AFRICA/CONGO DR - The government: "the security services knew of the preparations regarding the attacks carried out on 30 December "
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The security services knew of the preparations regarding the attacks carried out on 30December in three provinces of the Democratic Republic of Congo, but did not intervene to stop them in time. This is what was admitted by the managers of the Ministries of Interior and Defense in response to the interpellation submitted by Senator Modeste Mutinga Mutuishayi on the degree of knowledge of security forces on the coordinated attacks in several locations in Kinshasa, Lubumbashi, Kolwezi and Kindu.
One wonders therefore, if the security services were aware of the attackers’ plans, why did they not intervene before these attacks were carried out killing at least a hundred victims?
On December 30, some groups attacked the national television headquarters, the headquarters of the armed forces and the airport in N'Djili. Other clashes had occurred in Lubumbashi, capital of Katanga, and in Kindu, the capital of Maniema province.
The attackers seem to be related to Joseph Mukungubila Mutombo, who had been a candidate in the 2006 presidential elections. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2015-05-22 - Civil society denounces the ambiguous role of the army in the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2015-05-18 - Prayers and mobilization of the population to demand an end of attacks by Ugandan rebels
- 2015-05-18 - More than a hundred women victims of rape in the attack in Kikamba
- 2015-05-05 - More than 7,000 Burundian asylum-seekers in South Kivu; UN and Caritas mobilized
- 2015-04-30 - African rebirth also passes through the media and Pan-African tourism
- 2015-04-27 - The United Nations Commission on Human Rights takes office, but repression of opponents continue
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections