AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Decent work against the culture of waste": the Pope's message to the MTE
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides ) - Pope Francis sent a video message to the collectors and recyclers of cardboard, encouraging them to continue to develop forms of decent work in the ecological field, asking to raise awareness of what it means to throw food away as a result of the "culture of waste".
According to the note sent to Fides Agency by AICA, the Pope filmed this video message during a private audience on December 5, with a leader of the Excluded Workers Movement ( MTE); the video was then released at a meeting of the Federation of "Cartoneros y Recicladores".
The Pope invited to reflect on this kind of work, he urged them to not look over what is leftover. "We are living in a throwaway culture, where we easily toss away not only things, but people", the Pope said, and added: "that food which is discarded could feed all the hungry people of the world".
"When you recycle, two things are produced: an ecological work, which is necessary, and on the other hand, a production that promotes brotherhood and gives dignity to one’s work, you have to be creative in your production, but also creative in caring for the earth, of the world in this ecological dimension", he concluded.
The Pope is closely monitoring the situation of this group of workers: on December 15 Juan Grabois, a member of the Movimiento de Trabajadores excluidos (MTE), was summoned by the Pope to attend the interview on "The emergencia de la Exclusion" in the Vatican. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/12/2013)
- 2015-11-20 - Thousands occupy houses and land, the Bishop denounces the absence of state authorities
- 2015-11-17 - Family, formation of priests, environmental problems: the topics analyzed by the Bishops
- 2015-11-11 - 140 years ago the first group of Salesian missionaries arrived in Patagonia
- 2015-11-09 - Assembly of Bishops in progress: Eucharistic Congress, family and priestly formation Buenos
- 2015-11-05 - Mining company withdraws from La Rioja: statement of the Bishop and the Deputy Governor
- 2015-11-04 - The request of the diocese to the State: "Do not suspend the subsidies to schools"
- 2015-11-03 - National Day of the Sick, an opportunity aimed to arouse greater sensitivity
- 2015-10-26 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – First stage of Bishop’s beatification process expected to take two years
- 2015-10-06 - Mgr. Gimeno in view of the elections: "We must learn to choose before voting"
- 2015-09-24 - Over 40% of the poor in the capital is under 14 years of age