AMERICA/PERU - Christmas in the sign of solidarity and respect for the rights of all
Huancayo (Agenzia Fides) - In the Archdiocese of Huancayo (Peru), Christmas this year will be dedicated to prayer and reflection for the poor and those who suffer the injustices of a secularized world in which material values are preferred to spiritual ones such as love and peace.
For this reason, Mgr. Pedro Barreto Jimeno, SJ., Archbishop of Huancayo has made an appeal for solidarity with the peoples of the region and the country that are suffering the consequences of climate change and with the families of the Andean region, where there are no cheap resources in order to live with dignity.
The note sent to Fides by the Peruvian Episcopal Conference, reports that the Archbishop has asked, in particular, to sympathize with the families of the mining town of Morococha who are still unable to re-settle in the new city, after they were forced to abandon their historic city to make way for the mine of Toromocho.
On December 11, the Archdiocese of Huancayo in a statement called on the President of the Republic and Members of parliament to resolve the "Social Emergency of Morococha", where since August 2009 several families in the area have not yet been transferred to the new city and live in a transient and precarious situation. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2013)
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries