AMERICA/MEXICO – A priest of the diocese of Ciudad Victoria has been missing since November, violence does not calm down
Ciudad Victoria (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Ciudad Victoria, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio González Sánchez, confirmed that one of his priests has been missing for two months, while the insecurity in the area remains very high due to organized crime: "I must say one of our priests has been missing since 3 November", the Bishop said to the local press. The note sent to Fides Agency confirms that even the Church lives the tension and insecurity in this area. Mgr. González Sánchez wanted to emphasize that unfortunately the wave of violence in the diocese and neighboring dioceses does not calm down: we are talking about Tamaulipas, which includes Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, Ciudad Victoria y Tampico.
In recent years, violence against priests, religious and lay people has been on the rise, there have been no reported cases of attempted kidnapping and one can say that "the phenomenon is worsening", confirms a study by the Catholic Multimedia Centre (CMC). Extortions are also increasing: in 2013 alone there were 1,465 reported cases. "For the sixth consecutive year, Mexico continues to have the record of crimes against priests, religious and laity in Latin America" stresses the document quoted by the weekly "Desde la Fe" of the Archdiocese of Mexico. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
AMERICA/MEXICO – A PRIEST OF THE DIOCESE OF CIUDAD VICTORIA HAS BEEN MISSING SINCE NOVEMBER, VIOLENCE DOES NOT CALM DOWN
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude