AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The rebels have conquered the capital of Jonglei State; "Very dangerous situation" say Church sources
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "The Country is going in a really dangerous direction, toward a kind of ethnic conflict although it should be pointed out that the ethnic issue is exploited for the purpose of power" say local church sources from South Sudan to Fides Agency, devastated by the clashes between military units loyal to President Salva Kiir and those rebels who support former Vice President Riek Machar.
The authorities in Juba have announced that the city of Bor, the capital of Jonglei State is falling into the hands of an army unit that defected in favor of Machar. "The result of the ethnic conflict was seen already during clashes between the 15th and 16th of December in the capital Juba when several people were killed on the basis of ethnicity".
"The risk is that the conflict extends to other areas of South Sudan and that is why the main Christian denominations in the Country, the Catholic, the Anglican and Presbyterian Church, have immediately appealed for calm and reconciliation, inviting all to avoid exacerbating the conflict", concludes our source (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2013)
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda
- 2014-09-19 - South Sudan's Bakhita Radio can resume broadcasts, but without political issues
- 2014-09-17 - Malakal destroyed by the war - testimony of a nun