AFRICA/EGYPT - The Bishops express their appreciation for the new Constitution
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The new Egyptian Constitution, which was approved with a majority of 98 % of the vote in the referendum held on 14 and 15 January, was greeted with satisfaction by the Coptic Catholic Bishops .
According to a report by Aid to the Church in Need sent to Fides Agency, based on interviews with Bishops Kyrillos William Samaan, Coptic Catholic Bishop of Assiut, Antonios Aziz Mina, Bishop of Guizeh ( Giza ) and Joannes Zakaria, Bishop of Luxor, the Bishops expressed their appreciation for the fact that the new Constitution guarantees the fundamental rights of all Egyptians, regardless of race, religion, gender and age.
In particular, it emphasizes that the Constitution, unlike that of 2012, provides rights for women, children and the disabled. The Bishops also confirmed that the rights of Christians were well represented in the new Constitution.
Bishops Samaan and Zakaria underline that the Constitution requires Parliament to rapidly draft a new law that regulates the building of new churches, which until now has been very slow,.
The Preamble of the Constitution states that the Egyptian people "greets the Virgin Mary and her Infant protecting them during their pilgrimage in Egypt, expressing respect and appreciation for the Christian religion".
Article 50 recognizes the Egyptian civilization in its various components, making reference to Ancient Egyptians, Coptic and Islamic, as a "national and human wealth that the State is committed to preserve and maintain". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2014-07-17 - A bill to ensure and regulate the construction of churches is being studied
- 2014-07-16 - Patriarch Tawadros II: the Bishops do not express support for candidates or political parties in elections
- 2014-07-08 - Sisi
- 2014-06-20 - Activist for Human Rights calls for the dissolution of the Salafist Party
- 2014-06-09 - New President al-Sisi enhances the role of the Coptic Church in the past and present of the nation
- 2014-05-30 - Sisi triumphs in presidential elections; Copt Catholic Bishop of Guizeh contests voices on low turnout
- 2014-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros : let us all go and vote to elect the new President
- 2014-05-16 - Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate: priests must not make electoral propaganda
- 2014-05-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II writes to Pope Francis: let us unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the presidential elections, the Church does not take sides with any candidate