AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "We are tired of war, we need peace"; Christian leaders’ appeal
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "We condemn the senseless killing of civilians and we call on President Salva Kiir Mayardit and former Vice President Riek Machar to stop the fighting and negotiate peacefully instead of resorting to arms", say the Christian leaders of South Sudan in an appeal launched by the newspaper "Sudan Tribune".
Since 15 December, fighting between the fighters of Kiir and Machar, have caused the deaths of more than 1,000 people and displaced 200,000.
"We are tired of war, we need peace and south Sudanese peace is African peace" say the Christian leaders calling for the mediation of the Kenyan government, of the UN, of the Inter- Governmental Authority for Development, of Britain and the United States.
The statement continues and underlines the need that the divergence between the two political leaders (Kiir is a Dinka while Machar is a Nuer) does not turn into an ethnic - tribal conflict".
We strongly recommend that all the tribes whether they are Dinka, Nuer, Shiluk, Lotuko, etc. are not involved in the violence. The conflict which broke out recently in Juba should not be confused as a Dinka - Nuer conflict but must be seen as a clash between politicians".
Today, January 7, talks among representatives of Kiir and Machar started in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) to try and find a peaceful solution to the conflict. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
- 2015-11-09 - Violence, food insecurity, malnutrition: the population is exhausted
- 2015-11-04 - "South Sudan is not prepared to deal with terrorist infiltration"
- 2015-11-03 - Appeals from religious leaders regarding the fate of 80,000 displaced people in the woods
- 2015-11-03 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – The civil war continues to penalize the population: now the aim is survival
- 2015-10-20 - Apostolic Administrator of Torit: "It is more important to implement the peace agreement than create new States"
- 2015-10-08 - Perplexity about the creation of 28 new States
- 2015-10-02 - Malaria: 4,000 cases a week and the death of three children a day
- 2015-09-22 - Women, widows and orphans who live in absolute precariousness continues to increase
- 2015-09-15 - A Comboni Congolese missionary wounded in a road ambush
- 2015-09-03 - The Archbishop of Juba will inform Pope Francis on the situation in his country