AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The testimony of a missionary in the midst of the violence in Central Africa
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "Between 8 and 9 January, Seleka burned more than 1,300 homes and killed at least a dozen people in the area of Bozoum. To do this in a context of tensions, is suicide" denounces Fr. Aurelio Gazzera, a Carmelite missionary who works in Bozoum in the west of the Central African Republic. The country is torn by clashes between former Seleka rebels and anti-Balaka militia, who have forced a million civilians to flee.
Seleka have now pull backed from Bozoum, leaving behind lots of hatred and resentment against the Muslim population, considered a supporter of the rebels. Fr. Gazzera unceasingly continues to try to calm things down among the different communities, bringing loads of food at the same time. In the course of his missionary journeys he was a witness not only of looting and violence, but also of episodes of help among people of different faiths, as in a village , where several Muslim women were protected by the Christians.
In Bozoum the soldiers of MISCA (Mission of the Central African States) have arrived, but Fr. Gazzera says that "it is clear that we need a more significant military force. MISCA has left only 11 soldiers in the area who are not sufficient to ensure safety and initiate an urgent operation of disarmament". (LM) (Agenzia Fides 20/01/2014)
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-12-04 - Special Mass for peace at Bangui Carmel hosting 4,000 refugees
- 2014-12-02 - The Bishops denounce: "Banditry threatens peace, it seems that some have fun scattering weapons among the population"
- 2014-11-28 - The head of the group that had seized the Polish priest has been released
- 2014-11-27 - The Vicar General of Bouar: "Fr. Mateusz is fine and was released without the use of force"
- 2014-11-25 - Mgr. Nzapalainga and the Church in aid of former Seleka rebels: a gesture of forgiveness and reconciliation
- 2014-11-20 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Award given to the leaders of the "platform of Religious for Peace", including the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-10-15 - Contacts with the kidnappers of the Polish missionary
- 2014-10-08 - Despite chaos and violence in Bozoum, schools have reopened and the pastoral year has started
- 2014-10-03 - Caritas France: "The situation is still critical because of violence"