ASIA/SYRIA - Syrian Orthodox Priest: young Christians flee. Only the elderly will remain in the city
Qamishli (Agenzia Fides ) - "The exodus from the city is in full swing. Every day individuals and families in our community flee, especially young people, who are our hope and our future". This is how the Syrian Orthodox priest Yousef Abdulmasih describes the situation of the Christian community in Qamishli, in the northeastern Syrian province of Jazira . "Our Town", continued the priest in the report sent to Fides Agency "will become a city of old people". The families of students are faced with the dilemma of having to send their children abroad if they wish to continue to study. And in this situation - said Fr. Youssef - the pressures and demands addressed to the leaders of the ecclesial community increase: "Many look at the Church as the only way of salvation able to solve the problems suffered by the people. Some wait. Others criticize. Some make accusations and malicious attacks. Everyone wants this suffering to end". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2014)
- 2015-05-27 - Assyrian hostages: jihadists release two women
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?