AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "More than a religious clash it is a fratricidal struggle among Central Africans", says the Bishop of Bossangoa
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) – Religion is manipulated for political ends, denounces Mgr. Nestor Désiré Nongo -Aziagba, Bishop of Bossangoa, the town in the west of the Central African Republic, where despite the presence of French troops, looting, houses which are burnt and violence against civilians continue.
"Two armed groups are fighting each other", said the Bishop. "On the one hand the Seleka and on the other, the anti Balaka. Although the characteristic of these movements may suggest a religious conflict between Muslims and Christians, it is first of all a fratricidal struggle among Central Africans".
Mgr. Nongo-Aziagba insists "on the restoration of State authority throughout the territory", and the end of impunity in order to get Central Africa out of the worst crisis in its history. Finally, one should highlight the competition for the control of the natural resources in Central Africa, such as diamonds and uranium, carried out by external actors that fuel the ongoing conflict, by supporting the various warring factions. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2013)
- 2015-03-26 - Caritas Bangui distributes aid to the displaced Muslims in Mbaiki
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui