ASIA/SYRIA - Syrian Orthodox Priest: young Christians flee. Only the elderly will remain in the city
Qamishli (Agenzia Fides ) - "The exodus from the city is in full swing. Every day individuals and families in our community flee, especially young people, who are our hope and our future". This is how the Syrian Orthodox priest Yousef Abdulmasih describes the situation of the Christian community in Qamishli, in the northeastern Syrian province of Jazira . "Our Town", continued the priest in the report sent to Fides Agency "will become a city of old people". The families of students are faced with the dilemma of having to send their children abroad if they wish to continue to study. And in this situation - said Fr. Youssef - the pressures and demands addressed to the leaders of the ecclesial community increase: "Many look at the Church as the only way of salvation able to solve the problems suffered by the people. Some wait. Others criticize. Some make accusations and malicious attacks. Everyone wants this suffering to end". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2014)
- 2014-12-05 - Melkite Patriarch Grégoire III: al Azhar Conference “fundamental event”. Islamist ideology harms both Christians and Muslims
- 2014-12-01 - Civil war is causing the loss of a generation of children
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers