AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A human life is worth more than anything else
Chichigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua, His Exc. Mgr. Silvio Baez, expressed severe criticism regarding the intervention of the police in Chichigalpa last weekend, during which one man was killed and a young boy was wounded. "It is so sad! What happened in Chichigalpa is terrible! A human life is worth more than anything else in the world!" wrote Mgr. Baez on his Twitter account.
A-47-year old man died and a-14-year boy was wounded on Saturday, January 18. Authorities said the officers involved in the shooting have been detained and are under investigation. Officials said police fired their weapons after being attacked by protesters armed with stones and homemade mortars.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, a group of sugar cane workers of San Antonio farm, owned by the Pellas group (one of the strongest and most important in the country), blocked access to the entire area on Saturday 18, claiming health care and the respect of other rights. Several institutions, including the Catholic Church, have asked the authorities to open a criminal investigation against the officers alleged to have fired on demonstrators. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2014-07-22 - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
- 2014-06-04 - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
- 2014-05-22 - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
- 2014-05-20 - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
- 2014-05-14 - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
- 2014-04-08 - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
- 2014-03-26 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church
- 2014-03-20 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Dialogue is closer and closer: President Ortega has received the Bishops’ letter
- 2014-03-18 - Cardinal Brenes: "the Church is ready to dialogue with the President"
- 2014-03-12 - Full availability of Bishops to dialogue with the government on issues of national interest