AFRICA/EGYPT - Patriarch Tawadros cancels catechesis in program on the day of the Constitutional Referendum
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - As the people of Egypt are preparing for a referendum to express their degree of agreement on the text of the new Constitution, the Patriarch of Alexandria of the Coptic Orthodox Tawadros II decided to cancel the traditional Wednesday catechesis that was supposed to be held in conjunction with the referendum. The constitutional referendum is scheduled on Tuesday 14 and Wednesday 15 January, and yesterday sources of the Orthodox Patriarchate communicated that the traditional meeting of prayer and catechesis that Pope Tawadros holds every Wednesday at the Cathedral of Cairo will be canceled. Also on January 8, Pope Tawadros will not be in the capital, since he will be at the monastery of Deir Anba Bishoy in Wadi Natrun. The next patriarchal catechesis is scheduled for January 22. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 02/01/2014)
- 2015-05-28 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic boys released, falsely accused of an "insulting" video towards Islam
- 2015-05-26 - The Council of Christian Churches celebrate the second anniversary of its founding
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied