AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "There is a risk that other areas protest" says a source of Fides
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "The lack of democratic attitudes towards the political opposition, especially since July this year, has given birth to an armed opposition that has attempted coup" says to Fides Agency a source of the local Church in South Sudan, a few days after the failed coup that caused at least 500 deaths in Juba.
"The coup failed in Juba but the organizers have managed to flee from the capital. Now the danger is that these leaders who also have an influence on the army, are able to provoke a revolt in other areas of the Country. Unfortunately, the tribal aspect still counts a lot. The risk is real, especially in the Upper Nile", says our source.
"According to information we have in Bor, the state capital of Jonglei, there are already riots", he adds.
"To understand the complex dynamics of the situation we must take into account that current President Salva Kiir is a Dinka from the area of Bar al-Ghazal, while John Garang (the historic southern Sudanese leader who died in a helicopter crash in 2005, ed.) was also a Dinka but from Bor, where now there are riots ", explains our source. "The Dinka people from Jonglei have never really accepted Kiir as President. Riek Machar, the Vice President, who was sacked in July, is instead a Nuer, the second ethnic group in South Sudan. It seems Machar organized the failed coup, with the help of some minority tribes".
"Unfortunately, in this scenario it seems that the well being of the nation is not first priority. We hope and pray that all those who have political and military responsibilities in this Country work for the good of the nation, setting aside, if this is the case, their personal ambitions", concludes our source. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/12/2013)
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"