AMERICA/PERU - In prayer for harmony among the peoples, pending the judgment of the Hague
Tacna (Agenzia Fides) - A few days before the final judgment of the International Court of Justice in The Hague with regards to the limits of the maritime border between Peru and Chile, the Bishop of Tacna and Moquegua (Peru), His Exc. Mgr. Marco Antonio Cortez Lara sent a communication to the priests and religious of his diocese with some pastoral guidelines in view of this event, scheduled for January 27. The Bishop has decided that on Sunday, January 26th a Mass is to be celebrated for the harmony of the people of Peru and Chile, with readings and prayers chosen for the occasion; on the 27th the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament will take place in all parishes and communities, asking for the gift of peace and mutual forgiveness between the two countries.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Cortez Lara informs that he will preside over the celebrations in the Cathedral of Tacna, simultaneously with the Apostolic Administrator of Arica, Father Santiago Sharp, in the Cathedral of Santiago in Arica (Chile). The Episcopal Conference of Peru and Chile have invited all the faithful to participate in these days of prayer for peace and unity among the Peruvians and Chileans brothers (see Fides 09/01/2014). The Bishops of both countries believe that the authorities of the respective States "are committed to full compliance and observance of the judgment of the International Court of Justice. Among other factors, the relationship between the two peoples is founded on respect regarding mutual agreements and is subject to international law". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/01/2014)
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation
- 2014-11-15 - "Network for a Culture of meeting", also Cusco present at the XIII Meeting of RIIAL
- 2014-11-05 - The Bishops are always close to the 3 and a half million Peruvians away from home
- 2014-10-31 - Thousands of young people on pilgrimage instead of the "Feast of Hallowen"
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth
- 2014-09-23 - "Gold fever" increases human trafficking and sexual exploitation
- 2014-09-19 - The activist who fought for the Amazonian forest, against the deforestation of his land killed
- 2014-09-10 - “Young people without frontiers”: witnesses and proclaimers of the faith to the world of today