ASIA/VIETNAM - Campaign to abolish torture, often used against detainees for religious and political reasons
Hanoi (Agenzia Fides) - The torture of prisoners, particularly prisoners for religious and political reasons, is still widely used in Vietnam. In 2013, the torture suffered by people held for their moral and political beliefs caused in some cases, death. This was denounced by "Christian Solidarity Worldwide" (CSW), the Christian NGO, based in London, which today launched a new campaign to abolish torture in Vietnam. According to a note sent to Fides, the campaign calls for "humane treatment of detainees and prisoners in Vietnam and the elimination of the practice of torture and other abuses in prisons, in police departments, rehabilitation centers and other places of detention".
A campaign to abolish torture in Vietnam requires specific steps that show progress on behalf of the government to eliminate it. Such steps, says CSW, are: the immediate ratification of the Convention against Torture; the ratification of the international convention against forced labor; the adoption of ad hoc legislative measures to abolish this practice.
In the note sent to Fides, Mervyn Thomas, CSW Director, explains: "In 2013, Vietnam was elected in the UN Human Rights Council and signed the Convention against Torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment. This year the government has the opportunity to demonstrate a real commitment to the promotion and protection of the rights enshrined in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 17/01/2014)
- 2014-11-19 - Attacks and arrests in a Mennonite Christian Center
- 2014-10-31 - Catholics in Hanoi demand the return of a land that belongs to the Church
- 2014-10-20 - The Archbishop of Ho Chi Minh city: prayer and hope for the Vatican-Vietnam diplomatic ties
- 2014-09-23 - Family, cradle of faith and of Christian witness
- 2014-09-12 - Land is a source of livelihood for 14% of the indigenous people living in the Country
- 2014-08-01 - The UN Special Rapporteur: "Serious violations of religious freedom"
- 2014-07-22 - "UN expert on religious freedom will visit Viet Nam to assess the situation in the country"
- 2014-07-02 - "Christian family, the cradle of vocations to priesthood" for the Church in Vietnam
- 2014-06-26 - Brutal police repression on Christians Mennonites
- 2014-05-27 - Tensions with China: the faithful pray for justice and peace