AFRICA/CONGO DR - Disturbing speculations on the killing of the officer who defeated the M23
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Disturbing facts have been raised on the death of Colonel Mamadou Ndala, killed on January 2 in an ambush in Ngadi (Matembo), a village near the airport in Mavivi, five kilometers from the town of Beni (North Kivu).
Colonel Ndala was credited with defeating the guerrillas of the M23, which for years terrorized North Kivu.
It is believed, according to the Congolese press, that the ambush, attributed by the government to the Ugandan rebels of the ADF-NALU, was actually the result of a feud within the army itself.
"Mamadou N'Dala was regarded by the people as the hero who freed North Kivu from the Rwandan occupation via the M23 and was considered the patriot who was able to demonstrate that the DRC can aspire to the creation of a truly republican army", said a note sent to Fides by the Network for Peace in Congo.
"To address the many inconsistencies, complicity and betrayals, it will be necessary to definitively abandon the path of collective integration in the regular army and opt for a recruitment of new military personnel, on a voluntary and professional basis and in accordance with the criteria laid down by law", said the note, which hopes that justice is carried out for the officer killed as well as for all the victims of the war in Kivu. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/01/2014)
- 2015-04-27 - The United Nations Commission on Human Rights takes office, but repression of opponents continue
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections
- 2015-03-18 - New violence in North Kivu: "there is an attempt to block the operations against the FDLR" denounces civil society
- 2015-03-12 - Alarm for the recruitment of young Muslims in eastern Congo
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV