AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Bishops Plenary being held, while the people "live in fear and social crisis"
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Plenary Assembly of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference (CEV) for its 101st meeting is being held. The meeting will be held from Tuesday 7th to Sunday January 12. According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the Bishops will examine the national and ecclesial situation in the country during this meeting. An important event on which they will focus their attention is the preparation for the next World Youth Day in Krakow.
The opening of the Assembly was presided over by His Exc. Mgr. Diego Padron, Archbishop of Cumana and President of the CEV. The assembly is also attended by Mgr. Rüdiger Feulner, Mgr. Aldo Giordano, who will begin his mission in a month.
In his opening remarks, Mgr. Diego Padron stressed different elements. With regard to the ecclesial panorama he focused on the arrival of Pope Francis, on the publication of his first Apostolic Exhortation, on the guidelines Pope Francis left CELAM; therefore recalled the American Missionary Congress in Maracaibo (CAM 4), which gave new impetus to missionary efforts on the continent and World Youth Day in Brazil.
Moving on to the national panorama, the President of the CEV cited the situation of crisis and fear in which people live in Venezuela, social problems which the government does not solve, the lack of food, corruption among politicians and the polarized clash of political groups. As a positive element he recalled the meeting of the President of the Republic with the deputies of the opposition, although there are still political prisoners and there is no real dialogue and sincere forgiveness between the parties. Finally, the Archbishop spoke of the preparation for the 150th anniversary of the birth of the Servant of God Jose Gregorio Hernandez, noting the commitment of the CEV for this historical, cultural and religious event. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/01/2014)
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals
- 2015-08-07 - There are 10,000 participants attending the III Youth National Meeting
- 2015-08-06 - National meeting among the indigenous communities for the protection of human rights
- 2015-07-21 - The body of a Franciscan who died a few days has been found
- 2015-07-20 - Games, songs, dances: a feast to celebrate children
- 2015-07-10 - Catholic Bishops: "The Christian experience must have social consequences"
- 2015-07-07 - Mgr. Padrón: "Corruption, repression, popular discontent characterize the present"
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk