AMERICA/GUATEMALA - A group of religious women involved in the protection of young orphans
Mixco (Agenzia Fides) - Every day, a group of 180 children are assisted, helped and protected in the Hogar Nuestra Señora Consoladora, founded 33 years ago to protect orphans. The structure is located in the area of Mixco, adjacent to the Mayor Seminary in Asunción. Children between 3 and 18 years of age are educated, fed and clothed with the support of collaborators, donors and benefactors. Sister María Eva Amortegui, deputy director of the house who is in charge of the Little Apostles of Redemption, explains that the aid offered consists of food, footwear and clothing, and in some cases there are people who adopt children and adolescents. "Here we see teenagers from broken homes, children abused, abandoned and poor, while in the other places such as Santa Rosa and Sumpango, we try to give them a bit of maternal love", comments Sister Amortegui. At the age of 13 boys are transferred to a vocational center, where they can continue to study or be adopted. 28 nuns, 7 novices give lessons to children. The structure has so far assisted 10 000 orphans. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/01/2014)
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' Conference asks to "put a stop to corruption"