AMERICA/MEXICO – A priest of the diocese of Ciudad Victoria has been missing since November, violence does not calm down
Ciudad Victoria (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Ciudad Victoria, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio González Sánchez, confirmed that one of his priests has been missing for two months, while the insecurity in the area remains very high due to organized crime: "I must say one of our priests has been missing since 3 November", the Bishop said to the local press. The note sent to Fides Agency confirms that even the Church lives the tension and insecurity in this area. Mgr. González Sánchez wanted to emphasize that unfortunately the wave of violence in the diocese and neighboring dioceses does not calm down: we are talking about Tamaulipas, which includes Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, Ciudad Victoria y Tampico.
In recent years, violence against priests, religious and lay people has been on the rise, there have been no reported cases of attempted kidnapping and one can say that "the phenomenon is worsening", confirms a study by the Catholic Multimedia Centre (CMC). Extortions are also increasing: in 2013 alone there were 1,465 reported cases. "For the sixth consecutive year, Mexico continues to have the record of crimes against priests, religious and laity in Latin America" stresses the document quoted by the weekly "Desde la Fe" of the Archdiocese of Mexico. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop