AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The "Missionary Jubilee Year in the family" begins, on the feast of the Black Christ
Matagalpa (Agenzia Fides) - Today, "the Missionary Jubilee Year Family" begins in Nicaragua, which coincides with the celebration of the national patronal feast of Nuestro Señor de Esquipulas. The great feast began yesterday, January 14, with a mass pilgrimage from three different points of the country towards the Diocesan Shrine of Our Lord of Esquipulas to celebrate the religious feast in honor of the "Black Christ", as it is called by the people of Central America (in fact, the feast is celebrated also in Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Mexico).
The religious celebrations in the city of Matagalpa this year are characterized by the slogan "90 years for a new evangelization", according to what was reported to Fides Agency in a note by the Bishop of Matagalpa, His Exc. Mgr. José Rolando Alvarez Lagos.
In addition to recalling the expiration date of the 90 years since the construction of the new Shrine, "the Missionary Jubilee Year in the Family" wants to emphasize the missionary commitment of all the baptized in the diocese, in the wake of the Aparecida document.
The pilgrimage to the Shrine of Esquipulas was established 19 years ago by the then Bishop of Matagalpa and the current Archbishop of Managua, His Exc. Mgr. Leopoldo José Brenes Solórzano, and every year the participation of the faithful increases. Last year, the police recorded the participation of over 30,000 people from different parts of the country and this year we expect an even greater turnout. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/01/2014)
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"
- 2015-01-13 - Still controversy about the transoceanic canal: the Bishops call for clarity
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter
- 2014-11-25 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Transoceanic canal: Cardinal Brenes calls for transparency
- 2014-11-24 - Concern for the construction of the Canal: "I will not leave you alone" ensures the Bishop of Granada
- 2014-11-17 - The Church on the mega project of the Interoceanic Canal: "Everyone must be heard"
- 2014-10-01 - Initiatives and projects for 1400 child workers in Honduras and Nicaragua
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police