviews Islamic religious education programs to combat extremism
- 2015-03-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Armed assault against the Franciscan church of Kafr el Dawar