AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "We are tired of war, we need peace"; Christian leaders’ appeal
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "We condemn the senseless killing of civilians and we call on President Salva Kiir Mayardit and former Vice President Riek Machar to stop the fighting and negotiate peacefully instead of resorting to arms", say the Christian leaders of South Sudan in an appeal launched by the newspaper "Sudan Tribune".
Since 15 December, fighting between the fighters of Kiir and Machar, have caused the deaths of more than 1,000 people and displaced 200,000.
"We are tired of war, we need peace and south Sudanese peace is African peace" say the Christian leaders calling for the mediation of the Kenyan government, of the UN, of the Inter- Governmental Authority for Development, of Britain and the United States.
The statement continues and underlines the need that the divergence between the two political leaders (Kiir is a Dinka while Machar is a Nuer) does not turn into an ethnic - tribal conflict".
We strongly recommend that all the tribes whether they are Dinka, Nuer, Shiluk, Lotuko, etc. are not involved in the violence. The conflict which broke out recently in Juba should not be confused as a Dinka - Nuer conflict but must be seen as a clash between politicians".
Today, January 7, talks among representatives of Kiir and Machar started in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) to try and find a peaceful solution to the conflict. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
- 2014-08-20 - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
- 2014-08-19 - The Bishops' Conference define the closure of Radio Bakhita "unfortunate"
- 2014-08-18 - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
- 2014-08-05 - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia