AMERICA/PERU - Christmas in the sign of solidarity and respect for the rights of all
Huancayo (Agenzia Fides) - In the Archdiocese of Huancayo (Peru), Christmas this year will be dedicated to prayer and reflection for the poor and those who suffer the injustices of a secularized world in which material values are preferred to spiritual ones such as love and peace.
For this reason, Mgr. Pedro Barreto Jimeno, SJ., Archbishop of Huancayo has made an appeal for solidarity with the peoples of the region and the country that are suffering the consequences of climate change and with the families of the Andean region, where there are no cheap resources in order to live with dignity.
The note sent to Fides by the Peruvian Episcopal Conference, reports that the Archbishop has asked, in particular, to sympathize with the families of the mining town of Morococha who are still unable to re-settle in the new city, after they were forced to abandon their historic city to make way for the mine of Toromocho.
On December 11, the Archdiocese of Huancayo in a statement called on the President of the Republic and Members of parliament to resolve the "Social Emergency of Morococha", where since August 2009 several families in the area have not yet been transferred to the new city and live in a transient and precarious situation. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2013)
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/PERU – 100 years of mission among indigenous women in the Amazon
- 2015-07-23 - Peru and Brazil together to eradicate child labour in Amazonia
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers