ASIA/SYRIA - The Kurds claim an autonomous government in north-east Syria. Three Christians among the 20 ministers
Qamishli (Agenzia Fides) - On the eve of the International Conference on Syria convened in Geneva, the Syrian Kurds have taken a step forward towards the creation of an autonomous political entity in the north-east of the Country, announcing the formation of an autonomous government made up of 20 ministers. According to local sources consulted by Fides Agency, even three Syrian Christian ministers will be part of the new government. The government, presided by Akram Hissou, will operate from the city of Qamishli and exercise its authority in an area that includes the city of Hassaké.
The new political body includes the ministries of foreign affairs, justice, defense and education, and has announced plans to hold elections within four months. It appears to be dominated by the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD).
In past days the request of Kurds close to the PYD to participate with its delegation at the Geneva 2 Conference to be able to express their expectations on the future of Syria had been refused. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2014-03-06 ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Hindo: Christians do not support the Kurdish autonomous entity
- 2014-03-04 ASIA/SYRIA - The Armenian Catholic Archbishop of Aleppo: During Lent prayers and fasting to ask for the gift of peace
- 2014-02-28 ASIA/SYRIA – Where to be a child is impossible
- 2014-02-28 ASIA/SYRIA - Attack on Assyrian Democratic Organization head offices
- 2014-02-18 ASIA/SYRIA - Muslim leader of the opposition: immediately release all the Christians kidnapped
- 2014-02-13 ASIA/SYRIA - Masses for the release of all the hostages
- 2014-01-28 ASIA/SYRIA - Masses and vigils for father Dall'Oglio six months after his abduction
- 2014-01-27 ASIA/SYRIA - Patriarchs Kirill and Yohanna X’s appeal at Geneva 2: only dialogue among Syrians can open glimmers of peace
- 2014-01-22 ASIA/SYRIA - The Kurds claim an autonomous government in north-east Syria. Three Christians among the 20 ministers
- 2014-01-22 ASIA/SYRIA - Geneva 2: The Jesuit Refugee Service calls for a negotiated settlement and more support to refugees