AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "We are tired of war, we need peace"; Christian leaders’ appeal
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "We condemn the senseless killing of civilians and we call on President Salva Kiir Mayardit and former Vice President Riek Machar to stop the fighting and negotiate peacefully instead of resorting to arms", say the Christian leaders of South Sudan in an appeal launched by the newspaper "Sudan Tribune".
Since 15 December, fighting between the fighters of Kiir and Machar, have caused the deaths of more than 1,000 people and displaced 200,000.
"We are tired of war, we need peace and south Sudanese peace is African peace" say the Christian leaders calling for the mediation of the Kenyan government, of the UN, of the Inter- Governmental Authority for Development, of Britain and the United States.
The statement continues and underlines the need that the divergence between the two political leaders (Kiir is a Dinka while Machar is a Nuer) does not turn into an ethnic - tribal conflict".
We strongly recommend that all the tribes whether they are Dinka, Nuer, Shiluk, Lotuko, etc. are not involved in the violence. The conflict which broke out recently in Juba should not be confused as a Dinka - Nuer conflict but must be seen as a clash between politicians".
Today, January 7, talks among representatives of Kiir and Machar started in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) to try and find a peaceful solution to the conflict. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
- 2014-03-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New round of peace talks in South Sudan
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Despite the truce, clashes continue: aid, medicines and therapeutic food are needed
- 2014-02-01 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The Bishops: "Do not exclude the Church and civil society from peace talks"