ASIA/SYRIA - Geneva 2: The Jesuit Refugee Service calls for a negotiated settlement and more support to refugees
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - More pressure on the Syrian government and the opposition for an immediate ceasefire and a negotiated solution; allow access and humanitarian organizations to the work on the ground; increase the financial support for refugees: are the recommendations that the "Jesuit Service for Refugees" sends to the international community, on the eve of the Geneva 2 Conference, which starts today, and aims at finding a solution to the Syrian crisis .
The valuable service of the "Jesuit Refugee Service" (JRS) in Syria is mainly focused on two fronts: emergency aid for the most needy and educational activities. These efforts are intended to foster reconciliation and improve coexistence between people from different socio - economic and faith origin.
Currently, the JRS in Syria offers educational and psychosocial support to 9,800 among children and women. In total, about 200,000 people are helped by JRS in Damascus, Homs, Aleppo and coastal areas of Syria.
In a note sent to Fides, the JRS calls on the international community to "give priority to diplomatic efforts and to agree on a ceasefire and a negotiated settlement of the conflict. This process - it claims - must include the meaningful participation of civil society groups in Syria, beyond the social, religious and ethnic differences".
JRS calls "to increase the financial resources allocated to humanitarian initiatives and for host countries to cooperate with the authorities to counter the increasing discrimination and xenophobia". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2014-07-24 - Thousands of children excluded from the vaccination campaign against polio which has resurfaced in the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The government army towards Aleppo. Bishop Audo: we are on edge between hopes and fears, we also lack drinking water
- 2014-06-17 - Aleppo still without water, churches reactivate the wells
- 2014-06-05 - Aleppo again without water, other missiles on the areas inhabited by the Armenians
- 2014-06-02 - ASIA/SYRIA – The jiahdists of ISIL in Raqqa confiscate the property of Christians
- 2014-05-19 - Armenian Catholic Archbishop Marayati: Christians flee from Aleppo, besieged city
- 2014-05-02 - Even a Christian tries to candidate himself in the presidential election in June
- 2014-04-28 - Armenian Catholic Archbishop Marayati: Aleppo again in the grip of war
- 2014-04-15 - A missile on an Armenian Catholic school: a child killed, 61 injured
- 2014-04-15 - Churches devastated and icons desecrated in Maalula