AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "In Malakal , the situation is desperate", says a local source to Fides
Juba (Agenzia Fides ) - "There has been fighting in Malakal since December 24. The faithful were not able to celebrate Christmas Mass" refers a source of the local Church to Fides. Malakal is the capital of the Upper Nile State, in South Sudan.
Even this area has been severely affected by the fighting between the forces of President Salva Kiir Mayardit and those of former Vice President Riek Machar. "The population is hiding under beds and is now without food, water, medicines and other basic necessities", says our source .
This is because "forces of Machar have looted and burned the market town of Malakal. So there is no more food available".
The South Sudanese army is trying to regain the city and in the fighting in recent days a number of civilians have lost their lives. "The bombs have hit many houses. Among the victims there are several children killed by bullets and bombs: The only doctor left does what he can to treat the large number of wounded who continue to arrive in the hospital. The situation is desperate", concludes our source. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau
- 2015-03-11 - The suffering of the population will increase with the war; the Church is making huge efforts
- 2015-03-10 - The civil war is likely to resume after the failure of Negotiations
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children
- 2015-02-19 - Elections postponed: a contribution towards peace
- 2015-02-10 - The UN: over 2.5 million people face food emergency because of the civil war
- 2015-02-04 - Year of Consecrated Life: Religious committed to healing the wounds of the Civil War
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees