ASIA/SYRIA - The Kurds claim an autonomous government in north-east Syria. Three Christians among the 20 ministers
Qamishli (Agenzia Fides) - On the eve of the International Conference on Syria convened in Geneva, the Syrian Kurds have taken a step forward towards the creation of an autonomous political entity in the north-east of the Country, announcing the formation of an autonomous government made up of 20 ministers. According to local sources consulted by Fides Agency, even three Syrian Christian ministers will be part of the new government. The government, presided by Akram Hissou, will operate from the city of Qamishli and exercise its authority in an area that includes the city of Hassaké.
The new political body includes the ministries of foreign affairs, justice, defense and education, and has announced plans to hold elections within four months. It appears to be dominated by the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD).
In past days the request of Kurds close to the PYD to participate with its delegation at the Geneva 2 Conference to be able to express their expectations on the future of Syria had been refused. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers
- 2014-10-08 - The Franciscan priest kidnapped after he had appealed to the Islamic Court
- 2014-10-07 - Custody of the Holy Land: Fr. Jallouf and other Christians kidnapped by the jihadists linked to al-Nusra
- 2014-10-07 - Bishop Khazen confirms: a priest and twenty Christians of the village of Knayeh have been kidnapped
- 2014-10-02 - Massacre of children in Homs; three Christians kidnapped in the province of Hassaké
- 2014-09-24 - Armenian Archbishop of Aleppo: for the people, the perpetrators of the raids are certainly not "liberators"
- 2014-09-22 - The jihadists of the Islamic State destroy the memorial church of the Armenian Genocide in Deir el-Zor