AMERICA/COSTA RICA - The new Bishop of El General calls on Costa Ricans to vote on February 2
San Isidro (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop-elect of the Diocese of San Isidro de El General (Costa Rica), Mgr. Gabriel Enrique Montero Umaña, O.F.M. Conv, was presented by the Bishop Emeritus of the Diocese of San Jose de Costa Rica, His Exc. Mgr. Hugo Barrantes Ureña, during a press conference.
Among the first things he pointed out is his desire to be very close to the community: "It has to do with following Pope Francis – he said - in my case, there is a greater responsibility because I am a Franciscan, and are therefore I am called upon to deal with people and especially with the weak and the needy (...).
To become a Franciscan does not happen automatically, but I can promise that I will do everything I can to follow the wonderful example of Pope Francis".
Then the Bishop-elect
asked the people to go and vote: "It is said that this area has the highest rate of abstention, so this is why I want to make an appeal to all Costa Ricans, at least to all those who belong to this diocese to go and vote".
The presidential elections in Costa Rica will be national elections and will take place on Sunday, February 2, 2014 (the first Sunday of February, according to the Constitution) to elect the President of Costa Rica, the Vice-Presidents and members of the Legislative Assembly. For the first time Costa Ricans residing outside of the country (about 200 thousand) will be able to vote. Even the 50 thousand immigrants with citizenship are to be considered a decisive group for this election. Mgr. Gabriel Enrique Montero will take office as Bishop of the Diocese of San Isidro de El General on March 1st. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/01/2014)
- 2015-10-01 - Hydroelectric project: communities meet the Bishop to deal with the problem
- 2015-09-28 - A canteen for poor children who go to school
- 2015-08-04 - AMERICA/COSTA RICA –La Negrita celebrations: the local Catholic Church calls for intervention in favour of the family
- 2015-03-02 - Unexpected increase of cases of rotavirus in children: a thousand a week
- 2014-12-23 - Entrepreneurial initiatives for poor women
- 2014-12-17 - The campaign against hunger begins again, especially to help poor families
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/COSTA RICA – Poverty and violence afflict 34% of Costa Rica’s children
- 2014-09-09 - Solidarity initiative to prevent child abuse and maltreatment
- 2014-07-23 - The chicungunya virus continues to alarm Latin American Countries
- 2014-06-12 - More than 47 thousand children suffer violence and are forced to work