AMERICA/COSTA RICA - The new Bishop of El General calls on Costa Ricans to vote on February 2
San Isidro (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop-elect of the Diocese of San Isidro de El General (Costa Rica), Mgr. Gabriel Enrique Montero Umaña, O.F.M. Conv, was presented by the Bishop Emeritus of the Diocese of San Jose de Costa Rica, His Exc. Mgr. Hugo Barrantes Ureña, during a press conference.
Among the first things he pointed out is his desire to be very close to the community: "It has to do with following Pope Francis – he said - in my case, there is a greater responsibility because I am a Franciscan, and are therefore I am called upon to deal with people and especially with the weak and the needy (...).
To become a Franciscan does not happen automatically, but I can promise that I will do everything I can to follow the wonderful example of Pope Francis".
Then the Bishop-elect
asked the people to go and vote: "It is said that this area has the highest rate of abstention, so this is why I want to make an appeal to all Costa Ricans, at least to all those who belong to this diocese to go and vote".
The presidential elections in Costa Rica will be national elections and will take place on Sunday, February 2, 2014 (the first Sunday of February, according to the Constitution) to elect the President of Costa Rica, the Vice-Presidents and members of the Legislative Assembly. For the first time Costa Ricans residing outside of the country (about 200 thousand) will be able to vote. Even the 50 thousand immigrants with citizenship are to be considered a decisive group for this election. Mgr. Gabriel Enrique Montero will take office as Bishop of the Diocese of San Isidro de El General on March 1st. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/01/2014)
- 2014-04-07 - Presidential elections: the Bishops urge unity for peace, solidarity, justice and holiness
- 2014-02-15 - Bishops to MPs: "only wear the shirt of Costa Rica"
- 2014-01-27 - AMERICA/COSTA RICA – The Bishops' appeal before the vote on February 2: Choose the deputies with attention
- 2014-01-08 - The new Bishop of El General calls on Costa Ricans to vote on February 2
- 2013-11-20 - From December, all the parishes will reflect on the Bishops’ document in view of elections
- 2013-11-19 - Alert concerning dengue cases among children under 4 years of age: since 2013 1,500 have been infected
- 2013-11-14 - Appeal rejected: the Bishops' document on the election does not favor any party
- 2013-10-28 - " It is time to act!": Families in defense of life, the first human right
- 2013-10-01 - Poverty rate remains constant and alarming
- 2013-10-01 - The Church offers criteria to elect the next President: a document is being prepared