AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
Los Angeles (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Los Angeles, His Exc. Mgr. Jose Gomez, known for his efforts in favor of immigrants and support for the immigration reform (see Fides 14/01/2014) met leaders of civil society that are opposed to the reform of the law, yesterday at the Town Hall in Los Angeles, to submit his proposals.
He also mentioned the many speeches by Pope Francis in favor of immigrants.
For each question on behalf of those present, the Archbishop responded with clarity, honesty, and in a decisive manner. "The questions helped us to understand that this is a very complex issue and we must find a solution", said Archbishop Gomez without losing optimism despite the harsh criticism.
Manuel Pastor, professor at the University del Sur of California, said: "Those who today oppose immigration reform are not aware of the benefits the approval of the law would bring to the country. There is a positive impact of immigrants on the economy of California, and there is no competition between African-Americans and immigrants".
At the end of June 2013, the Senate approved the law which provides citizenship for undocumented immigrants who arrived in the United States before December 31, 2011 and who have no criminal record. However, due to disagreements between Democrats and Republicans, a date for its discussion and vote has not yet been set. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/01/2014)
- 2014-09-11 - In few days 25 thousand Iraqi Chaldeans have registered in the lists to apply for a USA visa
- 2014-07-26 - "Looking for a lawyer to represent undocumented children"
- 2014-07-24 - The Bishop of Brownsville: "In the face of a humanitarian crisis, we need a humanitarian response"
- 2014-07-08 - Forum on Migration: analysis of the reality and operational proposals are being studied
- 2014-06-28 - Solidarity of Churches for the humanitarian emergency of immigrant children
- 2014-06-24 - Over 160 thousand immigrants in Texas, 37 thousand children are alone
- 2014-06-24 - Children and young immigrants in the U.S.A: "They are not seeking adventure, they are fleeing from a war"
- 2014-06-17 - Peace-building and formation of seminarians in Latin America among the 112projects funded by the U.S. Catholics
- 2014-06-13 - A priest killed and another seriously injured in Phoenix
- 2014-06-11 - The plight of child migrants from Central America and forced to repatriate