AFRICA/CONGO DR - Disturbing speculations on the killing of the officer who defeated the M23
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Disturbing facts have been raised on the death of Colonel Mamadou Ndala, killed on January 2 in an ambush in Ngadi (Matembo), a village near the airport in Mavivi, five kilometers from the town of Beni (North Kivu).
Colonel Ndala was credited with defeating the guerrillas of the M23, which for years terrorized North Kivu.
It is believed, according to the Congolese press, that the ambush, attributed by the government to the Ugandan rebels of the ADF-NALU, was actually the result of a feud within the army itself.
"Mamadou N'Dala was regarded by the people as the hero who freed North Kivu from the Rwandan occupation via the M23 and was considered the patriot who was able to demonstrate that the DRC can aspire to the creation of a truly republican army", said a note sent to Fides by the Network for Peace in Congo.
"To address the many inconsistencies, complicity and betrayals, it will be necessary to definitively abandon the path of collective integration in the regular army and opt for a recruitment of new military personnel, on a voluntary and professional basis and in accordance with the criteria laid down by law", said the note, which hopes that justice is carried out for the officer killed as well as for all the victims of the war in Kivu. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/01/2014)
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja
- 2014-10-14 - New threats to priests and religious women because of the opposition of the Bishops to the constitutional amendment
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in the areas that the army has declared "free" from the guerrillas continue
- 2014-10-02 - Initiatives on behalf of "Justice and Peace" for reconciliation between Congolese and Rwandans
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"
- 2014-09-02 - Dismay for the death, only months apart, of the two army officers who defeated M23