ASIA/SYRIA - "Adopt a parish in Syria". The initiative of an Armenian Catholic priest
Qamishli (Agenzia Fides) - The Armenian Catholic priest Karnik Youssef Hovsepian, of the parish of St. Joseph in Qamishli, on the occasion of the Epiphany launched an initiative online "Adopt a parish in Syria" to raise funds to support pastoral, educational and charitable activities in favor of refugee families from Aleppo and Deir-al- zor who have found refuge in the city in the north-eastern province of Jazira. The priority of the priest, in the tragic condition experienced by Syria, is to safeguard children first, "I must do something for them", he writes in the appeal also sent to Fides Agency "because children are the face of the Lord, even the Lord recommended us to be close to them". The funds to be collected will be used to ensure the heating of schools (4 thousand liters of fuel are needed for the winter period), to give children lunch at least twice a week, and to distribute small grants to households without basic necessities.
In his message, Fr. Karnik Youssef invites to send offerings to Fr. Vartan Kikaros, secretary of the Armenian Catholic Patriarch - resident in Lebanon - and asks everyone to not stop praying for Syria. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2014)
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed
- 2015-04-09 - Caritas operator dies in the bombing in Aleppo
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"