AFRICA/EGYPT - The Bishops express their appreciation for the new Constitution
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The new Egyptian Constitution, which was approved with a majority of 98 % of the vote in the referendum held on 14 and 15 January, was greeted with satisfaction by the Coptic Catholic Bishops .
According to a report by Aid to the Church in Need sent to Fides Agency, based on interviews with Bishops Kyrillos William Samaan, Coptic Catholic Bishop of Assiut, Antonios Aziz Mina, Bishop of Guizeh ( Giza ) and Joannes Zakaria, Bishop of Luxor, the Bishops expressed their appreciation for the fact that the new Constitution guarantees the fundamental rights of all Egyptians, regardless of race, religion, gender and age.
In particular, it emphasizes that the Constitution, unlike that of 2012, provides rights for women, children and the disabled. The Bishops also confirmed that the rights of Christians were well represented in the new Constitution.
Bishops Samaan and Zakaria underline that the Constitution requires Parliament to rapidly draft a new law that regulates the building of new churches, which until now has been very slow,.
The Preamble of the Constitution states that the Egyptian people "greets the Virgin Mary and her Infant protecting them during their pilgrimage in Egypt, expressing respect and appreciation for the Christian religion".
Article 50 recognizes the Egyptian civilization in its various components, making reference to Ancient Egyptians, Coptic and Islamic, as a "national and human wealth that the State is committed to preserve and maintain". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2015-09-02 - New investigations into the case of Mariam, the Coptic student discriminated
- 2015-08-28 - The Coptic Church: the life of the Country depends on the "good health" of the Nile
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General