ASIA/SYRIA - Geneva 2: The Jesuit Refugee Service calls for a negotiated settlement and more support to refugees
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - More pressure on the Syrian government and the opposition for an immediate ceasefire and a negotiated solution; allow access and humanitarian organizations to the work on the ground; increase the financial support for refugees: are the recommendations that the "Jesuit Service for Refugees" sends to the international community, on the eve of the Geneva 2 Conference, which starts today, and aims at finding a solution to the Syrian crisis .
The valuable service of the "Jesuit Refugee Service" (JRS) in Syria is mainly focused on two fronts: emergency aid for the most needy and educational activities. These efforts are intended to foster reconciliation and improve coexistence between people from different socio - economic and faith origin.
Currently, the JRS in Syria offers educational and psychosocial support to 9,800 among children and women. In total, about 200,000 people are helped by JRS in Damascus, Homs, Aleppo and coastal areas of Syria.
In a note sent to Fides, the JRS calls on the international community to "give priority to diplomatic efforts and to agree on a ceasefire and a negotiated settlement of the conflict. This process - it claims - must include the meaningful participation of civil society groups in Syria, beyond the social, religious and ethnic differences".
JRS calls "to increase the financial resources allocated to humanitarian initiatives and for host countries to cooperate with the authorities to counter the increasing discrimination and xenophobia". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2015-11-18 - Assad: "Putin is the only defender of Christian civilization"
- 2015-11-17 - Pax Christi: need to put an end to the support to jihadist groups
- 2015-11-11 - Assyrian associations denounce the violence and abuse of Kurdish forces
- 2015-11-07 - The jihadist Islamic State release 37 other Assyrian hostages of the valley of Khabur
- 2015-10-28 - Russian delegation meets representatives of Churches and religious communities
- 2015-10-27 - Father Murad speaks of his captivity
- 2015-10-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – A shell hits Latin Church in Aleppo during the celebration of Mass. Bishop Abou Khazen: it could have been a massacre
- 2015-10-26 - violence and human rights: lessons in peace building in war zones.
- 2015-10-23 - Christians in Hassakè denounce attempts to expropriate properties of emigrants
- 2015-10-20 - Offensive in Aleppo. Archbishop Marayati: we pay the price of the 'Holy Wars' carried out by others