AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A human life is worth more than anything else
Chichigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua, His Exc. Mgr. Silvio Baez, expressed severe criticism regarding the intervention of the police in Chichigalpa last weekend, during which one man was killed and a young boy was wounded. "It is so sad! What happened in Chichigalpa is terrible! A human life is worth more than anything else in the world!" wrote Mgr. Baez on his Twitter account.
A-47-year old man died and a-14-year boy was wounded on Saturday, January 18. Authorities said the officers involved in the shooting have been detained and are under investigation. Officials said police fired their weapons after being attacked by protesters armed with stones and homemade mortars.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, a group of sugar cane workers of San Antonio farm, owned by the Pellas group (one of the strongest and most important in the country), blocked access to the entire area on Saturday 18, claiming health care and the respect of other rights. Several institutions, including the Catholic Church, have asked the authorities to open a criminal investigation against the officers alleged to have fired on demonstrators. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished
- 2015-07-14 - Two children and a woman killed by mistake by the police; Mgr. Baez calls for justice
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"
- 2015-06-03 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Drought continues: the population without water and crops
- 2015-05-05 - "Informed citizenry is able to build a just society", says Msg. Baez
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness