AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "More than a religious clash it is a fratricidal struggle among Central Africans", says the Bishop of Bossangoa
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) – Religion is manipulated for political ends, denounces Mgr. Nestor Désiré Nongo -Aziagba, Bishop of Bossangoa, the town in the west of the Central African Republic, where despite the presence of French troops, looting, houses which are burnt and violence against civilians continue.
"Two armed groups are fighting each other", said the Bishop. "On the one hand the Seleka and on the other, the anti Balaka. Although the characteristic of these movements may suggest a religious conflict between Muslims and Christians, it is first of all a fratricidal struggle among Central Africans".
Mgr. Nongo-Aziagba insists "on the restoration of State authority throughout the territory", and the end of impunity in order to get Central Africa out of the worst crisis in its history. Finally, one should highlight the competition for the control of the natural resources in Central Africa, such as diamonds and uranium, carried out by external actors that fuel the ongoing conflict, by supporting the various warring factions. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2013)
- 2014-09-18 - "He protected the Muslims": the Alison Des Forges Award to a Central African camillian
- 2014-09-16 - “Central African crisis not insuperable” says Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-08-18 - The Archbishop of Bangui to politicians "stop the suffering of the people as soon as possible"
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed
- 2014-07-08 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
- 2014-07-01 - Twelve thousand refugees in the Cathedral of Bambari, the Bishop's appeal to Fides
- 2014-06-30 - "Civil society organizes itself, but authorities do not always help", says a missionary
- 2014-06-12 - The Archbishop of Bangui brings aid to 600 Muslims fleeing violence