AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "There is a risk that other areas protest" says a source of Fides
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "The lack of democratic attitudes towards the political opposition, especially since July this year, has given birth to an armed opposition that has attempted coup" says to Fides Agency a source of the local Church in South Sudan, a few days after the failed coup that caused at least 500 deaths in Juba.
"The coup failed in Juba but the organizers have managed to flee from the capital. Now the danger is that these leaders who also have an influence on the army, are able to provoke a revolt in other areas of the Country. Unfortunately, the tribal aspect still counts a lot. The risk is real, especially in the Upper Nile", says our source.
"According to information we have in Bor, the state capital of Jonglei, there are already riots", he adds.
"To understand the complex dynamics of the situation we must take into account that current President Salva Kiir is a Dinka from the area of Bar al-Ghazal, while John Garang (the historic southern Sudanese leader who died in a helicopter crash in 2005, ed.) was also a Dinka but from Bor, where now there are riots ", explains our source. "The Dinka people from Jonglei have never really accepted Kiir as President. Riek Machar, the Vice President, who was sacked in July, is instead a Nuer, the second ethnic group in South Sudan. It seems Machar organized the failed coup, with the help of some minority tribes".
"Unfortunately, in this scenario it seems that the well being of the nation is not first priority. We hope and pray that all those who have political and military responsibilities in this Country work for the good of the nation, setting aside, if this is the case, their personal ambitions", concludes our source. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/12/2013)
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders
- 2015-04-22 - Malakal: heavy fighting between soldiers from three different ethnic groups
- 2015-04-21 - Peripheral areas left to themselves due to national conflict: tribal clashes reawaken
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau
- 2015-03-11 - The suffering of the population will increase with the war; the Church is making huge efforts
- 2015-03-10 - The civil war is likely to resume after the failure of Negotiations
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children
- 2015-02-19 - Elections postponed: a contribution towards peace
- 2015-02-10 - The UN: over 2.5 million people face food emergency because of the civil war