AMERICA/MEXICO - The Bishop of San Cristobal de Las Casas supports the request to change one’s name
San Cristobal de las Casas (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of San Cristobal de Las Casas (Chiapas, Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, has announced that in coming days there will be a campaign organized by the Office of civil registry for those who want to change their name. "I want to support this campaign - said Mgr. Arizmendi - because there are people who are ashamed to bear the name they have received and this will be an opportunity to correct, legally, the name imposed".
The note sent to Fides reports what the Bishop said after Sunday Mass celebrated in the Cathedral: "Once, during a pastoral visit to Amatenango de la Frontera, I found myself in front of a gentleman called 'Obispo' (bishop), and this was his name, not his nickname. At the time he had to get married and everyone in the country said 'the bishop is getting married' ... Another was called 'one Dollar'. How can one give these names to children?"
The Bishop then extended an invitation to parents, in order for them to realize the importance of choosing a name for their children : "This has nothing to do with choosing a rare name, because then there will be consequences, and one must not have to suffer for one’s own name". He then announced that, after the campaign, the Church will modify its records upon presentation of a document proving that the person has already changed its name. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2014)
- 2015-01-19 - Bishop of Zacatecas: The closure of mines is everyone’s problem
- 2015-01-17 - "We must stop violent groups", said Bishop Gallardo
- 2015-01-16 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The Bishops of Guerrero appreciate the good will of the army
- 2015-01-16 - The New Testament in Tsotsil language in the pipeline
- 2015-01-14 - Corruption: a serious disease that has infected all
- 2015-01-09 - The priests of Guerrero "continue to preach the Gospel as always" despite threats and blackmail,
- 2015-01-07 - "The jungle law" does not stop theft
- 2015-01-02 - "The street is my family": Christmas season: love for children, youth and marginalized people
- 2014-12-23 - Mexico is the most dangerous country in Latin America where to exercise the priestly ministry
- 2014-12-22 - The Apostolic Nuncio celebrates Mass for the families of the students who have disappeared from Ayotzinapa