ASIA/SINGAPORE - "Accompanying and evangelizing young people" : Archbishop Goh’s Message
Singapore (Agenzia Fides ) - "I call on you to build a deep communion with the young people so that you may evangelise them. Young people need us to feel with them, empathise with their struggles and pains. They seek to be understood, supported, encouraged, empowered and loved. They need healing and acceptance. To them we must extend the love of Christ in a concrete way, walking and journeying with them and offer them the love and light of Christ". This is the exhortation that the Archbishop of Singapore Mgr. William Goh, addressed to the catechists and the laity of the diocese, on the occasion of the "Day of Catechists", which is celebrated on January 12.
In the text of the message, sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Goh remarked that "the most destructive thing a catechist must never do is to act like a judge or a saint", urging everyone to keep an attitude of humility. The catechetical year in Singapore is dedicated to the theme "Being a people of communion": this is why Archbishop Goh urges to "build a deep communion with young people" and "to be heralds of the new evangelization, starting with ourselves, and reaching out to Singapore society". In this context, "communion is for the mission", he explains, because " mission is the result of an authentic communion".
In the message, the Archbishop highlights some insights of Pope Francis’ Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii Gaudium and points out "the rediscovery of the kerygma" and the announcement of the Good News pointing out that: "This demands attitudes which foster openness to the message: approachability, readiness for dialogue, patience, a warmth and welcome that is non-judgmental". The message also encourages the practice of "spiritual accompaniment", inviting priests, Religious and laity to "accompany young people with mercy". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2014)
- 2014-04-16 - Archbishop Goh: Easter invites us to "proclaim the Gospel with joy and passion"
- 2014-03-07 - "Time of compassion": Archbishop Goh’s message for Lent
- 2014-02-18 - Archbishop Goh: "Sanctify work with prayer"
- 2014-01-10 - "Accompanying and evangelizing young people" : Archbishop Goh’s Message
- 2013-07-26 - The "social WYD" Christian Baptists, in communion with the Pope in Rio
- 2013-05-21 - "Spirituality of communion": the new Archbishop’s manifesto
- 2012-10-16 - An orphanage in Laos and a school in Vietnam: two projects for disadvantaged children
- 2012-05-26 - Pentecost: a "Spring of the Spirit" for the new evangelization
- 2011-09-17 - The Christians to the new President: it is urgent to stop human trafficking
- 2011-08-22 - Evangelization through mass-media: the initiative of young people in Singapore after World Youth Day