AMERICA/NICARAGUA - National dialogue to find solutions concerning the serious problem of prisons
Juigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - Faced with overcrowding, poor conditions in the prisons of the country and cases of abuse in the prisons of Juigalpa, the Bishop of Juigalpa (area of San Juan and Rio Chontales), His Exc. Mgr. René Sócrates Sándigo Jirón, suggested to the Minister of Government Ana Isabel Morales, that national dialogue should be promoted to face the issue, in order to unite efforts in the search for appropriate solutions.
A note sent to Fides Agency by a local source, reads: "The prisons are a ticking time bomb, and despite this, the Catholic Church, over the years has always given its support to meet the needs of prisoners". Mgr. Sándigo Jirón adds: "before there was greater availability on behalf of the faithful for this type of commitment and help. Nowadays the channel of access has many obstacles, and this has meant that many volunteers do not have the same enthusiasm, they are disappointed and therefore aid decreases".
The Bishop insists on the need to "open to dialogue in search of a solution. Nowadays we have to thank the information that comes from within, because there is an investigative journalism that highlights such situations". Finally, he recalled that the Church has a vast pastoral concern for the entire population, but the pastoral care in prisons is one of the most important ones.
In Nicaragua, the Catholic Church, with its pastoral workers, is always present in prisons (see Fides 02/03/2012), not only for the care of prisoners but also in defense of their rights. From the information gathered by Fides, the situation in prisons is tremendous: there are 40 prisoners in cells built for 5 or 7. Prisoners have to even sleep in shifts because there is no space. There are places like Juigalpa, Granada, Chinandega, Tipitapa and Jinotega where the prison population is far above average. Only in the capital the situation seems to be under control. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2013)
- 2014-08-19 - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
- 2014-07-30 - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops
- 2014-07-22 - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
- 2014-06-04 - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
- 2014-05-22 - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
- 2014-05-20 - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
- 2014-05-14 - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
- 2014-04-08 - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
- 2014-03-26 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church
- 2014-03-20 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Dialogue is closer and closer: President Ortega has received the Bishops’ letter