AFRICA/CONGO DR - The government: "the security services knew of the preparations regarding the attacks carried out on 30 December "
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The security services knew of the preparations regarding the attacks carried out on 30December in three provinces of the Democratic Republic of Congo, but did not intervene to stop them in time. This is what was admitted by the managers of the Ministries of Interior and Defense in response to the interpellation submitted by Senator Modeste Mutinga Mutuishayi on the degree of knowledge of security forces on the coordinated attacks in several locations in Kinshasa, Lubumbashi, Kolwezi and Kindu.
One wonders therefore, if the security services were aware of the attackers’ plans, why did they not intervene before these attacks were carried out killing at least a hundred victims?
On December 30, some groups attacked the national television headquarters, the headquarters of the armed forces and the airport in N'Djili. Other clashes had occurred in Lubumbashi, capital of Katanga, and in Kindu, the capital of Maniema province.
The attackers seem to be related to Joseph Mukungubila Mutombo, who had been a candidate in the 2006 presidential elections. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls
- 2014-11-07 - "We want thorough investigation into the violence against the clergy in Lodja" asks civil society
- 2014-11-05 - New massacres in Beni, the people are exasperated and protest in the streets
- 2014-11-03 - Constitutional Amendment: Kinshasa looks at what is happening in Ouagadougou
- 2014-10-28 - A Congolese priest has disappeared for three weeks in Ituri
- 2014-10-27 - The debate on the constitutional reform creates a power vacuum and emphasizes the political instability
- 2014-10-24 - The youth of South Kivu with the Bishops against the amendment of the Constitution
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja