AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Bishops Plenary being held, while the people "live in fear and social crisis"
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Plenary Assembly of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference (CEV) for its 101st meeting is being held. The meeting will be held from Tuesday 7th to Sunday January 12. According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the Bishops will examine the national and ecclesial situation in the country during this meeting. An important event on which they will focus their attention is the preparation for the next World Youth Day in Krakow.
The opening of the Assembly was presided over by His Exc. Mgr. Diego Padron, Archbishop of Cumana and President of the CEV. The assembly is also attended by Mgr. Rüdiger Feulner, Mgr. Aldo Giordano, who will begin his mission in a month.
In his opening remarks, Mgr. Diego Padron stressed different elements. With regard to the ecclesial panorama he focused on the arrival of Pope Francis, on the publication of his first Apostolic Exhortation, on the guidelines Pope Francis left CELAM; therefore recalled the American Missionary Congress in Maracaibo (CAM 4), which gave new impetus to missionary efforts on the continent and World Youth Day in Brazil.
Moving on to the national panorama, the President of the CEV cited the situation of crisis and fear in which people live in Venezuela, social problems which the government does not solve, the lack of food, corruption among politicians and the polarized clash of political groups. As a positive element he recalled the meeting of the President of the Republic with the deputies of the opposition, although there are still political prisoners and there is no real dialogue and sincere forgiveness between the parties. Finally, the Archbishop spoke of the preparation for the 150th anniversary of the birth of the Servant of God Jose Gregorio Hernandez, noting the commitment of the CEV for this historical, cultural and religious event. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/01/2014)
- 2014-08-12 - "Commit to a missionary cooperation", the V National Missionary Congress has concluded
- 2014-08-06 - The V National Missionary Congress begins
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers
- 2014-07-12 - "It is impossible to find a solution if you do not listen to the people", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-09 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: defeat pessimism and allow hope to grow
- 2014-06-25 - National holiday marked by demonstrations
- 2014-06-23 - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked
- 2014-05-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue resumes, but we need facts not promises
- 2014-05-14 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – What is feared is the failure of peace talks, today new student demonstration
- 2014-04-16 - "The situation of the country does not depend only on a political issue", said Mgr. Parra Sandoval