AMERICA/HAITI – Children for a new Haiti, four years after the earthquake
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - A group of Haitian children, helped by a Spanish NGO, has made a documentary to convey an optimistic view regarding Haiti and its future, on the occasion of the fourth anniversary (12/01/2010 ) of the earthquake that killed about 300,000 people in the Caribbean country. The promotional spot of the documentary "Me llamo Haiti", by the NGO "Educar desde la Infancia", can be found on the internet: we are talking about a 28 -minute video made entirely by children.
"It is important that people continue to think of Haiti, because much help is still needed and children are lacking in many things", says the president of the NGO, Mar Dominguez to Fides. "We went there and we prepared audiovisual workshops with children. The 25 chosen children learned how to write a screenplay and to work with small cameras, so they have become creators of their own documentary project", he added.
Some children between 9 and 13 years of age talk about how they grow while the country is being rebuilt after the earthquake. Among other issues, they also speak of the difficulties in obtaining drinking water, of health centers and their progress at school. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2014)
- 2014-10-16 - Haiti will ask for an extension to the Dominican Republic to regulate the "sans papiers"
- 2014-09-23 - Social movements denounce the failure of the UN Mission, protests in the streets
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The chikungunya virus attacks the poor, even the Church is committed to keeping the disease under control
- 2014-06-04 - Project "House built, hope fulfilled – Vita Ville" for many families, victims of the earthquake
- 2014-05-28 - Economic support for Haitian mothers who live in extreme poverty
- 2014-05-16 - Three years of Martelly’s presidency, among acclaim and requests for resignation
- 2014-05-16 - A center to transform cassava into flour and cope with food insecurity
- 2014-05-08 - Brotherhood and solidarity respond to those who promote hatred between Haitians and Dominicans
- 2014-04-29 - International organizations committed to solving the new political crisis