AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "We are tired of war, we need peace"; Christian leaders’ appeal
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "We condemn the senseless killing of civilians and we call on President Salva Kiir Mayardit and former Vice President Riek Machar to stop the fighting and negotiate peacefully instead of resorting to arms", say the Christian leaders of South Sudan in an appeal launched by the newspaper "Sudan Tribune".
Since 15 December, fighting between the fighters of Kiir and Machar, have caused the deaths of more than 1,000 people and displaced 200,000.
"We are tired of war, we need peace and south Sudanese peace is African peace" say the Christian leaders calling for the mediation of the Kenyan government, of the UN, of the Inter- Governmental Authority for Development, of Britain and the United States.
The statement continues and underlines the need that the divergence between the two political leaders (Kiir is a Dinka while Machar is a Nuer) does not turn into an ethnic - tribal conflict".
We strongly recommend that all the tribes whether they are Dinka, Nuer, Shiluk, Lotuko, etc. are not involved in the violence. The conflict which broke out recently in Juba should not be confused as a Dinka - Nuer conflict but must be seen as a clash between politicians".
Today, January 7, talks among representatives of Kiir and Machar started in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) to try and find a peaceful solution to the conflict. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children
- 2015-02-19 - Elections postponed: a contribution towards peace
- 2015-02-10 - The UN: over 2.5 million people face food emergency because of the civil war
- 2015-02-04 - Year of Consecrated Life: Religious committed to healing the wounds of the Civil War
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"