ASIA/SYRIA - "Adopt a parish in Syria". The initiative of an Armenian Catholic priest
Qamishli (Agenzia Fides) - The Armenian Catholic priest Karnik Youssef Hovsepian, of the parish of St. Joseph in Qamishli, on the occasion of the Epiphany launched an initiative online "Adopt a parish in Syria" to raise funds to support pastoral, educational and charitable activities in favor of refugee families from Aleppo and Deir-al- zor who have found refuge in the city in the north-eastern province of Jazira. The priority of the priest, in the tragic condition experienced by Syria, is to safeguard children first, "I must do something for them", he writes in the appeal also sent to Fides Agency "because children are the face of the Lord, even the Lord recommended us to be close to them". The funds to be collected will be used to ensure the heating of schools (4 thousand liters of fuel are needed for the winter period), to give children lunch at least twice a week, and to distribute small grants to households without basic necessities.
In his message, Fr. Karnik Youssef invites to send offerings to Fr. Vartan Kikaros, secretary of the Armenian Catholic Patriarch - resident in Lebanon - and asks everyone to not stop praying for Syria. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2014)
- 2015-05-30 - Bishop of Aleppo: unreliable rumors on a jihadist beheaded by an Assyrian soldier. Christians never justify revenge with religious issues
- 2015-05-28 - Appeal of the Marists of Aleppo to the Pope: if you want Christians to remain, the war must be stopped
- 2015-05-27 - Assyrian hostages: jihadists release two women
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee