AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Catholic Church saves a dozen children from human trafficking
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Twelve children who had fallen into the clutches of human traffickers have been saved thanks to the efforts of the Diocesan Commission "Justice and Peace" in Kikwit, in Bandundu Province, in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The children, who were brought to the capital, Kinshasa, by the organization of traffickers have been able to re-embrace their families.
The President of "Justice and Peace" in Kikwit, Arsène Ngondo, reported to Radio Okapi that human trafficking is a growing phenomenon in the Province of Bandundu. "We were able to find and recover twelve boys at our expenses and with the help of some facilities", said Ngondo. "We urge the authorities to engage in the fight against human trafficking. In the new century, it would be a humiliation for the DRC not be able to stop this phenomenon".
On January 9, Fr. Henri De la Kethule, a Jesuit, had denounced a "gigantic" trafficking of active Organs, which had been going on for at least nine months between Kikwit and Kinshasa. According to the religious, the traffickers persuade the parents of needy families to entrust their children to take them to an orphanage created by Fr. Henri. Children are sold to the best buyer. Children are often forced into prostitution or end up slaves in the fields. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/01/2014)
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja
- 2014-10-14 - New threats to priests and religious women because of the opposition of the Bishops to the constitutional amendment
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in the areas that the army has declared "free" from the guerrillas continue
- 2014-10-02 - Initiatives on behalf of "Justice and Peace" for reconciliation between Congolese and Rwandans
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"
- 2014-09-02 - Dismay for the death, only months apart, of the two army officers who defeated M23