AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "In Malakal , the situation is desperate", says a local source to Fides
Juba (Agenzia Fides ) - "There has been fighting in Malakal since December 24. The faithful were not able to celebrate Christmas Mass" refers a source of the local Church to Fides. Malakal is the capital of the Upper Nile State, in South Sudan.
Even this area has been severely affected by the fighting between the forces of President Salva Kiir Mayardit and those of former Vice President Riek Machar. "The population is hiding under beds and is now without food, water, medicines and other basic necessities", says our source .
This is because "forces of Machar have looted and burned the market town of Malakal. So there is no more food available".
The South Sudanese army is trying to regain the city and in the fighting in recent days a number of civilians have lost their lives. "The bombs have hit many houses. Among the victims there are several children killed by bullets and bombs: The only doctor left does what he can to treat the large number of wounded who continue to arrive in the hospital. The situation is desperate", concludes our source. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
- 2014-08-20 - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
- 2014-08-19 - The Bishops' Conference define the closure of Radio Bakhita "unfortunate"
- 2014-08-18 - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
- 2014-08-05 - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia