AMERICA/MEXICO - The Bishop of San Cristobal de Las Casas supports the request to change one’s name
San Cristobal de las Casas (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of San Cristobal de Las Casas (Chiapas, Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, has announced that in coming days there will be a campaign organized by the Office of civil registry for those who want to change their name. "I want to support this campaign - said Mgr. Arizmendi - because there are people who are ashamed to bear the name they have received and this will be an opportunity to correct, legally, the name imposed".
The note sent to Fides reports what the Bishop said after Sunday Mass celebrated in the Cathedral: "Once, during a pastoral visit to Amatenango de la Frontera, I found myself in front of a gentleman called 'Obispo' (bishop), and this was his name, not his nickname. At the time he had to get married and everyone in the country said 'the bishop is getting married' ... Another was called 'one Dollar'. How can one give these names to children?"
The Bishop then extended an invitation to parents, in order for them to realize the importance of choosing a name for their children : "This has nothing to do with choosing a rare name, because then there will be consequences, and one must not have to suffer for one’s own name". He then announced that, after the campaign, the Church will modify its records upon presentation of a document proving that the person has already changed its name. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2014)
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace