AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
Miami (Agenzia Fides) - The Presidents of the two Commissions of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) have called the excessive emphasis on the U.S. military policy in the fight against drugs in Mexico "counterproductive". "The expenditure should be concentrated on efforts that aim to protect human rights, strengthen civil society and expand the levels of humanitarian and development assistance", reads the letter signed by His Exc. Mgr. Thomas Wenski, Archbishop of Miami (Florida ), Chairman of the Committees on Domestic Justice and Human Development and on International Justice, and by His Exc. Mgr. Richard Pates, Bishop of Des Moines (Iowa), Chairman of the International Commission for Justice and Peace.
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that the letter was sent to Secretary of State, John Kerry, asking him to examine funding priorities and coordinated efforts of the United States government and Mexico against drug trafficking, commitment known as "Merida Initiative". The Bishops also call for the strengthening of the Mexican judicial system, enhancing economic and educational opportunities in Mexico in order to "create viable alternatives to criminal careers", promoting agricultural development and programs for unemployed youth in Mexico.
"While there is a role for security assistance, we also urge that an increased proportion of budgetary expenditures attributable to U.S. international aid be allocated to support the fostering of human rights, a just and humane civil society, and broad-based economic development", wrote the Bishops. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2014)
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"
- 2015-03-27 - Delegation of Bishops to visit a detention center for immigrant families
- 2015-03-27 - Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV has passed away
- 2015-03-20 - Bishops of the diocese on the border: enough with violence and more attention towards the youth
- 2015-02-06 - The young engaged with migrants write to the Pope
- 2015-01-07 - Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service
- 2015-01-05 - National Migration Week 2015: "We are one family"
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: not only diplomatic relations with Cuba, but also cooperation in various fields
- 2014-11-21 - The Church on the measures for immigrants: "We have a long history of welcoming..."
- 2014-11-20 - 2 and a half million children live in shelters, on the streets or in cars