AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Catholic Church saves a dozen children from human trafficking
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Twelve children who had fallen into the clutches of human traffickers have been saved thanks to the efforts of the Diocesan Commission "Justice and Peace" in Kikwit, in Bandundu Province, in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The children, who were brought to the capital, Kinshasa, by the organization of traffickers have been able to re-embrace their families.
The President of "Justice and Peace" in Kikwit, Arsène Ngondo, reported to Radio Okapi that human trafficking is a growing phenomenon in the Province of Bandundu. "We were able to find and recover twelve boys at our expenses and with the help of some facilities", said Ngondo. "We urge the authorities to engage in the fight against human trafficking. In the new century, it would be a humiliation for the DRC not be able to stop this phenomenon".
On January 9, Fr. Henri De la Kethule, a Jesuit, had denounced a "gigantic" trafficking of active Organs, which had been going on for at least nine months between Kikwit and Kinshasa. According to the religious, the traffickers persuade the parents of needy families to entrust their children to take them to an orphanage created by Fr. Henri. Children are sold to the best buyer. Children are often forced into prostitution or end up slaves in the fields. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/01/2014)
- 2015-11-30 - At least 30 dead in a new attack of jihadists of the ADF in North Kivu
- 2015-11-27 - The Bishops: "Stop shedding the blood of the Congolese"
- 2015-11-19 - Open discussion on the mission in Africa 50 years after the "Ad Gentes" apostolic decree
- 2015-11-16 - The Bishops: "National dialogue must respect the Constitution"
- 2015-11-05 - Civil society: "There are foreign jihadists in our region despite what the UN says"
- 2015-11-04 - Kidnappings: new plague in North Kivu: more than 600 seizures since the beginning of the year
- 2015-10-30 - Lack of funds put the elections at risk
- 2015-10-22 - Catholic Bishops disassociate from choice of presidency candidate for Independent National Election Commission
- 2015-10-21 - Three years after the disappearance of the three Congolese Assumptionists, no word on their fate
- 2015-10-20 - Religious confessions announce the rapid appointment of the new head of the Electoral Commission