AMERICA/PERU - In prayer for harmony among the peoples, pending the judgment of the Hague
Tacna (Agenzia Fides) - A few days before the final judgment of the International Court of Justice in The Hague with regards to the limits of the maritime border between Peru and Chile, the Bishop of Tacna and Moquegua (Peru), His Exc. Mgr. Marco Antonio Cortez Lara sent a communication to the priests and religious of his diocese with some pastoral guidelines in view of this event, scheduled for January 27. The Bishop has decided that on Sunday, January 26th a Mass is to be celebrated for the harmony of the people of Peru and Chile, with readings and prayers chosen for the occasion; on the 27th the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament will take place in all parishes and communities, asking for the gift of peace and mutual forgiveness between the two countries.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Cortez Lara informs that he will preside over the celebrations in the Cathedral of Tacna, simultaneously with the Apostolic Administrator of Arica, Father Santiago Sharp, in the Cathedral of Santiago in Arica (Chile). The Episcopal Conference of Peru and Chile have invited all the faithful to participate in these days of prayer for peace and unity among the Peruvians and Chileans brothers (see Fides 09/01/2014). The Bishops of both countries believe that the authorities of the respective States "are committed to full compliance and observance of the judgment of the International Court of Justice. Among other factors, the relationship between the two peoples is founded on respect regarding mutual agreements and is subject to international law". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/01/2014)
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/PERU – 100 years of mission among indigenous women in the Amazon
- 2015-07-23 - Peru and Brazil together to eradicate child labour in Amazonia
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers