ASIA/SYRIA - The Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: "At the Geneva 2 one has to take cognizance of the fact that Syria is not Libya"
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - "The participants at the Geneva 2 Conference will have to start respecting the characteristics of their Syrian Country". This is how the Bishop of Aleppo of the Chaldean, Antoine Audo describes the only approach that can ensure concrete results at the next International Conference of Peace on Syria scheduled in Montreux, Switzerland, on January 22. "We believe that we must respect the Country with its problems, support it in its progressive journey towards justice and freedom", added the Chaldean Bishop "rather than taking advantage of its weakness simply to destroy it.
As men of the Church, this is the perspective with which we look at the present and the future of Syria. And we ask ourselves what and why is there the need to destroy a Country that was stable and also safeguarded treasures of civilization. Maybe someone thought that Syria was like Libya, that it was easy to change the system from the outside, perhaps for economic interests. As it turns out, it was fallacious conjecture".
Bishop Audo expresses gratitude "for what Pope Francis is doing in favor of peace. I was told that in coming days there will be a study day on the tragedy of the Syrian people at the Vatican. Even here there will be elements of reflection that could be useful during the Geneva 2 Conference". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/01/2014)
- 2015-05-28 - Appeal of the Marists of Aleppo to the Pope: if you want Christians to remain, the war must be stopped
- 2015-05-27 - Assyrian hostages: jihadists release two women
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus