AFRICA/CONGO DR - The government: "the security services knew of the preparations regarding the attacks carried out on 30 December "
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The security services knew of the preparations regarding the attacks carried out on 30December in three provinces of the Democratic Republic of Congo, but did not intervene to stop them in time. This is what was admitted by the managers of the Ministries of Interior and Defense in response to the interpellation submitted by Senator Modeste Mutinga Mutuishayi on the degree of knowledge of security forces on the coordinated attacks in several locations in Kinshasa, Lubumbashi, Kolwezi and Kindu.
One wonders therefore, if the security services were aware of the attackers’ plans, why did they not intervene before these attacks were carried out killing at least a hundred victims?
On December 30, some groups attacked the national television headquarters, the headquarters of the armed forces and the airport in N'Djili. Other clashes had occurred in Lubumbashi, capital of Katanga, and in Kindu, the capital of Maniema province.
The attackers seem to be related to Joseph Mukungubila Mutombo, who had been a candidate in the 2006 presidential elections. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue
- 2015-06-09 - After the Bishops also civil society denounces the massacres committed by jihadists in Beni, "the world must intervene"
- 2015-06-05 - International ecumenical initiative launched to accompany the 2016 elections
- 2015-06-02 - The Bishops’ request to the President: "A national dialogue in accordance with the Constitution"
- 2015-05-26 - The Bishops denounce: "In eastern Congo three basic training camps for jihadists; but the UN observes without intervening"
- 2015-05-22 - Civil society denounces the ambiguous role of the army in the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2015-05-18 - Prayers and mobilization of the population to demand an end of attacks by Ugandan rebels