AMERICA/MEXICO – A priest of the diocese of Ciudad Victoria has been missing since November, violence does not calm down
Ciudad Victoria (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Ciudad Victoria, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio González Sánchez, confirmed that one of his priests has been missing for two months, while the insecurity in the area remains very high due to organized crime: "I must say one of our priests has been missing since 3 November", the Bishop said to the local press. The note sent to Fides Agency confirms that even the Church lives the tension and insecurity in this area. Mgr. González Sánchez wanted to emphasize that unfortunately the wave of violence in the diocese and neighboring dioceses does not calm down: we are talking about Tamaulipas, which includes Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, Ciudad Victoria y Tampico.
In recent years, violence against priests, religious and lay people has been on the rise, there have been no reported cases of attempted kidnapping and one can say that "the phenomenon is worsening", confirms a study by the Catholic Multimedia Centre (CMC). Extortions are also increasing: in 2013 alone there were 1,465 reported cases. "For the sixth consecutive year, Mexico continues to have the record of crimes against priests, religious and laity in Latin America" stresses the document quoted by the weekly "Desde la Fe" of the Archdiocese of Mexico. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement