AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
Los Angeles (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Los Angeles, His Exc. Mgr. Jose Gomez, known for his efforts in favor of immigrants and support for the immigration reform (see Fides 14/01/2014) met leaders of civil society that are opposed to the reform of the law, yesterday at the Town Hall in Los Angeles, to submit his proposals.
He also mentioned the many speeches by Pope Francis in favor of immigrants.
For each question on behalf of those present, the Archbishop responded with clarity, honesty, and in a decisive manner. "The questions helped us to understand that this is a very complex issue and we must find a solution", said Archbishop Gomez without losing optimism despite the harsh criticism.
Manuel Pastor, professor at the University del Sur of California, said: "Those who today oppose immigration reform are not aware of the benefits the approval of the law would bring to the country. There is a positive impact of immigrants on the economy of California, and there is no competition between African-Americans and immigrants".
At the end of June 2013, the Senate approved the law which provides citizenship for undocumented immigrants who arrived in the United States before December 31, 2011 and who have no criminal record. However, due to disagreements between Democrats and Republicans, a date for its discussion and vote has not yet been set. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/01/2014)
- 2015-10-24 - Bishop says: “repatriation for minors is sometimes a death sentence
- 2015-10-23 - “We still have a humanitarian crisis on our hands”: testimony of El Paso Bishop
- 2015-09-07 - New health center for basic assistance and nutrition for women and children
- 2015-08-20 - Over 50 thousand Hispanics waiting for the Pope in Washington
- 2015-08-06 - Mgr. Farrell remembers Catholics the duty to welcome foreigners
- 2015-08-05 - Bishops praise Obama's plan to cutt carbon dioxide emissions
- 2015-07-29 - Local Catholic Church applauds order to release detained Central American families
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"