ASIA/SYRIA - The Kurds claim an autonomous government in north-east Syria. Three Christians among the 20 ministers
Qamishli (Agenzia Fides) - On the eve of the International Conference on Syria convened in Geneva, the Syrian Kurds have taken a step forward towards the creation of an autonomous political entity in the north-east of the Country, announcing the formation of an autonomous government made up of 20 ministers. According to local sources consulted by Fides Agency, even three Syrian Christian ministers will be part of the new government. The government, presided by Akram Hissou, will operate from the city of Qamishli and exercise its authority in an area that includes the city of Hassaké.
The new political body includes the ministries of foreign affairs, justice, defense and education, and has announced plans to hold elections within four months. It appears to be dominated by the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD).
In past days the request of Kurds close to the PYD to participate with its delegation at the Geneva 2 Conference to be able to express their expectations on the future of Syria had been refused. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus