AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The new President launches an appeal to lay down arms
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation is gradually improving. The election of the new President has brought a bit of hope in the population", say to Fides sources of the local church in Bangui, capital of the Central African Republic, where yesterday, 20 January, the National Transitional Council (CNT, the transitional parliament) elected Mrs. Catherine Samba-Panza, mayor of the city as Head of State.
The new President has launched an appeal to members of the anti-Balaka militia and coalition of former Seleka rebels (both referred to as "my children") so that they "give a strong signal by laying down arms". "As of today I am the President of all Central Africans without exception".
President Samba-Panza added that her priority is to put an end to the suffering of the people and to restore security and State authority throughout the country".
Fides sources point out that in Bangui, "the majority of the displaced remain in makeshift shelters at the airport and in the various Catholic missions.
It is hoped that with the gradual improvement of the security situation, the displaced will be invited to return to their home. This in turn will have a positive impact on public policy because most of the looting and murders occur at night, the different gangs are taking advantage of the fact that neighborhoods are practically deprived of their inhabitants". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/01/2014)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui