ASIA/SYRIA - Geneva 2: The Jesuit Refugee Service calls for a negotiated settlement and more support to refugees
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - More pressure on the Syrian government and the opposition for an immediate ceasefire and a negotiated solution; allow access and humanitarian organizations to the work on the ground; increase the financial support for refugees: are the recommendations that the "Jesuit Service for Refugees" sends to the international community, on the eve of the Geneva 2 Conference, which starts today, and aims at finding a solution to the Syrian crisis .
The valuable service of the "Jesuit Refugee Service" (JRS) in Syria is mainly focused on two fronts: emergency aid for the most needy and educational activities. These efforts are intended to foster reconciliation and improve coexistence between people from different socio - economic and faith origin.
Currently, the JRS in Syria offers educational and psychosocial support to 9,800 among children and women. In total, about 200,000 people are helped by JRS in Damascus, Homs, Aleppo and coastal areas of Syria.
In a note sent to Fides, the JRS calls on the international community to "give priority to diplomatic efforts and to agree on a ceasefire and a negotiated settlement of the conflict. This process - it claims - must include the meaningful participation of civil society groups in Syria, beyond the social, religious and ethnic differences".
JRS calls "to increase the financial resources allocated to humanitarian initiatives and for host countries to cooperate with the authorities to counter the increasing discrimination and xenophobia". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2014-09-24 - Armenian Archbishop of Aleppo: for the people, the perpetrators of the raids are certainly not "liberators"
- 2014-09-22 - The jihadists of the Islamic State destroy the memorial church of the Armenian Genocide in Deir el-Zor
- 2014-09-18 - Children have died due to contaminated measle vaccine
- 2014-09-05 - Armenian Catholic Synod: in agenda Genocide centenary, martyrs’ beatification, situation of Middle East Christians
- 2014-09-03 - Christians in Qamishli collect aid for Yazidis fleeing Iraq
- 2014-08-21 - Mission of the Patriarchs in Iraq. The Chaldean Patriarch: no to sectarian militias
- 2014-07-31 - Aleppo, missile at the Armenian Catholic Church. Three dead
- 2014-07-30 - Pax Christi International: the arms trade fuels the Syrian conflict
- 2014-07-24 - Thousands of children excluded from the vaccination campaign against polio which has resurfaced in the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The government army towards Aleppo. Bishop Audo: we are on edge between hopes and fears, we also lack drinking water