AMERICA/PERU - Christmas in the sign of solidarity and respect for the rights of all
Huancayo (Agenzia Fides) - In the Archdiocese of Huancayo (Peru), Christmas this year will be dedicated to prayer and reflection for the poor and those who suffer the injustices of a secularized world in which material values are preferred to spiritual ones such as love and peace.
For this reason, Mgr. Pedro Barreto Jimeno, SJ., Archbishop of Huancayo has made an appeal for solidarity with the peoples of the region and the country that are suffering the consequences of climate change and with the families of the Andean region, where there are no cheap resources in order to live with dignity.
The note sent to Fides by the Peruvian Episcopal Conference, reports that the Archbishop has asked, in particular, to sympathize with the families of the mining town of Morococha who are still unable to re-settle in the new city, after they were forced to abandon their historic city to make way for the mine of Toromocho.
On December 11, the Archdiocese of Huancayo in a statement called on the President of the Republic and Members of parliament to resolve the "Social Emergency of Morococha", where since August 2009 several families in the area have not yet been transferred to the new city and live in a transient and precarious situation. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo
- 2014-03-21 - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures
- 2014-03-07 - The Church denounces the alarming pollution of the Peruvian forest
- 2014-02-27 - “Ninos de plomo” Children of Lead: education programme for mineral contaminated minors
- 2014-02-19 - "For a participated and technical debate": the Bishops on the university law
- 2014-01-28 - Dispute between Peru and Chile: an example of how to resolve differences in a peaceful manner
- 2014-01-21 - In prayer for harmony among the peoples, pending the judgment of the Hague
- 2014-01-20 - The Bishops gathered in Plenary Assembly
- 2014-01-14 - "Without communication, there are no rights"