AFRICA/EGYPT - Patriarch Tawadros cancels catechesis in program on the day of the Constitutional Referendum
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - As the people of Egypt are preparing for a referendum to express their degree of agreement on the text of the new Constitution, the Patriarch of Alexandria of the Coptic Orthodox Tawadros II decided to cancel the traditional Wednesday catechesis that was supposed to be held in conjunction with the referendum. The constitutional referendum is scheduled on Tuesday 14 and Wednesday 15 January, and yesterday sources of the Orthodox Patriarchate communicated that the traditional meeting of prayer and catechesis that Pope Tawadros holds every Wednesday at the Cathedral of Cairo will be canceled. Also on January 8, Pope Tawadros will not be in the capital, since he will be at the monastery of Deir Anba Bishoy in Wadi Natrun. The next patriarchal catechesis is scheduled for January 22. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 02/01/2014)
- 2015-08-28 - The Coptic Church: the life of the Country depends on the "good health" of the Nile
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan