AMERICA/MEXICO - Before the image of the Virgin of Candelaria one prays for the return of peace
Michoacán (Agenzia Fides) – During the Mass celebrated yesterday, Sunday, January 19, at the Cathedral of the Assumption in Apatzingán for the arrival of the image of the Virgin of Candelaria (that comes from the chapel of Santiago Acahuato), His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Patiño Velasquez, Bishop of the diocese of Apatzingán, asked the faithful to "banish demons" in order to return to peace, security and freedom of movement in the state of Michoacán, principally in the municipality of Tierra Caliente.
Before the miraculous image of the Virgin of Acahuato, whose annual feast is held on 2 February and attended by over 20,000 people, Mgr. Miguel Patiño said that "society is in desperate need of God", this is why he asked all those present to pray for peace and the return of calm in the area, shaken by terrible clashes between gangs and the military (see Fides 17/01/2014).
Father Gregorio Lopez, pastoral vicar of Apatzingán, at the end of the Mass, according to the note sent to Fides, asked the faithful to "join together to help the government restore order in the community and throw out once and for all the Templar Knights. The community must wake up - said the priest - must believe. But the situation is very delicate, because if the authorities do not do what they promise, they allow the action of self-defense groups". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/01/2014)
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude