ASIA/LEBANON - Maronite Bishops: Lebanon looks like the Prometheus of the Middle East
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - Lebanon looks like Prometheus, the mythological greek friend of mankind, punished by the gods for having brought to men the gift of fire. In the same way, the Land of the cedars is affected because in an area of the world torn by sectarian strife, from ethnic-religious cleansing to clashes to impose obscurantist regimes. Thus, resorting to Greek mythology, the monthly Assembly of the Maronite bishops - was held on Wednesday, January 8 in the patriarchal seat in Bkerké under the presidency of Patriarch Bechara Boutros Rai - who described the condition of the Country in this dramatic historical moment, calling on all the Lebanese "to renew their act of faith in Lebanon as an entity and as a formula, preserving the role and the mission carried out in the region and within the international community".
The sectarian and political reasons invoked to justify "the reign of terror that one tries to impose with car bombs, with growing instability and various attacks", reads the final communiqué of the Assembly, sent to Fides Agency "pose all Lebanese together in front of the responsibility to avoid their homeland to be turned into a devastated land".
Lebanon has lived without a government for nine months. The vetoes of opposing political blocks paralyze the Country's political life, as they approach the presidential elections, scheduled for next May. The bishops in their statement urge all parliamentarians "to take charge of their duties", hastening to form a government that measures up to the dramatic moment experienced by the Country and ensuring the continuity of vital institutions. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2015-07-06 - The Maronite Patriarch: the storm will pass, and Christians will remain in the Middle East
- 2015-06-25 - Armenian Catholic Patriarch Nerses Bedros XIX dies in Lebanon
- 2015-06-17 - Prayers to the Virgin of Fatima to invoke the election of a new President
- 2015-06-16 - Maronite and Greek-Melkite Synods have begun. Patriarch Grégoire: 60% of the Lebanese think of emigrating
- 2015-06-10 - The Lebanese pray for the unity of the Country in front of the statue of Our Lady of Fatima
- 2015-05-19 - Christian politicians confront each other over "Aoun’s proposal" in order to exit the crisis
- 2015-05-12 - Parties of the two blocs signed a document of "national partnership" proposed by the Maronite League
- 2015-05-11 - Maronite Patriarch: politics and diplomacy is needed for peace in the Middle East, not military intervention
- 2015-05-07 - The Maronite Bishops ask for the feast of the "Lebanese Martyrs" to be restored
- 2015-04-13 - The Armenian Catholic Patriarch Nerses Bedros XIX: the Pope's words on the Genocide express the conscience of mankind, they are not "against" anyone