AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "In Malakal , the situation is desperate", says a local source to Fides
Juba (Agenzia Fides ) - "There has been fighting in Malakal since December 24. The faithful were not able to celebrate Christmas Mass" refers a source of the local Church to Fides. Malakal is the capital of the Upper Nile State, in South Sudan.
Even this area has been severely affected by the fighting between the forces of President Salva Kiir Mayardit and those of former Vice President Riek Machar. "The population is hiding under beds and is now without food, water, medicines and other basic necessities", says our source .
This is because "forces of Machar have looted and burned the market town of Malakal. So there is no more food available".
The South Sudanese army is trying to regain the city and in the fighting in recent days a number of civilians have lost their lives. "The bombs have hit many houses. Among the victims there are several children killed by bullets and bombs: The only doctor left does what he can to treat the large number of wounded who continue to arrive in the hospital. The situation is desperate", concludes our source. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity
- 2015-07-17 - "We must start again from scratch", says the Bishop Emeritus of Juba
- 2015-07-10 - New peace initiative announced by the Church on the anniversary of independence
- 2015-07-09 - Violence and insecurity in the camps where refugees fleeing the civil war are welcomed
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders