AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Catholic Church saves a dozen children from human trafficking
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Twelve children who had fallen into the clutches of human traffickers have been saved thanks to the efforts of the Diocesan Commission "Justice and Peace" in Kikwit, in Bandundu Province, in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The children, who were brought to the capital, Kinshasa, by the organization of traffickers have been able to re-embrace their families.
The President of "Justice and Peace" in Kikwit, Arsène Ngondo, reported to Radio Okapi that human trafficking is a growing phenomenon in the Province of Bandundu. "We were able to find and recover twelve boys at our expenses and with the help of some facilities", said Ngondo. "We urge the authorities to engage in the fight against human trafficking. In the new century, it would be a humiliation for the DRC not be able to stop this phenomenon".
On January 9, Fr. Henri De la Kethule, a Jesuit, had denounced a "gigantic" trafficking of active Organs, which had been going on for at least nine months between Kikwit and Kinshasa. According to the religious, the traffickers persuade the parents of needy families to entrust their children to take them to an orphanage created by Fr. Henri. Children are sold to the best buyer. Children are often forced into prostitution or end up slaves in the fields. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/01/2014)
- 2015-10-06 - First positive impact of the report submitted by Catholic organizations on the mine in Kibali
- 2015-09-17 - Uncontrollable epidemic of measles: 23,000 people infected
- 2015-09-14 - The jihadists hide in the forests of Virunga protected by apparently autonomous local groups
- 2015-09-07 - New massacres committed by jihadists in North Kivu
- 2015-08-24 - Bishops' appeal to young Africans: "Stay in Africa to build a better continent"
- 2015-08-18 - After lengthy delay polling station distribution law approved
- 2015-08-10 - The Catholic Church celebrates 135 years of missions in the DRC
- 2015-07-31 - “Yes to dialogue, but with respect for the law”, local Catholic Church on political dialogue
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu