AFRICA/CONGO DR - Disturbing speculations on the killing of the officer who defeated the M23
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Disturbing facts have been raised on the death of Colonel Mamadou Ndala, killed on January 2 in an ambush in Ngadi (Matembo), a village near the airport in Mavivi, five kilometers from the town of Beni (North Kivu).
Colonel Ndala was credited with defeating the guerrillas of the M23, which for years terrorized North Kivu.
It is believed, according to the Congolese press, that the ambush, attributed by the government to the Ugandan rebels of the ADF-NALU, was actually the result of a feud within the army itself.
"Mamadou N'Dala was regarded by the people as the hero who freed North Kivu from the Rwandan occupation via the M23 and was considered the patriot who was able to demonstrate that the DRC can aspire to the creation of a truly republican army", said a note sent to Fides by the Network for Peace in Congo.
"To address the many inconsistencies, complicity and betrayals, it will be necessary to definitively abandon the path of collective integration in the regular army and opt for a recruitment of new military personnel, on a voluntary and professional basis and in accordance with the criteria laid down by law", said the note, which hopes that justice is carried out for the officer killed as well as for all the victims of the war in Kivu. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/01/2014)
- 2014-11-26 - The massacres in Beni: carried out by a criminal network made up of guerrillas and corrupt military
- 2014-11-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops: "Violence against women is a crime against humanity"
- 2014-11-24 - Another massacre in North Kivu: 200 people were killed in the area in October
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls
- 2014-11-07 - "We want thorough investigation into the violence against the clergy in Lodja" asks civil society
- 2014-11-05 - New massacres in Beni, the people are exasperated and protest in the streets
- 2014-11-03 - Constitutional Amendment: Kinshasa looks at what is happening in Ouagadougou
- 2014-10-28 - A Congolese priest has disappeared for three weeks in Ituri
- 2014-10-27 - The debate on the constitutional reform creates a power vacuum and emphasizes the political instability