AMERICA/HAITI – Children for a new Haiti, four years after the earthquake
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - A group of Haitian children, helped by a Spanish NGO, has made a documentary to convey an optimistic view regarding Haiti and its future, on the occasion of the fourth anniversary (12/01/2010 ) of the earthquake that killed about 300,000 people in the Caribbean country. The promotional spot of the documentary "Me llamo Haiti", by the NGO "Educar desde la Infancia", can be found on the internet: we are talking about a 28 -minute video made entirely by children.
"It is important that people continue to think of Haiti, because much help is still needed and children are lacking in many things", says the president of the NGO, Mar Dominguez to Fides. "We went there and we prepared audiovisual workshops with children. The 25 chosen children learned how to write a screenplay and to work with small cameras, so they have become creators of their own documentary project", he added.
Some children between 9 and 13 years of age talk about how they grow while the country is being rebuilt after the earthquake. Among other issues, they also speak of the difficulties in obtaining drinking water, of health centers and their progress at school. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2014)
- 2014-03-17 - Elections on October 26, the President thanks the Church for the mediation
- 2014-03-14 - Dialogue to conclude the agreement in the country has started again
- 2014-03-06 - Political dialogue resumes, with the mediation of Cardinal Langlois
- 2014-02-25 - “A presence in the eyes of the world for our small country”: newly created Cardinal Langlois speaks with Fides
- 2014-02-18 - The signing of the agreement to overcome the political crisis in Haiti has been postponed
- 2014-01-13 - Four years after the disaster most of the population live in unacceptable poverty
- 2014-01-10 - AMERICA/HAITI – Children for a new Haiti, four years after the earthquake
- 2013-12-16 - "Just like the Holy Family, many Haitian families continue to flee risking their lives": the Bishops' message
- 2013-11-28 - AMERICA/HAITI – Haitians escape, they must avoid the violence on behalf of neighbors
- 2013-11-14 - More than 170 murders and violence continues, we need a plan for disarmament