AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The rebels have conquered the capital of Jonglei State; "Very dangerous situation" say Church sources
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "The Country is going in a really dangerous direction, toward a kind of ethnic conflict although it should be pointed out that the ethnic issue is exploited for the purpose of power" say local church sources from South Sudan to Fides Agency, devastated by the clashes between military units loyal to President Salva Kiir and those rebels who support former Vice President Riek Machar.
The authorities in Juba have announced that the city of Bor, the capital of Jonglei State is falling into the hands of an army unit that defected in favor of Machar. "The result of the ethnic conflict was seen already during clashes between the 15th and 16th of December in the capital Juba when several people were killed on the basis of ethnicity".
"The risk is that the conflict extends to other areas of South Sudan and that is why the main Christian denominations in the Country, the Catholic, the Anglican and Presbyterian Church, have immediately appealed for calm and reconciliation, inviting all to avoid exacerbating the conflict", concludes our source (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2013)
- 2014-08-20 - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
- 2014-08-19 - The Bishops' Conference define the closure of Radio Bakhita "unfortunate"
- 2014-08-18 - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
- 2014-08-05 - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia