AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "More than a religious clash it is a fratricidal struggle among Central Africans", says the Bishop of Bossangoa
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) – Religion is manipulated for political ends, denounces Mgr. Nestor Désiré Nongo -Aziagba, Bishop of Bossangoa, the town in the west of the Central African Republic, where despite the presence of French troops, looting, houses which are burnt and violence against civilians continue.
"Two armed groups are fighting each other", said the Bishop. "On the one hand the Seleka and on the other, the anti Balaka. Although the characteristic of these movements may suggest a religious conflict between Muslims and Christians, it is first of all a fratricidal struggle among Central Africans".
Mgr. Nongo-Aziagba insists "on the restoration of State authority throughout the territory", and the end of impunity in order to get Central Africa out of the worst crisis in its history. Finally, one should highlight the competition for the control of the natural resources in Central Africa, such as diamonds and uranium, carried out by external actors that fuel the ongoing conflict, by supporting the various warring factions. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam