ASIA/LEBANON - Maronite Bishops: Lebanon looks like the Prometheus of the Middle East
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - Lebanon looks like Prometheus, the mythological greek friend of mankind, punished by the gods for having brought to men the gift of fire. In the same way, the Land of the cedars is affected because in an area of the world torn by sectarian strife, from ethnic-religious cleansing to clashes to impose obscurantist regimes. Thus, resorting to Greek mythology, the monthly Assembly of the Maronite bishops - was held on Wednesday, January 8 in the patriarchal seat in Bkerké under the presidency of Patriarch Bechara Boutros Rai - who described the condition of the Country in this dramatic historical moment, calling on all the Lebanese "to renew their act of faith in Lebanon as an entity and as a formula, preserving the role and the mission carried out in the region and within the international community".
The sectarian and political reasons invoked to justify "the reign of terror that one tries to impose with car bombs, with growing instability and various attacks", reads the final communiqué of the Assembly, sent to Fides Agency "pose all Lebanese together in front of the responsibility to avoid their homeland to be turned into a devastated land".
Lebanon has lived without a government for nine months. The vetoes of opposing political blocks paralyze the Country's political life, as they approach the presidential elections, scheduled for next May. The bishops in their statement urge all parliamentarians "to take charge of their duties", hastening to form a government that measures up to the dramatic moment experienced by the Country and ensuring the continuity of vital institutions. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2014-10-01 - The President of Caritas Lebanon: hostility toward the Syrian refugees increases
- 2014-09-24 - Patriarch Rai: Lebanese Christians and Muslims share the same fate
- 2014-09-18 - The President of Caritas Lebanon: organized chaos in the Middle East also kills charity
- 2014-09-16 - New Mufti installed, a man of dialogue
- 2014-09-12 - Synod of the Armenian Catholic Church: let's get ready and join the Pope in the Mass on the centenary of the Genocide thenesteesntjeenstjnejestjieest n
- 2014-08-20 - Maronite Patriarch Rai: united also with Hezbolllah to block the road to the infiltration of the ISIL
- 2014-07-28 - Patriarch Rai: The new President should not be linked to the two "blocks"
- 2014-07-10 - Patriarch Rai to Lebanese missionaries: the Arab world needs the Gospel
- 2014-07-07 - Patriarch Rai: the existence of Lebanon at risk
- 2014-06-20 - The Maronite Bishops: who boycots Parliament sessions to elect a new president places the Country at risk