AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "In Malakal , the situation is desperate", says a local source to Fides
Juba (Agenzia Fides ) - "There has been fighting in Malakal since December 24. The faithful were not able to celebrate Christmas Mass" refers a source of the local Church to Fides. Malakal is the capital of the Upper Nile State, in South Sudan.
Even this area has been severely affected by the fighting between the forces of President Salva Kiir Mayardit and those of former Vice President Riek Machar. "The population is hiding under beds and is now without food, water, medicines and other basic necessities", says our source .
This is because "forces of Machar have looted and burned the market town of Malakal. So there is no more food available".
The South Sudanese army is trying to regain the city and in the fighting in recent days a number of civilians have lost their lives. "The bombs have hit many houses. Among the victims there are several children killed by bullets and bombs: The only doctor left does what he can to treat the large number of wounded who continue to arrive in the hospital. The situation is desperate", concludes our source. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
- 2015-08-28 - The President orders the cease-fire, but expresses strong reservations on the peace agreement
- 2015-08-27 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – No celebration was held in Juba for the signing of the peace agreement, "too many deaths for us to rejoice"
- 2015-08-26 - Towards the signing of the peace agreement to end the conflict described by the UN as "a threat to the peace of the entire region"
- 2015-08-11 - The peace process led by the Council of Churches begins
- 2015-08-07 - There are few hopes that the peace agreement will be signed by 17 August
- 2015-08-05 - The government of Juba rejects IGAD's peace plan, criticized by many
- 2015-08-03 - “Peace now” women march through the streets of Juba
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity
- 2015-07-17 - "We must start again from scratch", says the Bishop Emeritus of Juba
- 2015-07-10 - New peace initiative announced by the Church on the anniversary of independence