AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "We are tired of war, we need peace"; Christian leaders’ appeal
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "We condemn the senseless killing of civilians and we call on President Salva Kiir Mayardit and former Vice President Riek Machar to stop the fighting and negotiate peacefully instead of resorting to arms", say the Christian leaders of South Sudan in an appeal launched by the newspaper "Sudan Tribune".
Since 15 December, fighting between the fighters of Kiir and Machar, have caused the deaths of more than 1,000 people and displaced 200,000.
"We are tired of war, we need peace and south Sudanese peace is African peace" say the Christian leaders calling for the mediation of the Kenyan government, of the UN, of the Inter- Governmental Authority for Development, of Britain and the United States.
The statement continues and underlines the need that the divergence between the two political leaders (Kiir is a Dinka while Machar is a Nuer) does not turn into an ethnic - tribal conflict".
We strongly recommend that all the tribes whether they are Dinka, Nuer, Shiluk, Lotuko, etc. are not involved in the violence. The conflict which broke out recently in Juba should not be confused as a Dinka - Nuer conflict but must be seen as a clash between politicians".
Today, January 7, talks among representatives of Kiir and Machar started in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) to try and find a peaceful solution to the conflict. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders
- 2015-04-22 - Malakal: heavy fighting between soldiers from three different ethnic groups
- 2015-04-21 - Peripheral areas left to themselves due to national conflict: tribal clashes reawaken
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau
- 2015-03-11 - The suffering of the population will increase with the war; the Church is making huge efforts
- 2015-03-10 - The civil war is likely to resume after the failure of Negotiations
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children