AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Decent work against the culture of waste": the Pope's message to the MTE
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides ) - Pope Francis sent a video message to the collectors and recyclers of cardboard, encouraging them to continue to develop forms of decent work in the ecological field, asking to raise awareness of what it means to throw food away as a result of the "culture of waste".
According to the note sent to Fides Agency by AICA, the Pope filmed this video message during a private audience on December 5, with a leader of the Excluded Workers Movement ( MTE); the video was then released at a meeting of the Federation of "Cartoneros y Recicladores".
The Pope invited to reflect on this kind of work, he urged them to not look over what is leftover. "We are living in a throwaway culture, where we easily toss away not only things, but people", the Pope said, and added: "that food which is discarded could feed all the hungry people of the world".
"When you recycle, two things are produced: an ecological work, which is necessary, and on the other hand, a production that promotes brotherhood and gives dignity to one’s work, you have to be creative in your production, but also creative in caring for the earth, of the world in this ecological dimension", he concluded.
The Pope is closely monitoring the situation of this group of workers: on December 15 Juan Grabois, a member of the Movimiento de Trabajadores excluidos (MTE), was summoned by the Pope to attend the interview on "The emergencia de la Exclusion" in the Vatican. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/12/2013)
- 2015-07-22 - "Bring Christ to families": hundreds of young people on a mission to Goya
- 2015-07-21 - "Mission, a way of life": towards the fourth National Meeting of Missionary Groups
- 2015-07-15 - Nearly 30 percent of Argentines live in a situation of poverty
- 2015-07-10 - The Archbishop of Tucuman denounces: laws that violate the rights and freedom of conscience, attacks against the Church, a climate of fear
- 2015-06-24 - Bishop of Jujuy: "We need the State’s strong support against drugs"
- 2015-06-18 - The first Congress on intercultural and interreligious dialogue
- 2015-06-12 - "We are concerned about the new poor", said Mgr. Ojea, head of Caritas
- 2015-06-11 - "In this America's Cup, and always, say no to trafficking": campaign against human trafficking
- 2015-05-28 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Child nutrition, drugs and poverty: meeting of Bishops and authorities of Buenos Aires
- 2015-05-26 - The Church's message for the National holiday: no to hatred, play politics with moral integrity