ASIA/SYRIA - The Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: "At the Geneva 2 one has to take cognizance of the fact that Syria is not Libya"
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - "The participants at the Geneva 2 Conference will have to start respecting the characteristics of their Syrian Country". This is how the Bishop of Aleppo of the Chaldean, Antoine Audo describes the only approach that can ensure concrete results at the next International Conference of Peace on Syria scheduled in Montreux, Switzerland, on January 22. "We believe that we must respect the Country with its problems, support it in its progressive journey towards justice and freedom", added the Chaldean Bishop "rather than taking advantage of its weakness simply to destroy it.
As men of the Church, this is the perspective with which we look at the present and the future of Syria. And we ask ourselves what and why is there the need to destroy a Country that was stable and also safeguarded treasures of civilization. Maybe someone thought that Syria was like Libya, that it was easy to change the system from the outside, perhaps for economic interests. As it turns out, it was fallacious conjecture".
Bishop Audo expresses gratitude "for what Pope Francis is doing in favor of peace. I was told that in coming days there will be a study day on the tragedy of the Syrian people at the Vatican. Even here there will be elements of reflection that could be useful during the Geneva 2 Conference". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/01/2014)
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers
- 2014-10-08 - The Franciscan priest kidnapped after he had appealed to the Islamic Court
- 2014-10-07 - Custody of the Holy Land: Fr. Jallouf and other Christians kidnapped by the jihadists linked to al-Nusra