AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Christian leaders: "It is an abomination to see a political struggle turned into an ethnic war"
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "We are heart-broken to see what was purely a political problem in the ruling party, SPLM (Sudan People's Liberation Movement), quickly slides into an ethnic one on a rapid and frightening scale", said a statement sent to Fides Agency by the South Sudan Council of the Church (SSCC), the body that brings together the major Christian denominations in South Sudan, including the Catholic Church.
Since mid-December fighting between troops loyal to President Salva Kiir and rebels of former President Riek Machar have caused thousands of deaths, 400,000 internally displaced persons and more than 80,000 South Sudanese refugees in neighboring Countries . "This is an abomination!" warn Christian leaders who express their sympathy with the victims and to the people fleeing.
The representatives of the Christian churches launch an appeal to the parties in conflict to immediately cease hostilities, allow the creation of humanitarian corridors to help the people in need and resolve their disputes in a peaceful manner.
Christian leaders are committed to promoting peace, even through the establishment of village committees and invite the faithful not to fall into the trap of clashes among ethnic groups: "God created us members of diverse ethnic communities, but leaders use their respective ethnic identities to sow hatred and divide the people along ethnic lines. This tendency must be resisted by all means".
The document also proposes to convene a national conference to outline the future of South Sudan, which is open to members of civil society because "sovereignty belongs to the people and not to individual leaders or political parties". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/01/2014)
- 2014-03-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New round of peace talks in South Sudan
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Despite the truce, clashes continue: aid, medicines and therapeutic food are needed
- 2014-02-01 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The Bishops: "Do not exclude the Church and civil society from peace talks"