ASIA/SYRIA - "Adopt a parish in Syria". The initiative of an Armenian Catholic priest
Qamishli (Agenzia Fides) - The Armenian Catholic priest Karnik Youssef Hovsepian, of the parish of St. Joseph in Qamishli, on the occasion of the Epiphany launched an initiative online "Adopt a parish in Syria" to raise funds to support pastoral, educational and charitable activities in favor of refugee families from Aleppo and Deir-al- zor who have found refuge in the city in the north-eastern province of Jazira. The priority of the priest, in the tragic condition experienced by Syria, is to safeguard children first, "I must do something for them", he writes in the appeal also sent to Fides Agency "because children are the face of the Lord, even the Lord recommended us to be close to them". The funds to be collected will be used to ensure the heating of schools (4 thousand liters of fuel are needed for the winter period), to give children lunch at least twice a week, and to distribute small grants to households without basic necessities.
In his message, Fr. Karnik Youssef invites to send offerings to Fr. Vartan Kikaros, secretary of the Armenian Catholic Patriarch - resident in Lebanon - and asks everyone to not stop praying for Syria. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2014)
- 2014-12-05 - Melkite Patriarch Grégoire III: al Azhar Conference “fundamental event”. Islamist ideology harms both Christians and Muslims
- 2014-12-01 - Civil war is causing the loss of a generation of children
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers