AMERICA/HONDURAS - Sexual abuse and prostitution per 3000 girls between 12 to 17 years of age
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) - On the streets of San Pedro Sula, second city in Honduras after the capital Tegucicalpa, one can see boys and girls who wander adrift in filth and total depravity. 10% have a house, where they only go at night, while others sleep on the cold pavement of the streets. A recent study on the alarm regarding the situation of street children forced to work without protection was launched by the Instituto Hondureño de la Niñez y la Familia (Ihnfa). 20% are likely to join criminal gangs for their illegal activities, and 5 out of 10 peddle drugs. The figures are alarming. According to Ihnfa, in San Pedro Sula there are approximately 5000 children living on the streets. Of these, about 3000 are girls aged between 12 to 17 who are forced into prostitution. 20% of street children are illiterate and 79% do not attend school, as opposed to 0.5% , who are able to complete primary school. Some come from marginalized areas, others from the suburbs. In addition to being victims of sexual abuse, they are forced to beg or wash windows. Young children decide to flee their homes to avoid being ill-treated by the same family, or because their parents abandon them. At the psychological care center in Catrachos al Cambio, a professional helps children to overcome their crisis, and declares that the majority of street children who arrive and undergo treatment recovery do not want to talk about their lives as a result of trauma suffered. In the Honduran city 415 children are in rehabilitation centers, and Christian NGOs. However, they are not enough to save them from the violence of the streets. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2014)
- 2015-07-03 - The Bishops offer their support to dialogue for social peace
- 2015-06-27 - The Church: "politics without corruption"
- 2015-05-21 - "With courage and more faith": Danilo Aceituno lived at the service of God and of the Church
- 2015-03-25 - Minors exploited and underpaid
- 2015-03-03 - There are 6000 teachers: one million children do not go to school
- 2015-02-03 - Card. Maradiaga supports the "Plan de la Alianza para la Prosperidad"
- 2015-01-15 - Over 3000 child beggars on the streets of big cities
- 2014-12-29 - Violence continues to affect mainly children and adolescents
- 2014-11-27 - Violence against women decreases, but there is still an impressive number of cases
- 2014-10-23 - A new location of the detention center in San Pedro Sula for the sake of prisoners