AMERICA/PERU - Christmas in the sign of solidarity and respect for the rights of all
Huancayo (Agenzia Fides) - In the Archdiocese of Huancayo (Peru), Christmas this year will be dedicated to prayer and reflection for the poor and those who suffer the injustices of a secularized world in which material values are preferred to spiritual ones such as love and peace.
For this reason, Mgr. Pedro Barreto Jimeno, SJ., Archbishop of Huancayo has made an appeal for solidarity with the peoples of the region and the country that are suffering the consequences of climate change and with the families of the Andean region, where there are no cheap resources in order to live with dignity.
The note sent to Fides by the Peruvian Episcopal Conference, reports that the Archbishop has asked, in particular, to sympathize with the families of the mining town of Morococha who are still unable to re-settle in the new city, after they were forced to abandon their historic city to make way for the mine of Toromocho.
On December 11, the Archdiocese of Huancayo in a statement called on the President of the Republic and Members of parliament to resolve the "Social Emergency of Morococha", where since August 2009 several families in the area have not yet been transferred to the new city and live in a transient and precarious situation. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2013)
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation
- 2014-11-15 - "Network for a Culture of meeting", also Cusco present at the XIII Meeting of RIIAL
- 2014-11-05 - The Bishops are always close to the 3 and a half million Peruvians away from home
- 2014-10-31 - Thousands of young people on pilgrimage instead of the "Feast of Hallowen"
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth
- 2014-09-23 - "Gold fever" increases human trafficking and sexual exploitation
- 2014-09-19 - The activist who fought for the Amazonian forest, against the deforestation of his land killed
- 2014-09-10 - “Young people without frontiers”: witnesses and proclaimers of the faith to the world of today