AMERICA/MEXICO - The Bishop of San Cristobal de Las Casas supports the request to change one’s name
San Cristobal de las Casas (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of San Cristobal de Las Casas (Chiapas, Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, has announced that in coming days there will be a campaign organized by the Office of civil registry for those who want to change their name. "I want to support this campaign - said Mgr. Arizmendi - because there are people who are ashamed to bear the name they have received and this will be an opportunity to correct, legally, the name imposed".
The note sent to Fides reports what the Bishop said after Sunday Mass celebrated in the Cathedral: "Once, during a pastoral visit to Amatenango de la Frontera, I found myself in front of a gentleman called 'Obispo' (bishop), and this was his name, not his nickname. At the time he had to get married and everyone in the country said 'the bishop is getting married' ... Another was called 'one Dollar'. How can one give these names to children?"
The Bishop then extended an invitation to parents, in order for them to realize the importance of choosing a name for their children : "This has nothing to do with choosing a rare name, because then there will be consequences, and one must not have to suffer for one’s own name". He then announced that, after the campaign, the Church will modify its records upon presentation of a document proving that the person has already changed its name. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2014)
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children