AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The rebels have conquered the capital of Jonglei State; "Very dangerous situation" say Church sources
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "The Country is going in a really dangerous direction, toward a kind of ethnic conflict although it should be pointed out that the ethnic issue is exploited for the purpose of power" say local church sources from South Sudan to Fides Agency, devastated by the clashes between military units loyal to President Salva Kiir and those rebels who support former Vice President Riek Machar.
The authorities in Juba have announced that the city of Bor, the capital of Jonglei State is falling into the hands of an army unit that defected in favor of Machar. "The result of the ethnic conflict was seen already during clashes between the 15th and 16th of December in the capital Juba when several people were killed on the basis of ethnicity".
"The risk is that the conflict extends to other areas of South Sudan and that is why the main Christian denominations in the Country, the Catholic, the Anglican and Presbyterian Church, have immediately appealed for calm and reconciliation, inviting all to avoid exacerbating the conflict", concludes our source (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2013)
- 2014-03-11 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Inauguration of the pediatric wing of the hospital in Yirol
- 2014-03-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New round of peace talks in South Sudan
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Despite the truce, clashes continue: aid, medicines and therapeutic food are needed