AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
Los Angeles (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Los Angeles, His Exc. Mgr. Jose Gomez, known for his efforts in favor of immigrants and support for the immigration reform (see Fides 14/01/2014) met leaders of civil society that are opposed to the reform of the law, yesterday at the Town Hall in Los Angeles, to submit his proposals.
He also mentioned the many speeches by Pope Francis in favor of immigrants.
For each question on behalf of those present, the Archbishop responded with clarity, honesty, and in a decisive manner. "The questions helped us to understand that this is a very complex issue and we must find a solution", said Archbishop Gomez without losing optimism despite the harsh criticism.
Manuel Pastor, professor at the University del Sur of California, said: "Those who today oppose immigration reform are not aware of the benefits the approval of the law would bring to the country. There is a positive impact of immigrants on the economy of California, and there is no competition between African-Americans and immigrants".
At the end of June 2013, the Senate approved the law which provides citizenship for undocumented immigrants who arrived in the United States before December 31, 2011 and who have no criminal record. However, due to disagreements between Democrats and Republicans, a date for its discussion and vote has not yet been set. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/01/2014)
- 2014-04-02 - Six thousand migrants have died in 15 years, the U.S. Bishops celebrated a Mass at the border
- 2014-03-12 - A Catholic Guide for parishes with faithful of different languages and ethnic groups
- 2014-03-05 - The Bishops on the crisis in Ukraine: "We raise our voice in defense of religious liberty"
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/ UNITED STATES – The Church should never forget her duty to accompany immigrants towards integration
- 2014-02-13 - American Indians: neglected and marginalized, but have great capacities
- 2014-01-29 - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
- 2014-01-15 - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
- 2014-01-14 - "They take care of our children and build our homes, but they have no rights": for a more humane approach towards immigrants
- 2014-01-13 - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
- 2013-10-16 - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water