AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "In Malakal , the situation is desperate", says a local source to Fides
Juba (Agenzia Fides ) - "There has been fighting in Malakal since December 24. The faithful were not able to celebrate Christmas Mass" refers a source of the local Church to Fides. Malakal is the capital of the Upper Nile State, in South Sudan.
Even this area has been severely affected by the fighting between the forces of President Salva Kiir Mayardit and those of former Vice President Riek Machar. "The population is hiding under beds and is now without food, water, medicines and other basic necessities", says our source .
This is because "forces of Machar have looted and burned the market town of Malakal. So there is no more food available".
The South Sudanese army is trying to regain the city and in the fighting in recent days a number of civilians have lost their lives. "The bombs have hit many houses. Among the victims there are several children killed by bullets and bombs: The only doctor left does what he can to treat the large number of wounded who continue to arrive in the hospital. The situation is desperate", concludes our source. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda