ASIA/SYRIA - The Kurds claim an autonomous government in north-east Syria. Three Christians among the 20 ministers
Qamishli (Agenzia Fides) - On the eve of the International Conference on Syria convened in Geneva, the Syrian Kurds have taken a step forward towards the creation of an autonomous political entity in the north-east of the Country, announcing the formation of an autonomous government made up of 20 ministers. According to local sources consulted by Fides Agency, even three Syrian Christian ministers will be part of the new government. The government, presided by Akram Hissou, will operate from the city of Qamishli and exercise its authority in an area that includes the city of Hassaké.
The new political body includes the ministries of foreign affairs, justice, defense and education, and has announced plans to hold elections within four months. It appears to be dominated by the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD).
In past days the request of Kurds close to the PYD to participate with its delegation at the Geneva 2 Conference to be able to express their expectations on the future of Syria had been refused. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2014-09-05 - Armenian Catholic Synod: in agenda Genocide centenary, martyrs’ beatification, situation of Middle East Christians
- 2014-09-03 - Christians in Qamishli collect aid for Yazidis fleeing Iraq
- 2014-08-21 - Mission of the Patriarchs in Iraq. The Chaldean Patriarch: no to sectarian militias
- 2014-07-31 - Aleppo, missile at the Armenian Catholic Church. Three dead
- 2014-07-30 - Pax Christi International: the arms trade fuels the Syrian conflict
- 2014-07-24 - Thousands of children excluded from the vaccination campaign against polio which has resurfaced in the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The government army towards Aleppo. Bishop Audo: we are on edge between hopes and fears, we also lack drinking water
- 2014-06-17 - Aleppo still without water, churches reactivate the wells
- 2014-06-05 - Aleppo again without water, other missiles on the areas inhabited by the Armenians
- 2014-06-02 - ASIA/SYRIA – The jiahdists of ISIL in Raqqa confiscate the property of Christians