AFRICA/CONGO DR - The government: "the security services knew of the preparations regarding the attacks carried out on 30 December "
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The security services knew of the preparations regarding the attacks carried out on 30December in three provinces of the Democratic Republic of Congo, but did not intervene to stop them in time. This is what was admitted by the managers of the Ministries of Interior and Defense in response to the interpellation submitted by Senator Modeste Mutinga Mutuishayi on the degree of knowledge of security forces on the coordinated attacks in several locations in Kinshasa, Lubumbashi, Kolwezi and Kindu.
One wonders therefore, if the security services were aware of the attackers’ plans, why did they not intervene before these attacks were carried out killing at least a hundred victims?
On December 30, some groups attacked the national television headquarters, the headquarters of the armed forces and the airport in N'Djili. Other clashes had occurred in Lubumbashi, capital of Katanga, and in Kindu, the capital of Maniema province.
The attackers seem to be related to Joseph Mukungubila Mutombo, who had been a candidate in the 2006 presidential elections. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"
- 2014-09-02 - Dismay for the death, only months apart, of the two army officers who defeated M23
- 2014-07-28 - It is necessary to vaccinate children against measles
- 2014-07-10 - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
- 2014-07-07 - The army and the UN did not intervene to stop the massacre in Mutarule, HRW denounces
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops recall "the sacred duty to protect the nation and preserve peace"
- 2014-06-26 - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
- 2014-06-25 - "Address the problem of Rwandan Hutu militias once and for all" ask the missionaries
- 2014-06-17 - The Congolese doctor who helps victims of sexual violence:"rape is a weapon of mass destruction"