AMERICA/MEXICO – A priest of the diocese of Ciudad Victoria has been missing since November, violence does not calm down
Ciudad Victoria (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Ciudad Victoria, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio González Sánchez, confirmed that one of his priests has been missing for two months, while the insecurity in the area remains very high due to organized crime: "I must say one of our priests has been missing since 3 November", the Bishop said to the local press. The note sent to Fides Agency confirms that even the Church lives the tension and insecurity in this area. Mgr. González Sánchez wanted to emphasize that unfortunately the wave of violence in the diocese and neighboring dioceses does not calm down: we are talking about Tamaulipas, which includes Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, Ciudad Victoria y Tampico.
In recent years, violence against priests, religious and lay people has been on the rise, there have been no reported cases of attempted kidnapping and one can say that "the phenomenon is worsening", confirms a study by the Catholic Multimedia Centre (CMC). Extortions are also increasing: in 2013 alone there were 1,465 reported cases. "For the sixth consecutive year, Mexico continues to have the record of crimes against priests, religious and laity in Latin America" stresses the document quoted by the weekly "Desde la Fe" of the Archdiocese of Mexico. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
AMERICA/MEXICO – A PRIEST OF THE DIOCESE OF CIUDAD VICTORIA HAS BEEN MISSING SINCE NOVEMBER, VIOLENCE DOES NOT CALM DOWN
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?
- 2015-05-11 - Mgr. Armendáriz to candidates: "We want proposals rather than promises"
- 2015-05-06 - The monumental image of the "Cristo de las Noas" will be donated to the diocese of Torreon
- 2015-04-30 - Toys, sweets, clothes, shoes: collection in favor of the more vulnerable indigenous children
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States