AFRICA/CONGO DR - The government: "the security services knew of the preparations regarding the attacks carried out on 30 December "
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The security services knew of the preparations regarding the attacks carried out on 30December in three provinces of the Democratic Republic of Congo, but did not intervene to stop them in time. This is what was admitted by the managers of the Ministries of Interior and Defense in response to the interpellation submitted by Senator Modeste Mutinga Mutuishayi on the degree of knowledge of security forces on the coordinated attacks in several locations in Kinshasa, Lubumbashi, Kolwezi and Kindu.
One wonders therefore, if the security services were aware of the attackers’ plans, why did they not intervene before these attacks were carried out killing at least a hundred victims?
On December 30, some groups attacked the national television headquarters, the headquarters of the armed forces and the airport in N'Djili. Other clashes had occurred in Lubumbashi, capital of Katanga, and in Kindu, the capital of Maniema province.
The attackers seem to be related to Joseph Mukungubila Mutombo, who had been a candidate in the 2006 presidential elections. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2014-12-22 - North Kivu: the conclusions of the meeting of the "wise men" to end the war in the Territory of Beni
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue
- 2014-12-05 - More than 88,000 persons displaced by guerrilla violence; no words describe the tragedy and horror
- 2014-11-26 - The massacres in Beni: carried out by a criminal network made up of guerrillas and corrupt military
- 2014-11-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops: "Violence against women is a crime against humanity"
- 2014-11-24 - Another massacre in North Kivu: 200 people were killed in the area in October
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls