ASIA/SYRIA - The Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: "At the Geneva 2 one has to take cognizance of the fact that Syria is not Libya"
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - "The participants at the Geneva 2 Conference will have to start respecting the characteristics of their Syrian Country". This is how the Bishop of Aleppo of the Chaldean, Antoine Audo describes the only approach that can ensure concrete results at the next International Conference of Peace on Syria scheduled in Montreux, Switzerland, on January 22. "We believe that we must respect the Country with its problems, support it in its progressive journey towards justice and freedom", added the Chaldean Bishop "rather than taking advantage of its weakness simply to destroy it.
As men of the Church, this is the perspective with which we look at the present and the future of Syria. And we ask ourselves what and why is there the need to destroy a Country that was stable and also safeguarded treasures of civilization. Maybe someone thought that Syria was like Libya, that it was easy to change the system from the outside, perhaps for economic interests. As it turns out, it was fallacious conjecture".
Bishop Audo expresses gratitude "for what Pope Francis is doing in favor of peace. I was told that in coming days there will be a study day on the tragedy of the Syrian people at the Vatican. Even here there will be elements of reflection that could be useful during the Geneva 2 Conference". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/01/2014)
- 2014-04-15 - A missile on an Armenian Catholic school: a child killed, 61 injured
- 2014-04-15 - Churches devastated and icons desecrated in Maalula
- 2014-04-14 - The government army regains control of the city of Maalula
- 2014-04-08 - "Difficult times will come". After the assassination of Father Van der Lugt, Christians continue to pray and reflect on martyrdom
- 2014-04-07 - A Jesuit Killed in Homs
- 2014-03-28 - Missile on an Armenian church in Aleppo during Mass
- 2014-03-25 - The Armenian Catholic Patriarch: the Christians who fled from Kessab have to deal with the emergency with a spirit of communion
- 2014-03-17 - Bishop Audo: war devastates the hearts; and the work of Caritas opens new fronts
- 2014-03-14 - Archbishop Nassar: signs of hope in our Lent spent in war
- 2014-03-12 - ASIA/SYRIA – In Aleppo, the Order of Malta inaugurates three new mobile clinics for refugees