AMERICA/PERU - In prayer for harmony among the peoples, pending the judgment of the Hague
Tacna (Agenzia Fides) - A few days before the final judgment of the International Court of Justice in The Hague with regards to the limits of the maritime border between Peru and Chile, the Bishop of Tacna and Moquegua (Peru), His Exc. Mgr. Marco Antonio Cortez Lara sent a communication to the priests and religious of his diocese with some pastoral guidelines in view of this event, scheduled for January 27. The Bishop has decided that on Sunday, January 26th a Mass is to be celebrated for the harmony of the people of Peru and Chile, with readings and prayers chosen for the occasion; on the 27th the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament will take place in all parishes and communities, asking for the gift of peace and mutual forgiveness between the two countries.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Cortez Lara informs that he will preside over the celebrations in the Cathedral of Tacna, simultaneously with the Apostolic Administrator of Arica, Father Santiago Sharp, in the Cathedral of Santiago in Arica (Chile). The Episcopal Conference of Peru and Chile have invited all the faithful to participate in these days of prayer for peace and unity among the Peruvians and Chileans brothers (see Fides 09/01/2014). The Bishops of both countries believe that the authorities of the respective States "are committed to full compliance and observance of the judgment of the International Court of Justice. Among other factors, the relationship between the two peoples is founded on respect regarding mutual agreements and is subject to international law". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/01/2014)
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking