AMERICA/MEXICO – A priest of the diocese of Ciudad Victoria has been missing since November, violence does not calm down
Ciudad Victoria (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Ciudad Victoria, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio González Sánchez, confirmed that one of his priests has been missing for two months, while the insecurity in the area remains very high due to organized crime: "I must say one of our priests has been missing since 3 November", the Bishop said to the local press. The note sent to Fides Agency confirms that even the Church lives the tension and insecurity in this area. Mgr. González Sánchez wanted to emphasize that unfortunately the wave of violence in the diocese and neighboring dioceses does not calm down: we are talking about Tamaulipas, which includes Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, Ciudad Victoria y Tampico.
In recent years, violence against priests, religious and lay people has been on the rise, there have been no reported cases of attempted kidnapping and one can say that "the phenomenon is worsening", confirms a study by the Catholic Multimedia Centre (CMC). Extortions are also increasing: in 2013 alone there were 1,465 reported cases. "For the sixth consecutive year, Mexico continues to have the record of crimes against priests, religious and laity in Latin America" stresses the document quoted by the weekly "Desde la Fe" of the Archdiocese of Mexico. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration
- 2014-07-11 - The Central American Church's commitment to eradicate the causes of child emigration
- 2014-07-07 - More than 8 million indigenous women suffer physical and moral violence
- 2014-07-04 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Inauguration of a reception center, but the issue on migrants should be resolved at the root
- 2014-07-03 - Formation and spirituality for a missionary Church, engaged in society
- 2014-07-02 - Immigrant children: now even more controls on the southern border of Mexico
- 2014-07-01 - Despite the distrust of the population, the police fight against crime
- 2014-06-30 - Marijuana and cocaine as early as 12 years of age