AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "There is a risk that other areas protest" says a source of Fides
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "The lack of democratic attitudes towards the political opposition, especially since July this year, has given birth to an armed opposition that has attempted coup" says to Fides Agency a source of the local Church in South Sudan, a few days after the failed coup that caused at least 500 deaths in Juba.
"The coup failed in Juba but the organizers have managed to flee from the capital. Now the danger is that these leaders who also have an influence on the army, are able to provoke a revolt in other areas of the Country. Unfortunately, the tribal aspect still counts a lot. The risk is real, especially in the Upper Nile", says our source.
"According to information we have in Bor, the state capital of Jonglei, there are already riots", he adds.
"To understand the complex dynamics of the situation we must take into account that current President Salva Kiir is a Dinka from the area of Bar al-Ghazal, while John Garang (the historic southern Sudanese leader who died in a helicopter crash in 2005, ed.) was also a Dinka but from Bor, where now there are riots ", explains our source. "The Dinka people from Jonglei have never really accepted Kiir as President. Riek Machar, the Vice President, who was sacked in July, is instead a Nuer, the second ethnic group in South Sudan. It seems Machar organized the failed coup, with the help of some minority tribes".
"Unfortunately, in this scenario it seems that the well being of the nation is not first priority. We hope and pray that all those who have political and military responsibilities in this Country work for the good of the nation, setting aside, if this is the case, their personal ambitions", concludes our source. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/12/2013)
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia
- 2014-05-23 - 132 children abducted by the LRA have been released
- 2014-05-14 - Appeal of the World Council of Churches: "With the agreement signed, the real work starts now"
- 2014-05-05 - "Untold suffering of more than five thousand Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs" denounces the Assistant Parish Priest in Abyei
- 2014-04-30 - Child soldiers leave school to "avenge" their parents' death
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"