ASIA/SYRIA - "Adopt a parish in Syria". The initiative of an Armenian Catholic priest
Qamishli (Agenzia Fides) - The Armenian Catholic priest Karnik Youssef Hovsepian, of the parish of St. Joseph in Qamishli, on the occasion of the Epiphany launched an initiative online "Adopt a parish in Syria" to raise funds to support pastoral, educational and charitable activities in favor of refugee families from Aleppo and Deir-al- zor who have found refuge in the city in the north-eastern province of Jazira. The priority of the priest, in the tragic condition experienced by Syria, is to safeguard children first, "I must do something for them", he writes in the appeal also sent to Fides Agency "because children are the face of the Lord, even the Lord recommended us to be close to them". The funds to be collected will be used to ensure the heating of schools (4 thousand liters of fuel are needed for the winter period), to give children lunch at least twice a week, and to distribute small grants to households without basic necessities.
In his message, Fr. Karnik Youssef invites to send offerings to Fr. Vartan Kikaros, secretary of the Armenian Catholic Patriarch - resident in Lebanon - and asks everyone to not stop praying for Syria. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2014)
- 2015-10-08 - The jihadists release the video of the execution of three Assyrian hostages
- 2015-10-07 - Video released on the Christians in Qaryatayn who sign a "protection pact"
- 2015-10-02 - Archbishop Hindo " McCain’s disturbing words on anti-Assad rebels armed by the CIA"
- 2015-09-29 - Bishop Abou Khazen: the choices of the West on the Syrian conflict continue to be inconsiderate
- 2015-09-25 - The self-defense "Sotoro" militias shoot each other
- 2015-09-18 - The Marists in Aleppo: there is a risk of getting used to horror
- 2015-09-15 - Four Christians among the victims of the jihadist attack in Hassaké
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop Hindo: the demands of the jihadists for the release of the Assyrian hostages are more accessible
- 2015-09-04 - Negotiations on the release of father Murad and 270 hostages, Christians and Muslims
- 2015-09-03 - A video and a letter from Father Jacques Murad, the prior of St. Elian kidnapped last May, has been released