AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
Miami (Agenzia Fides) - The Presidents of the two Commissions of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) have called the excessive emphasis on the U.S. military policy in the fight against drugs in Mexico "counterproductive". "The expenditure should be concentrated on efforts that aim to protect human rights, strengthen civil society and expand the levels of humanitarian and development assistance", reads the letter signed by His Exc. Mgr. Thomas Wenski, Archbishop of Miami (Florida ), Chairman of the Committees on Domestic Justice and Human Development and on International Justice, and by His Exc. Mgr. Richard Pates, Bishop of Des Moines (Iowa), Chairman of the International Commission for Justice and Peace.
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that the letter was sent to Secretary of State, John Kerry, asking him to examine funding priorities and coordinated efforts of the United States government and Mexico against drug trafficking, commitment known as "Merida Initiative". The Bishops also call for the strengthening of the Mexican judicial system, enhancing economic and educational opportunities in Mexico in order to "create viable alternatives to criminal careers", promoting agricultural development and programs for unemployed youth in Mexico.
"While there is a role for security assistance, we also urge that an increased proportion of budgetary expenditures attributable to U.S. international aid be allocated to support the fostering of human rights, a just and humane civil society, and broad-based economic development", wrote the Bishops. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2014)
- 2014-04-02 - Six thousand migrants have died in 15 years, the U.S. Bishops celebrated a Mass at the border
- 2014-03-12 - A Catholic Guide for parishes with faithful of different languages and ethnic groups
- 2014-03-05 - The Bishops on the crisis in Ukraine: "We raise our voice in defense of religious liberty"
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/ UNITED STATES – The Church should never forget her duty to accompany immigrants towards integration
- 2014-02-13 - American Indians: neglected and marginalized, but have great capacities
- 2014-01-29 - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
- 2014-01-15 - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
- 2014-01-14 - "They take care of our children and build our homes, but they have no rights": for a more humane approach towards immigrants
- 2014-01-13 - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
- 2013-10-16 - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water