AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Decent work against the culture of waste": the Pope's message to the MTE
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides ) - Pope Francis sent a video message to the collectors and recyclers of cardboard, encouraging them to continue to develop forms of decent work in the ecological field, asking to raise awareness of what it means to throw food away as a result of the "culture of waste".
According to the note sent to Fides Agency by AICA, the Pope filmed this video message during a private audience on December 5, with a leader of the Excluded Workers Movement ( MTE); the video was then released at a meeting of the Federation of "Cartoneros y Recicladores".
The Pope invited to reflect on this kind of work, he urged them to not look over what is leftover. "We are living in a throwaway culture, where we easily toss away not only things, but people", the Pope said, and added: "that food which is discarded could feed all the hungry people of the world".
"When you recycle, two things are produced: an ecological work, which is necessary, and on the other hand, a production that promotes brotherhood and gives dignity to one’s work, you have to be creative in your production, but also creative in caring for the earth, of the world in this ecological dimension", he concluded.
The Pope is closely monitoring the situation of this group of workers: on December 15 Juan Grabois, a member of the Movimiento de Trabajadores excluidos (MTE), was summoned by the Pope to attend the interview on "The emergencia de la Exclusion" in the Vatican. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/12/2013)
- 2014-08-21 - The Church launches an alarm regarding the increase of suicides among teenagers
- 2014-08-06 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Pope Francis welcomes the opening of a reception center for victims of sexual exploitation
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites
- 2014-05-28 - Church and civil authorities together for the safety of citizens
- 2014-05-26 - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
- 2014-05-14 - "The country is sick of violence": proposal of Bishops to respond to this reality