AMERICA/PERU - Christmas in the sign of solidarity and respect for the rights of all
Huancayo (Agenzia Fides) - In the Archdiocese of Huancayo (Peru), Christmas this year will be dedicated to prayer and reflection for the poor and those who suffer the injustices of a secularized world in which material values are preferred to spiritual ones such as love and peace.
For this reason, Mgr. Pedro Barreto Jimeno, SJ., Archbishop of Huancayo has made an appeal for solidarity with the peoples of the region and the country that are suffering the consequences of climate change and with the families of the Andean region, where there are no cheap resources in order to live with dignity.
The note sent to Fides by the Peruvian Episcopal Conference, reports that the Archbishop has asked, in particular, to sympathize with the families of the mining town of Morococha who are still unable to re-settle in the new city, after they were forced to abandon their historic city to make way for the mine of Toromocho.
On December 11, the Archdiocese of Huancayo in a statement called on the President of the Republic and Members of parliament to resolve the "Social Emergency of Morococha", where since August 2009 several families in the area have not yet been transferred to the new city and live in a transient and precarious situation. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2013)
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo
- 2014-03-21 - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures