AFRICA/EGYPT - Penalty for the imam who burned the Bible has been reduced but confirmed
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - An Egyptian appeals court has rejected Imam Ahmad Abdullah Mahmoud's appeal, the Salafi preacher imprisoned and sentenced for burning a Bible. This was announced by Egyptian sources consulted by Fides Agency. The Imam’s appeal, however, has had the effect of reducing the sentence imposed from eleven to five years in prison.
Imam Abdullah, better known as Abu Islam, already the owner of the TV channel al-Ummah, had carried out the sacrilegious act on September 11, 2012, during demonstrations held in front of the U.S. embassy in Cairo to protest against a film that denigrated the Prophet Mohammad. These demonstrations were attended by many Christians.
Last February, Abu Islam issued a statement regarding the delirious cases of women raped during the demonstrations in Tahrir Square, claiming that rape victims had joined the demonstrations not to protest, but with the tacit desire "to be raped". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 18/12/2013)
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan
- 2015-06-25 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Gospel of Barnabas" is a fake