AFRICA/CONGO DR - Disturbing speculations on the killing of the officer who defeated the M23
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Disturbing facts have been raised on the death of Colonel Mamadou Ndala, killed on January 2 in an ambush in Ngadi (Matembo), a village near the airport in Mavivi, five kilometers from the town of Beni (North Kivu).
Colonel Ndala was credited with defeating the guerrillas of the M23, which for years terrorized North Kivu.
It is believed, according to the Congolese press, that the ambush, attributed by the government to the Ugandan rebels of the ADF-NALU, was actually the result of a feud within the army itself.
"Mamadou N'Dala was regarded by the people as the hero who freed North Kivu from the Rwandan occupation via the M23 and was considered the patriot who was able to demonstrate that the DRC can aspire to the creation of a truly republican army", said a note sent to Fides by the Network for Peace in Congo.
"To address the many inconsistencies, complicity and betrayals, it will be necessary to definitively abandon the path of collective integration in the regular army and opt for a recruitment of new military personnel, on a voluntary and professional basis and in accordance with the criteria laid down by law", said the note, which hopes that justice is carried out for the officer killed as well as for all the victims of the war in Kivu. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/01/2014)
- 2015-08-24 - Bishops' appeal to young Africans: "Stay in Africa to build a better continent"
- 2015-08-18 - After lengthy delay polling station distribution law approved
- 2015-08-10 - The Catholic Church celebrates 135 years of missions in the DRC
- 2015-07-31 - “Yes to dialogue, but with respect for the law”, local Catholic Church on political dialogue
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue